Greeting one and all!

Hi there, just joined as I am navigating my way into RC planes.

Currently looking at the FMS 1300M PA-18 super cub as my first trainer... hopefully something that will take me to intermediate level

Cheers

Chris

10 hours ago, Allan Bennett said:

Welcome to the hobby/sport.  Hopefully you've been able to find a club so that experienced members can help you out and give tuition.

In the process of joining a club, definitely want to learn and get guidance from other members..

3 hours ago, PapaC said:

In the process of joining a club, definitely want to learn and get guidance from other members..

Best decision you can make.

Before you do join a club, visit others in the area to get the best fit for you as not all clubs are the same.

Speak to folks on site and see what the instructors are like and their availability.

Here is a link to a thread on the larger 1700mm wingspan version of model you are looking at.

https://forums.modelflying.co.uk/index.php?/topic/54155-fms-pa-18-1700mm-super-cub/page/3/#comments

Again, before you buy, speak to your instructor at the club and get his thoughts on the machine you are looking at.

I can't vouch for the Super Cub but I can for the Ranger. New member started in July and has now gone solo and passed our club proficiency in February. No crashes or dramas although it does like to nose over on our grass patch.

Best of luck.

Edited by Andy Gates
clarity

I can happily recommend the 1700mm version of the same model you are considering although I am a mere novice myself. Easy to build and after comparing it against some other models I've tried, find it the best I have tried so far.

I may be wrong but the 1300mm version may be a bit on the light side when in any kind of wind. The larger model and its ability to take the larger heavier battery might no restrict flying time due to weather ( wind ) as much.

I'll let others come back on the physics element of the weight ratio.

More importantly ..... Great decision to join a club but as said ...... shop about if you can.

Welcome aboard and enjoy

Toto

• Like 1