Questions re. configuring S8R receiver

Allan Bennett

I'm installing an S8R receiver in a new model.  Transmitter is Taranis X9D+ 2019.  All channels are configured as per the S8R manual (separate aileron and separate elevator servos), and all is working well in manual mode.

Elevator 1 is ch2 and elevator 2 is ch6, as per instructions, and Tx switches are assigned to channels 9, 10, and 12 for mode, gain, and self-check, and are the same as in another S8R model I set up many years ago.  I've gone through the configuration for stabilisation modes using FrSky FreeLink and STK, selecting 'Quick mode' (which is what I recall from last time), and roll stabilisation seems to be working well (after I reversed aileron mode in FreeLink) in Stabilised and Self-Levelling modes, but there is no apparent movement on the elevators when I pitch the model back and forth.  I vaguely recall last time checking one of the AUX1 or AUX2 boxes in the FreeLink 'Wing type' screen, but the instructions say that checking those will disable one or other of the Ail2 or Ele2 channels, so that can't be the problem.  Any ideas what I might have missed, please?

Also, I cannot get the receiver to self-check.  As I remember, ch12 needs to be activated 3 times quickly to initiate it, and it will be signified by a blue light on the receiver.  I get nothing when I do that.  Again, any suggestions please?

It took me a good while to get an S6R working and I found the youtube tutorials by RCVideoreviews and Painless360 invaluable. 

My suggestion is that you watch them. They're both good, however think RCVideoreviews helped me more, not knocking Lee (painless360) though.

I was using a Radiomaster TX16S on OpenTx however the Taranis on OpenTx is close enough.

Edited by Graham Bowers

1 hour ago, Allan Bennett said:

Thanks Graham.  I'll take a look at those videos and see if they give me any clues as to what I'm doing wrong.

As I recall, the various lua scripts have appeared in different places in the menu structure over time. My approach was to make notes from the videos and then follow those notes. I found the setup quite complicated as there are quite a few steps, however worth it in the end. 

There is a test / calibration function that's used in the setup and activated by a switch however if that's inadvertently switched in flight, it'll cause a crash. Attention is drawn to it in at least one of the videos. One I'd dome the test / calibration, I deactivated the switch.

I only use the wind compensation mode on a model I favour for windy days. Works a treat.

Good luck!

The self-check mode doesn't work if the throttle is greater than -100, and it needs three quick flicks of the switch to start it anyway, so activation in flight is not an issue in my view.  I have been known to use self-levelling mode for landing with my previous model, and I agree with you, it works a treat   But why can't I get it to work in the workshop this time 🤔

Right Allan, the 3 flicks in 3 seconds, is not rushed, nice and steady as switches bounce a 3 seconds is steady

One- and - Two- and Three.....steady

Or in the workshop

Use the button on the S8R to do the same thing,,  steady one and two and three

Use the button on the reciever

Edited by Denis Watkins

1 hour ago, Allan Bennett said:

The self-check mode doesn't work if the throttle is greater than -100, and it needs three quick flicks of the switch to start it anyway, so activation in flight is not an issue in my view.  I have been known to use self-levelling mode for landing with my previous model, and I agree with you, it works a treat   But why can't I get it to work in the workshop this time 🤔

Seems like you've more experience with these than me - I just took the cal in flight warning literally and didn't think too much about the precurser conditions.

Goodness knows what the problem is this time. When I was on the steepest bit of the learning curve, things seem to happen differently every time. That only happened because I wasn't fastidious in following the process. Which is why I wrote it out and used it as a checklist.

I haven't set one up for a while, and would be back to square one, I think.

One of my clubmates has 20 odd of these SxR receivers and has discovered they're out of production, so is scouring the planet for old stock!!

In case it helps below are the notes I made and have used since for myself. I've got a Taranis and a Horus. Some may not be relevant to your own choices.

I love the extra realism the gyro (in stabilisation mode) adds to scale models especially when it's a bit gusty. Looks like it might be quite hard to find these Rx now from new (I've seen the 'wanted' add on BMFA classifieds!), and I've not yet bitten the bullet to see if the new (Archer?) types are backward compatible.

1.      Transmitter Binding and Set-Up:

Bind in D16, at least 12 channels (?), 9 is gain, 10 and 11 are stab mode switches, 12 is self check. Also set a dedicated Rx number.

Channel Order: A(L) E T R A2(R) E2 (first four are fixed).

Ch 9 (Gain adjuster) set like this: Ch09 S1 Weight (+50%) NoTrim Offset (50%). Don’t use more than roughly 30% initially.

Ch 10 (gyro on/off): use a curve +100 (on) to 0 (off).

Ch 11 (mode): force to zero (assumes only stabilisation function required).

Ch 12 (self check): needs to be default at either -100% (Up ^) OR +100% (Down v) either will work.  

2.      New Receiver Initial 6 Axis Calibration – Needs a Flat Surface:

Use lua script on Tx. No cables needed. On Taranis it’s in Menu – long press – tab to SD card – S6R – S6R_Calibrate.lua

Execute and follow instructions

Needed once only

3.      Set Model Type and Mounting Position:

As above except use S6R.lua

Note that new SxR receivers will come with quick (simple) mode enabled which should be disabled. Scroll between pages 1 and 2 to confirm that any changes have taken effect.

Select the Aux2 box if you don’t want active stabilisation on that channel (e.g. tick Ele2, frees up that channel for use by another function).

4.      Mount Rx in Model:

Pins to rear, orientation as previously chosen.

Servos connected as indicated on Rx

5.      Set Normal Throws and Directions

Leave in Max Rates

6.      Chicken Dance and Attitude & Stick Calibrations:

Ch 12 on SwF is currently set-up only to be active at mid SwG, where throttle also active. So Prop off!

Then SwF needs to be flipped [equates to 0.0% (Mid) and then back to either +/- 100%] and repeated three times in three seconds before the Self Check Function will activate. You can also press the F/S, Bind Button on the receiver for a Self Check function.

The Self Check Function: This function is performed to firstly to calibrate the Radio Stick movement endpoints to the receiver (it saves these values) and also it saves the current angle of Attitude (hold it steady) so it knows where it should keep the planes Attitude at during Level Flight. This Attitude should be set at very slightly Nose Up to prevent the plane going into a dive when in Auto Level Mode as this could result in a high speed dive and crash.
The plane must be set at the correct attitude and not moved during this Self Check operation. Once Ch12 is activated, after a second or so the control surfaces will Twitch (Dance) then stop. Only after the dance (2 sec) has stopped do you start the Sticks calibration (use full rates!). The dance seems to need all servos connected.

Depending on the Plane Type set you need to move the Aileron, Elevator and Rudder to the extreme endpoints of the Sticks travel, only a couple of times. Close by increasing throttle stick to max then depower (there is conflicting guidance on which of these actions saves the settings!).

7.      Check Stabilising Directions

S6r.lua allows for changes of directions and setting of individual gains.

8.      Set Failsafe to Auto Level Mode (copy from PM or Avanti)

9.      Fly and Adjust Gains as Required.

Auto-Level:                    Stabilisation:                  Hover:                            Knife-Edge:                            Off:

Ch10 (100); Ch11 (100) Ch10 (100)Ch11 (0)    Ch10 (100); Ch11(-100) Ch10 (-100); Ch11 (0)            Ch10 (0)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I've got a brand new SR8 I've never really mastered and avoided using through timidity.  Despite my not being a technophobe, I've always been a bit averse to handing over control to some automatic device (I've never dared to use the cruise control on our car! Sad, I suppose).  I'll give it another go by following your excellent instructions.

Thanks Neil R for those details.  A couple of things there I need to check:  First I'll check that I've bound with at least 12 channels; secondly my model has no rudder so there's no rudder servo.  I've never used luas before, so I'll have a look at that.  Everything else in your list is as I remember doing it using FreeLink.

Geoff S, I don't consider it to be 'handing over' control completely, but I do proceed with caution, never activating it until I've test flown and trimmed the model in manual mode.

I used this video to help set up my S8R. 

Not flown it yet (circumstances) but does everything I expect on the bench.:-

Other stabiliser options = RadioLink 'Byme A' :-

And the FMS @Reflex' :-

Edited by John Wagg

Self Check can be enabled by gently depressing the Rx button when all other items have been completed. It goes 'Blue' then flashes, controls dance, all done. Caution: do ensure model is at a flying attitude when doing this or 'panic' mode may result in for example up elevator. Lovely radio system though (FrSky X20S for me) and Rx but FrSky keep 'improving' and 'updating' things. Beware of videos on line, even after just a few months ago, they can sometimes be out-of-date following an update with latest methods. Also, always check Rx and Tx software are kept updated to ensure compatibility with latest operation. Items bought from dealers may not have the latest updates if they've been in stock on a shelf awhile! 😉

Sorted!

Thanks to everyone who replied.  My problem/error was simply that I had bound the Rx as 8-channels.  Having re-bound it as 12 channels the elevators are now reacting to pitch movements, and self-check is working.  All that remains is to reverse the action of one of the elevator channels, and re-do the self-check with the model in a normal flying attitude.

In case it helps others . . . .

When I reported that everything was working, it was because I'd checked the surface movements in 'Self-levelling' mode:  I then found that in 'Stabilised' mode there was no movement of the surfaces when I moved the model around.  After watching Painless 360's video, as suggested by Graham, I realised that the knob I'd specified for gain control (Ch 9) when centred was giving no gain, therefore no corrective movements in Stabilised mode.  Painless 360 suggests adding a curve to that control, so that it outputs from 0 - 100% from one extreme to the other, rather than the normal -100 / 0 / +100.  Reading the S8R manual again I saw that they recommend a simpler method, giving the control a weight of 50 (instead of the default 100) and an offset of 50 (usually 0) to do the same job.  Having done that it's working well.

As an aside, having got everything working correctly I noticed something that I hadn't noticed before (or had forgotten about): Stabilised and Self-levelling modes work in different ways -- Self-levelling is not simply a more aggressive (more gain) version of Stabilised mode.  In Stabilised mode the surfaces move only momentarily in reaction to unwanted movements, and return quickly to whatever the pilot's input is; but in Self-levelling mode the surfaces move to correct the unwanted movement, and do not return to default until the model's attitude is correct -- i.e. the attidude it was in when Self-check was done.

Now having written it all down, I can return to this thread when I get stuck installing my next SxR receiver 😄

• Sad 1

On 22/01/2024 at 09:57, Neil R said:

I've not yet bitten the bullet to see if the new (Archer?) types are backward compatible.

Auto-Level:                    Stabilisation:                  Hover:                            Knife-Edge:                            Off:

Ch10 (100); Ch11 (100) Ch10 (100)Ch11 (0)    Ch10 (100); Ch11(-100) Ch10 (-100); Ch11 (0)            Ch10 (0)

Yes they are backward compatible, BUT the setup for a SR6 is subtly different, which is a right pain.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bennett said:

In case it helps others . . . .

As an aside, having got everything working correctly I noticed something that I hadn't noticed before (or had forgotten about): Stabilised and Self-levelling modes work in different ways -- Self-levelling is not simply a more aggressive (more gain) version of Stabilised mode.  In Stabilised mode the surfaces move only momentarily in reaction to unwanted movements, and return quickly to whatever the pilot's input is; but in Self-levelling mode the surfaces move to correct the unwanted movement, and do not return to default until the model's attitude is correct -- i.e. the attidude it was in when Self-check was done.

Now having written it all down, I can return to this thread when I get stuck installing my next SxR receiver 😄

Self levelling is very useful for checking the flight surfaces respond in the correct way when setting up the model. It also acts as AFU mode (all f@@@ed up mode). A quick flick over to self levelling and back is occasionally useful when you lose orientation of the model. You can also put this on a button, so that a quick press can get you out of trouble, but don't hold it down. I use one of the buttons on the back of my Tandem X20.

On 24/01/2024 at 18:02, Graham Bowers said:

Pleased there is a happy ending. I’d say that mastering the nuances of these receivers is at the complex end of the modelling science. Not helped by sketchy instuctions. 

Good for keeping the tired old brain cells exercised though. 😄

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Edgeflyer said:

I believe that if the receiver is updated to the latest firmware the self test mode is no longer activated on Ch 12 . It is enabled in the device config script from the X20

I though it was just me struggling to get it to work on switches. I came to the same conclusion, yet to test it in the air though.

Err, what update/version are we talking about?  I thought my S8R was using the latest V2 ACCST EU LBT firmware, and I've checked the FrSky web site and see that the latest version was in July 2021.  Self-check is on channel 12 switch, and I've programmed my Taranis so that it can't be activated while the motor arming switch is armed.