Cold weather?

2 hours ago, FlyinFlynn said:

They really aren't that complicated, but they might mean your inheritance won't go where you might want them to and the French state will cream off a chunk for itself.

Good old Napoleon!

Not good if you have children from multiple relationships..... and a wife....

18 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

Just curious, but what's the attraction of retiring to central France? Its climate isn't that much different to a wet and cold UK - somewhere sunny and warm for most of the year I would find tempting perhaps.

Wide open spaces, much cheaper property and land prices

East riding, a few miles from the coast...

Sounds idilic GG, firm sand large skied deserted beaches with good tall sand dune systems ?

God how I wish I was living "back home", but the reasons for relocating were very valid at the time.

Please god, just enough of a lottery win, I would be a good voluntarily church warden etc..

Oh, and a jet pack to attend to the church clock hands, they were  stuck at 10:55 last time I was there....

We're 10 minutes away from some beautiful and so far mostly unspoilt North Essex coastline, ditto areas of lovely quiet countryside. Unfortunately, those whom we pay handsomely to oversee and,  as they regularly trumpet, "are committed to preserving our unique county heritage" seem to me to be doing exactly the opposite no matter their political colour or vacuous 'green' credentials. Same issues just over the border in Southern Suffolk.

On 21/01/2024 at 14:17, GrumpyGnome said:

Now happily living in a small village in the East Riding Of Yorkshire, a couple of miles from the coast 🙂

I live in the Yorkshire area myself,born and bread up north so to speak but my girlfriend lives down south in Portsmouth of all places lol and we regularly cross the country to see each other,there's definitely a north south divide 100 percent,down south it's just different and way more expensive. 

• Like 1

Fellas I have flown my helicopter with it having full potential in the wind,I was a idiot the other day I should have put it into intermediate difficulty mode on the controller so it can push harder and faster,had it high in the sky no problem and it banked and turned in the wind beautifully,handled so well even for a novice like me,these pics don't do it justice at all but it was fantastic,don't need indoors just set it to higher difficulty,I tried top settings but it was abit too much for me yet,but I had the best time 😏

VideoCapture_20240129-165655.jpg

VideoCapture_20240129-165704.jpg

VideoCapture_20240129-165743.jpg

• Like 5

Apologies if this product has already been mentioned (I did a search and have no affiliation). They are single use hand warmers, each about the size of two tea bags. Cost £1 GBP per pair and DO last for 10 hours. They activate upon removal from a sealed plastic sachet. I use them in the palm of my hands inside my fingerless gloves when flying. I also put on two pairs of socks then masking tape a warmer under my toes before putting my boots on. I can go all day without getting cold fingers or toes. It's been a revelation for me this Winter. Much more effective than zippo hand warmers (electric or lighter fluid fuelled) or those reusable ones you have to recharge in boiling water. They activate when in contact with the air (or maybe oxygen?), so give them a little shake to start with and wait 10 minutes before secreting in your boots otherwise the relatively airless space inside your boot will reduce their efficacy. Don't put in direct contact with sensitive skin under your toes because they could burn, hence 2 x socks. Don't use them to make tea 🤣

For keeping my Lipos warm I use one of these heated pet mats inside an insulated spare transmitter case. I fold the mat in half and place my charged lipos in between. An hour before I leave home I use the mains adapter to get it up to temperature. I've made up an additional adapter lead to; firstly connect to my car cigarette lighter outlet on route to the field, then I use an old lipo or two at the field to keep it topped up. Draws about 1.2 amps. Setting to 35 degrees is sufficient on the thermostatic control. Makes a massive difference to lipo performance compared to when cold.

Edited by Futura57

Experimented today with a good old fashioned hot water bottle, inside a cool bag, into which my lipos were then placed. That sat on the heated car seat for the 90+ minute drive to the field. The lipos seem to  like it, they were gently warm to the touch on taking them out of the bag and the hot water bottle was still warm, even when I got home eight hours later. I felt that the smaller lipos benefitted, but the more typical 4s1p 2600mahs it didn't seem to make any difference - one of those still ended up down on capacity.

27 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Experimented today with a good old fashioned hot water bottle, inside a cool bag, into which my lipos were then placed. That sat on the heated car seat for the 90+ minute drive to the field. The lipos seem to  like it, they were gently warm to the touch on taking them out of the bag and the hot water bottle was still warm, even when I got home eight hours later. I felt that the smaller lipos benefitted, but the more typical 4s1p 2600mahs it didn't seem to make any difference - one of those still ended up down on capacity.

90+ minute drive to the field! Now that's dedication.

13 minutes ago, Learner said:

Ok, just looks like a road especially with what looks like a sign.

Have fun.

That's a basketball cort not a sighn lol but yeah it's a impressive helicopter for what it is. 

8 minutes ago, GreyAce said:

That's a basketball cort not a sighn lol but yeah it's a impressive helicopter for what it is. 

Be careful, things like that and rugby/football posts tend to move while your not looking!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Learner said:

Be careful, things like that and rugby/football posts tend to move while your not looking!

Omg tell me about it mate I came uncomfortably close to it so after that I flew way above it as high as I dare go. 

Flew the helicopter this morning and crashed it bad,think it's a write off,gotta take the body off then a local place will look at it for me and tell me what I need,if it can't be saved I will have to just bin it,today sucks. 

• Sad 2

41 minutes ago, GreyAce said:

Flew the helicopter this morning and crashed it bad,think it's a write off,gotta take the body off then a local place will look at it for me and tell me what I need,if it can't be saved I will have to just bin it,today sucks. 

Sorry to here that but the nature of the hobby means it happens especially when your starting out.

Hopefully it can be repaired but spare parts (if you can get them!)

Sometimes cost more than the heli originally cost.

I got quite good at repairing mine (hk 450) after multiple crashes,

luckily parts availability was good and a reasonable price.

Unfortunately thats no longer the case.

2 hours ago, Learner said:

Sorry to here that but the nature of the hobby means it happens especially when your starting out.

Hopefully it can be repaired but spare parts (if you can get them!)

Sometimes cost more than the heli originally cost.

I got quite good at repairing mine (hk 450) after multiple crashes,

luckily parts availability was good and a reasonable price.

Unfortunately thats no longer the case.

To be honest I have had a good think about it and at the moment I am thinking of just scrapping it and not bothering because by the time I pay for parts and shipping it's gona head towards the cost of a brand new one and this one may never fly properly again anymore,may just put it in the bin and if I decide to fly again just buy a brand new one. 

• Like 1