Late comer FW 190

Dear All,

I'm sorry but I'm a late comer to the party.  I received my kit in time for Christmas and I only get limited opportunities to build but I've managed to finish my Focke Wolf.

I also received an air gun for Christmas and have used Tamiya paints after giving up with water based acrylics.  There are no surprises in the build, it went together well, the same as the others.  This one has been glassed all over using Easy Composites 25gm per sq metre cloth and their resin.  I use a foam roller as this leaves a really smooth surface.

I've added weight here and there, a printed fan at the front, a printed pilot from Thingyverse, total weight is 4lb 12 oz (2150 grams)

I'm using a 4 cell 3000 lipo with one of Richards motors turning a 12 x 6 prop and hope to maiden it this coming Saturday .

I've added far more colour than is scale but it all helps to see it in the air.

I'm pleased with the build, I do have a Bf110 waiting patiently in a box too.

Bucks.

IMG_3260.jpeg

IMG_3262.jpeg

IMG_3257.jpeg

IMG_3255.jpeg

IMG_2994.jpeg

IMG_2841.jpeg

• Like 14

Thank you, the pictures accentuate the mottled appearance of the paint on the wings, they don't appear that bad in real life.  But to be fair, the airbrush is not really designed for such a large surface.  I've ordered a larger needle but was too impatient to wait.  I've not added any detailing on the underside yet.

I was interested to see if there was much weight gain over the brown paper covering, not too much it seems.  Mine is a bit heavier than most with some lead in the nose.  

3 hours ago, Bucksboy said:

Dear All,

I'm sorry but I'm a late comer to the party.  I received my kit in time for Christmas and I only get limited opportunities to build but I've managed to finish my Focke Wolf.

I also received an air gun for Christmas and have used Tamiya paints after giving up with water based acrylics.  There are no surprises in the build, it went together well, the same as the others.  This one has been glassed all over using Easy Composites 25gm per sq metre cloth and their resin.  I use a foam roller as this leaves a really smooth surface.

I've added weight here and there, a printed fan at the front, a printed pilot from Thingyverse, total weight is 4lb 12 oz (2150 grams)

I'm using a 4 cell 3000 lipo with one of Richards motors turning a 12 x 6 prop and hope to maiden it this coming Saturday .

I've added far more colour than is scale but it all helps to see it in the air.

I'm pleased with the build, I do have a Bf110 waiting patiently in a box too.

Bucks.

IMG_3260.jpeg

IMG_3262.jpeg

IMG_3257.jpeg

IMG_3255.jpeg

IMG_2994.jpeg

IMG_2841.jpeg

That looks absolutely brilliant! I’m loving the extra colour - I chose a “colourful” scheme for mine to help with orientation, but just winging it as you have done has produced something that not only stands out but looks (to me, anyway) believable. Congratulations!

She flew!  And flew well I might add, no flying shots as my photographer was acting as a ‘trim buddy’.  The weather was calm after the early frost and mist and all checks completed.  It required a decent heave for the hand launch and after some click of trim, she was flying hands free.  I only flew for 5 minutes, the battery showed 52% left, it’s a 4 cell 3300.  The spinner and prop vibrate a bit so some more work required.  Landing was a doddle, I landed her on the very wet and soft grass without any damage!

I'll build a dolly for launching it think.

IMG_3296.jpeg

IMG_3298.jpeg

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

I've made a dolly from scrap plywood and a pair of wheels on aluminium legs.  These were in the 'bits' box at the flying field, one mans scrap is another mans gold and all that.  The tail wheel can be bent to adjust the track and I'll spend a bit of time ensuring it runs straight, ish.

Field trials on Saturday I hope.

IMG_3569.jpeg

IMG_3568.jpeg

• Like 3

I Iike the colours and finish of your one BB . 

Your "Hello Dolly " (Barbara ) , looks the part . 

If the others are anything to go by , it should work a treat . 

Im amazed by the spinners being out of balance . 

Its an easy fix , but its unusual for spun alloy versions to need much . 

I wonder if its the fact that APC props have fairly small hubs that may make the front of the spinner wobble , accentuating any minor imbalance ?

Don't worry Bucksboy, wait until he sees mine as its the normally non photographed version of red 23...it would be easier to say what is right with it than what's wrong with it and in the spirit of stand in the next field scale I don't care!

When I am flying it and it is a very pleasant model to fly its that which counts!

• Like 1

Today, 30th was a bright and sunny day with blue skies and white fluffy clouds to perfect for the 190.  I tested the dolly on the runway to ensure it ran (fairly) straight on its own.  I needed minor tweaks to the tail wheel to achieve this.  Then onto the main event which was highly successful.  The plane left off the dolly which was retrieved at the end.  We're lucky enough to have an Astroturf runway so it's smooth and long.  I estimate that the plane was off the ground in  10-15m and that's without ramming the throttle to the max. 

Anyway, we managed some photos with a mobile as it was on the landing approach so the prop had virtually stopped and the phone has frozen the movement.  I was aiming for the grass as it's slightly softer than the AstroTurf.

Very pleased with it, a great plane.

20240330_134830.jpg

20240330_134831.jpg

• Like 5

Excellent job ! 

Even the upside down squadron badge doesn't seem to have dampened its enthusiasm for flight . 

The second shot is particularly good . How many flying does that make ?

Got to be eight by now . 

Lipo man , BB above , Ron , Richard, Eric, Dave B .... who am I forgetting ?

26 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Excellent job ! 

Even the upside down squadron badge doesn't seem to have dampened its enthusiasm for flight . 

The second shot is particularly good . How many flying does that make ?

Got to be eight by now . 

Lipo man , BB above , Ron , Richard, Eric, Dave B .... who am I forgetting ?

The upside down insignia is correct if he’s flying inverted. Seems close enough to me? 👍

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bucksboy said:

It spent the whole flight beating up the strip, a climbing turn and then return, the code looked great, even upside down! 🙃 

Was flying mine this afternoon in exactly the same way. Loads of fun!

Thats the thing isnt it ? As much as I like the idea of a totally scale, flying model, with all the whistles and bells , you can have more fun and less pressure with a stand off scale , easy to fly hack . Horses for courses , as they say . 

If you ignore retracts , you could knock out some wicked looking twins , that flew on the same battery and land on their nacelles . Maybe even a big bomber or jet. 

Just a thought.

• Like 2