Warbirds Replicas Hawker Tempest V -Mass Build 2024(part two) .

TBH we enjoy cutting the grass and there is a team, the Cutting Crew, of volunteers so I can rotate the duties. We also have ‘heavy machinery’ to do the job, who doesn’t like driving a tractor 🚜? 😎😎

14 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Our grass is looking rather good, your maintenance team are slipping!

In defence of our maintenance team (Richard and I are in the same club), the patch gets waterlogged and we have had a very wet winter/spring.

☹️

Yes it’s been very wet this year, according to my weather station we’ve had 3 times the amount of rain this year than in any of the past 5 years (or more), so I do sympathise. Fortunately our patch is on a gravel bed so the green stuff drains very well but we do get puddles on the tarmac runway 🥴

If we get anymore rain we will have to put floats on the mower. The strip is at the top of a rise and is well drained but the car park and shed is at the bottom and with the farmer driving the tractor through it's like the Somme 

• Haha 1

The Eagle has landed !!

More importantly , before the eagle landed , there was a flight . (two in  fact ) 

I can report that the Tempest is equal in benevolent nature to our beloved Fw190 . I had about an 8mph steady breeze and the Tempest appeared to almost stand still.

The stall is very gentle and you have to really push it . Before is goes , she wanders around giving loads of warning . 

Performance range is huge with loads of power and some very nice handling characteristics  . Down wind rolls looked superb . 

The total weight was 4lb 4oz , but I added a ballast of 8oz on the C of G for the second flight to simulate the weight of retracts . 

I also had 2oz in the front of the battery box just to bias the balance forward . Some up trim was required , so we can almost definitely remove that . 

In the breeze the extra weight of the second flight was not really noticeable . She has a bit more wing area than the Fw190 , but I think either model can tolerate more weight quite happily . 

The patch was still very soggy and there was no element of "slide " on contact . The sharp stop on the second flight broke the front former out due to lack of support , battery box digging in (flew without cowl ) and the prop being very stiff . 

I will increase the F1 support and report back to you . Easy fix though , so really pleased with the model . 

IMG_6806.jpg

IMG_6800.jpg

IMG_6805.jpg

• Like 7

Quite so . Can't wait to see what the chaps do with theirs . (when they get them ) .

Im going to block in the space between F1 and F2 to better anchor the motor weight . 

I don think the prop had much to do with F1 coming loose as only about 1" of the tip is longer than the chin . 

But I do think not having the cowl on played a part . The nose was up about ten degrees on landing but the second the battery box dug in it stopped dead . 

Anyway , like I say , easy fix . I'm going to finish the odd bits then crack on with the paint job .

• Like 2

BTW , I had to put 6mm of packing in behind the motor mount to make the back of the spinner not rub on the cowl . 

Now , I cursed at the time but now I realise that its a good thing because without paint the model just balances . Move the motor back and it doesnt . 

The other thing is that unless I allow a bit more room ( as I have ) in the motor bay , other motor /prop / spinner combinations can not be accommodated . 

I will probably add two 3mm thick ply spacers to the kit in case , like me the set up requires it . 

• Like 2

Getting back to the tidying up . Obviously I can't have my motor trying to escape , but it is pretty obvious from my previous picture on this page that the motor was only sufficiently supported for a quick test flight , not a series of belly flops . 

As in the Spitfire kit, I have added a hardwood top rail with a screw in each end and then filled in the space between F1 and F2 with 6mm balsa and gorilla glue . 

I can happily pick up the whole plane by the motor now and give it a shake without any creaks or cracks . 

Remember that when the model stops abruptly , the motor wants to shoot out the front , so the force we are dealing with is tension . 

Keeping that in mind , you can see why the balsa has its grain running "for and aft " and the top dowel with screws makes sure it all stays connected . 

The balsa fill-in doesn't need to look good as the cowl will cover it all anyway . 

Should be tough as old boots now . 

IMG_6808.jpg

IMG_6812.jpg

IMG_6813.jpg

• Like 1

I've been down to B and Q armed with the three view shown below on the right . Ignore the other one (its just following me around ) . So I'm going to do the famous "RB " AeroScale :: Eduard 1:48 Hawker Tempest Mk.V Series 1 Review

They do their own match pots called Good home or some other silly name , but Ive picked three out for the ball park colours . I already have some white and black left from the Focke Wulf build . These match pots only cost about £2.50 each so for roughly £8 I could be sorted . 

With invasion stripes , I will normally spray them with an aerosol as it goes on dry and doesn't creep underneath the masking tape .

However , in this case I am going to follow the cheap and cheerful method employed on the Fw190 and paint the whole plane with a brush (I hope I don't regret this . If I do , its your fault 😬).

Just finishing off the covering , which has gone well . I don't muck about too much with the wood finish as the brown paper and then the camo paint hides all sins . 

I'm going to seal the brown paper with dope before I paint it so that the brown paper doesnt soak up too much paint . 

The dope dries fast and then mostly evaporates unlike water based emulsion . 

You can also see a lovely 1;32 static model of the same aircraft . My aim is to get a similar look with just £8 worth of paint and a yard broom .....

Should be a doddle .😕

IMG_6811.jpg

IMG_6810.jpg

Tempest RB1.jpg

• Like 1

As I’ve already got the FW190 I’m sitting this one out on the advice of the house finance committee. However, I happened to find myself in North London this afternoon with some time to kill, so for all you eager Tempest builders I thought I’d share these for inspiration!

IMG_5244.jpeg

IMG_5242.jpeg

IMG_5236.jpeg

IMG_5247.jpeg

IMG_5249.jpeg

IMG_5248.jpeg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Sorry I'm nit picking, the top 3 pics are of a Typhoon. 

Crikey - what’s the yellow one. I didn’t read the labels (😳) and it looked very Typhoon-ish to me. As you will gather, this is not my area of expertise!

😆

As with the Fw190 , I will probably send a return envelope out to those that showed interest in the Tempest . I realise that some may have changed their mind , and anyway we are not quite ready to press go on the production line , but I need to know rough numbers . 

I dont want to send letters to those no longer interested so here is a list of those that expressed interest so far . 

Rather than PM me at this stage , perhaps if you just click like if you still want one , it will come up at the bottom . 

Dave B1

Ron Gray 

Martin Collins 

Leccy Flyer 

Andrew Exton 

Jonathan S 

Grumpy Gnome 

Glen Philbrick 

Peter Atkins

Ace 

Chris Walby 

John Timmis

Graham Bowers

Murat 

Alan Hilton

Roger Bird

Dave Naylor 

Goose is the Hero 

Nigel Whitgar

Piers Bowlan 

Nick Cribbs

David Holland 2 

David Davies

Don Fry 

Bucks Boy 

Chris meek 

Concept 2

Flyer 

Rotten Row 

Chris Clementson

John Britton . 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lipo Man said:

Crikey - what’s the yellow one. I didn’t read the labels (😳) and it looked very Typhoon-ish to me. As you will gather, this is not my area of expertise!

😆

The yellow one is a Tempest, the colours are that of a target tug, not a glorious finale for such a great aeroplane. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

The yellow one is a Tempest, the colours are that of a target tug, not a glorious finale for such a great aeroplane. 

Very true. However, very visible for orientation! Every cloud!