Warbirds Replicas FW190 2023 version - a VLOG of the build

Ron Gray

Good to see the ally tape being used for the canopy framing Ron - now, are your rivet counting credentials sufficient to take a small piece of sharpened brass tube and put some dummy rivets around the perimeter? Really useful stuff for covering up the occasional mishap, as a dummy repair patch, riveted onto the airframe over a bullet hole or similar - complete with flush rivets of a size that wouldn't be out of place on the Titanic.

Also interesting to see the use of the hot air gun for drying. That's a neat trick. One thing that delays painting for me - often for many weeks - is waiting for perfect conditions, like it says on the can - better than 20 degrees C before spraying. Do you find that those auto spray primers are okay to use at the low temperatures you are experiencing in your workshop, or even outdoors?

I have a range of ‘rivet’ tools that I use on these types of canopy, this is my Hurricane one finished using the same method

IMG_7141.thumb.jpeg.33f517dd4bd324f63aa3ddac8df996be.jpeg

IMG_7142.thumb.jpeg.f7aaf68e5a09dfd764bc6ba8fc460f14.jpeg

Regarding the automotive spray paint, I used it on this build with the temperature around the 5°C mark and that was outside (not much different to inside the workshop at the time). But I warm the spray up before with the heat gun as that will ensure a good flow of paint.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Good man - I knew that you wouldn't let me down. 😄

Hi Brian, 

I use auto spray primer similar to Ron's method. In the shed I have a small electric fan heater on cold days of which there are in abundance in the North East,  I warm whatever I am going to spray, then warm the aerosol as I shake it.

Always works for me 

• Like 1

And what really, really bugs me is that my original design for these was the right size but when I transferred it to make the masks in the cutting software it re-scaled it and I've only just realised it!

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Sad 1

I've been having the same problem in Powerpoint Ron - the stupid option when specifying A4 paper as the slide size and you have to select Maximise or Fit To Slide and, despite the careful measuring and setting up to the exact scale, when it comes to print out it's miles out. Infuriating. Not as infuriating as not being able to get my Corel Draw! to work, because it's now an eye-wateringly expensive subscription service and they've disabled the capability to use the software without being connected to the internet.

36 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

That's better

IMG_8489.thumb.jpeg.69c5db1c70f607af6f4112e2d5591484.jpeg

I’ll be watching this one with particular interest - just started my first attempt at panel lines which is fairly straightforward, but the dark arts of “weathering” are going to need some practicing, I think. I’ll watch and learn! And I’ll do the underside first, just in case! 🤣

The good thing if you are using charcoal for the lines etc you can always wash it off and start again and I’m going to be doing exactly that with the wing! Having said that, weathering imo is as much talking away as adding so fine grade sandpaper is your friend.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Thanks 1