Flair Stearman plans

Brandy

Thanks! its a Flair kit. I have instructions, a partially built fuselage and port lower wing a fully built horizontal stabiliser, elevator rudder and fin..

I'm estimating the kit is from 2002ish.20240113_160012.thumb.jpg.4792d81c149a7e52669a44485cdd31e6.jpg20240113_155955.thumb.jpg.18e639e65ced87833c6c263fc3b09fa2.jpg20240113_161634.thumb.jpg.398c4a17a074eae3ccbaa3f679e3f49a.jpg

Frankly you should try very hard to find the original plans as they alone would be worth money!    Have you got the remaining wing ribs?  With the plans an experienced builder could make a good model of those parts.

The review is actually by John Carpenter - it notes the dummy engine cylinders are part of the kit   - try hard to find these as they are essential to the look of the model.    Also all mouldings and strut parts.

I've got the lot apart from drawings. 

It's not really possible to build the rest without plans unless I had another completely built one next to me. I have plenty of experience and if needed I could design, manufacture and build a new one thats even better than the flair model.. but its not worth it. And it wouldn't be this particular bunch of wood.

I will keep looking for the plans this end but I hold not much hope as people do like to "clear up to help" ( throw importantish stuff out)

It's mildly infuriating.

Regards James.

I will probably save my pennies up and get a seven or nine cylinder radial. It would be rude not to. I may even change the undercarriage for the robart ziroli gear...  I may also do none of the above if I can't find plans.

If you have all 3 sheets of the plan then you are  all set.......

I suggest working from photocopies rather than on originals though.     And a thorough search for any other bits that might come from the kit - there is mention of a moulding for the tail in the review, maybe other insignicant looking bits lurking somewhere .......

Perhaps the intended engine is hidden somewhere  from prying eyes....

Good luck with the model.

Edited by kc

What I was hinting at is the Laser might be well hidden.   Some men like to buy such things, hide them away then produce them when needed and can tell 'She Who Must be Obeyed '     "....Oh that old thing I have had it for years! "

9 minutes ago, kc said:

What I was hinting at is the Laser might be well hidden.   Some men like to buy such things, hide them away then produce them when needed and can tell 'She Who Must be Obeyed '     "....Oh that old thing I have had it for years! "

I suppose my wife must be super tolerant.  I've never needed to do that.  She only mildly objects to the space my models occupy and tries to institute a one in - one out policy 🙂

32 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

I suppose my wife must be super tolerant.  I've never needed to do that.  She only mildly objects to the space my models occupy and tries to institute a one in - one out policy 🙂

Yes I'm the same, keep it tidy and it's all good. I earn my money so I'll spend it on what I want as long as bills and other nonsense is paid for.

I built one of the original kit versions when they were quite new back in 99/2000 so 24 years old now and still going strong, i have mine powered by a Zenoha 45 and i think Neil had a laser 180 in the prototype. I would say mine has adequate power rather than excessive. The only issue I had was when the model first flew it need excessive down elevator trim which i believe was a plan fault which was subsequently corrected. The model flies like a dream so enjoy.

1354457921_IMG_4059(2).thumb.jpg.4cfa839964aab2c40825ed97d7de6535.jpg

Photo courtesy of the late great AW

Linds

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It appears on further inspection I'm having to undo a lot of the work that's been carried out. I don't know if it's worth logging this unbuild build.. might be worth a laugh and education.

It might be worth discussing the ways to strengthen joints ( assuming poor glue joints might be the problem ) such as gussets from balsa or 1/64 ply etc or adding glue such as SuperPhatic etc.

You are a sucker for punishment. As a fellow self flagilator, I’m curious, but only if it doesn’t hurt too much. I have a 1/4 scale Svenson Stampe, picked up casually that has been eating time for years as I get enthusiasm to get it a little further. I also have a 1/4 scale Precident Stampe, ditto. That one is not quite as bad, it might fly come late spring.

A friend bought a partly built Flair Stearman in a similar state to yours. The fuselage was not straight, viewed from the side the longerons could be seen to be wavy along their length. He described it as looking ‘as though it had been built over someone’s knee.’

Perhaps these fuselages don’t like being stored for any length of time without any covering in place (which would stiffen things up).

In his case, he stripped the fuselage back down to the ply formers and they were all reusable. He then sold the ‘kit’ to another scale builder who has now completed it and will be entering it in this year’s BMFA comps.

Brian.

Multiple scarfs in a row that don't follow the minimum 4:1 raitio.

48" lengths required that will put any scarfs needed at either end of the fuselage at low stress points where the is additional ply formers and stringers 

20240125_165425.jpg