Three FW190's

Chris Walby

Hi and this will be a build log of two of Richards FW190's so we will just have to see how it works out!

Bit of background and so its my fault for badgering a club member to try out one of Richards kits! We will embark on building in parallel and have already agreed to clear any backlog on the building boards until post Christmas, but couldn't resist a spot of contents checking!

image.png.196a2af3e76a6905b94fff4ba06f1c40.png

I have selected Red 23 and the other is yet to be decided so I would like to think I could sit back take it easy, but I have two models that need finishing off so no slouching on my part! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Could a mod change the title to "Three FW190's" as little Jon 2 has joined in with the build, cheers

As its now 2024 my build has started FW190 No2 going through the dry fit process and FW190 No3 several dry fits over the previous few days, but no commitment to glue!

image.thumb.png.5e28f8227e35d42be9cff036a8f18ad3.png

So after the Sunday coffee and cake session there are a couple of questions if people can chip in please?

1. Is it a case of make your own motor box to suit what the individual has? 
  2. Motor box, what's suggested regarding material/thickness?
  3. Assuming it has no right or down thrust, but just wanted to check?
  4. Does the battery sit directly between F1 and F2, just seems a long way back, but don't seem to find any photos of others with batteries fitted?
  5. Is the tang sanded down so the cowl rung fits flush on F1?
    image.png.70d1c7d8db751f8e8b87f9ad2dafb135.png

Additionally a question from me

6. Is there any reason why the servo pocket is not rotated so that its parallel with aileron hinge line? I assume it can't go any further towards the wing tip due to the thickness of the wing?

image.thumb.png.ad7b01265008fec03fef64cd163582bd.png

Progress to date while the glue sets!

image.thumb.png.653ed6e86550879b5146eae1ebed6d22.png

Last but not least, big thanks to Richard, "the boys" and everyone else for what is going to be a great model and build.

PS, Getting ahead of myself, but where is the best place for the brown paper?

• Like 1

Hi Chris, the motor plate is in the kit mount the motor central, then pack it back from F1 to suit your chosen motor, I used 1/2" balsa made from two laminations off the tail plane scrap.  No right or down thrust. 

See photos for battery position. I used 4s 3600 it just fits and the hatch keeps it in place. 

I sanded the tongue flush I also bevelled the underside slightly as it goes in at an angle. 

Mine is covered in car masking paper not so easy to get now alternative is Tescos brown paper with the squares on the back. 

20240101_170635.jpg

20240101_170605.jpg

20240101_170358.jpg

• Like 1

All three builds making progress with James further along ( no racing here!) as can be seen with the pictures below. I am still trying to finish the Tigercat, make progress on another build and do justice for this one! Little Jon said he will send some photos as IIRC he ahs dry fitted everything, but is holding off the glue until he has seen all of my mistakes!

James's progress

image.thumb.png.6105a6cc118ca15dd8e607d4e1ef0f52.png

Of note James has gone for a fixed top hatch and removable cowl (though the very ice 3D printed fan - not shown!)

image.png.ddc1f483841a54152d0fff255b216df3.png

image.png.8fc4416307ac9bb3d186efc68385a220.png

• Like 2

John (dark horse) turned up with this, which was a bit of a surprise as last week he said he was still trial fitting things!

image.thumb.png.73cbed5b5832424d7abc4f87235f79a5.png

I have been messing around with the motor mount which is now complete, so have dropped back on to the wings. Hopefully progress on the fuselage in the week with the canopy and the tail end.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Update time!

Missed out on the FW flying as its still not finished so had to make do 😉 for 6 flights + 1 maiden and 3 training flights so a busy morning at the field!

image.thumb.png.09127972d0a2e519b7041f19dbc6d7eb.png

Might just glue the rudder hinges and get on with it as the rest is there from a flying perspective!

John's is ready, but the excuse today when he brought up his dolly is that its too wet and muddy and would wait until Easter!

James is in final painting stages... I think although he did say he was going to dope it as he likes the smell!

Mine has been papered and some paint, but I might just connect things up and go fly now the dolly is finished! This flying by the others is just too much pressure and I'll finish the painting and weathering later!

Prop testing with the model has given me 

13x8 470W

13x10 540W so I am going to go with the pitchy beast for starters, failing that either the 13x8 or a 14 inch prop if I have to. What's the view of the green chap with the wild hair? or anyone else?

With the Overlander 3548 900Kv motor I'm swinging a 12x8 prop and that gives it nearly 2:1 power to weight ratio and provides it with unlimited vertical. Going bigger will increase the chances of prop breakage on landings.

Mine is only a 600KV and anything under 13 inch dia and its doing less than 500W

13x10 yields 540 W and 120w/lb I don't want unlimited vertical or non scale, might even get away with the 13X8 if the dolly works well.

Will soon find out once it heads across the grass on its maiden

Good luck Eric , we need you leading the charge .

On another note . I have discovered one extra Fw190 in the special store .

If anyone that is building one , has a friend lamenting the fact that they missed the opportunity then this will be their moment . 

I will be starting the Tempest thread shortly and so not planning any further 190s till later in the year .

So to make this clear , in a sea of amusing comments There is one last FW190 kit up for grabs .