Fun fly typical design

36 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

From memory, I sold mine 30 years ago, but I remember the design was a machine without ailerons. A rolling circle would be difficult I think. The beginner is DocPrinter, who started the post. 

quite easy to do a rolling circle with a junior 60, rolls beautifully and is quite responsive.

Advert

2 hours ago, Jason Channing said:

quite easy to do a rolling circle with a junior 60, rolls beautifully and is quite responsive.

How do you do a rolling circle with a plane without ailerons

I wasn't being sarky, dismissive, or disbelieving, I genuinely would like to see it........I've seen J60s take off and fly around at speeds the original designer probably thought impossible, and do loops that made me think an unplanned disassembly was imminent, but not consecutive rolls...... I've also seen them take off and fly at speeds slower than I can run, and just waft about, like BBQ smoke....

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Don Fry said:

How do you do a rolling circle with a plane without ailerons

Rudder and elevator, secondary effect of controls, The rudders' primary effect is yaw and secondary is roll and with the correct dihedral it produces a lovely smooth roll.

I can also quite easily fly a B test with a junior 60 as its quite an axial roll, Its not actually that difficult just timing and power as well. Demonstrated quite often at Ramsey MAC. I'll even try and get some video next time we go out.

thumbnail_IMG_20231002_114407_resized_20240502_072945013.jpg

Edited by Jason Channing
photo added
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

The outside loop sounds challenging with all that dihedral.

It doesn't like being inverted and you need to fly it all the way around, once at the bottom an Os 52 gets it to the other side quite easily, Inverted circuits can be done but it wobbles constantly trying to right itself. 

On 02/05/2024 at 07:20, Jason Channing said:

Rudder and elevator, secondary effect of controls, The rudders' primary effect is yaw and secondary is roll and with the correct dihedral it produces a lovely smooth roll.

Agreed.

I only had one of the gutless HP25 four strokes in mine, outside loops were off the menu, but rolls are easy, loops are easy, and I used to fly it inverted a fair amount. That said, it's "a bit" twitchy when upside down. Rolling circle is messy, but end of day, with something like this, you're "just" dabbing in course corrections with the elevator, while rolling.

"Trainers" can be a lot of fun. I keep one in the hangar now as a go-to if I haven't flown for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel R said:

Agreed.

I only had one of the gutless HP25 four strokes in mine, outside loops were off the menu, but rolls are easy, loops are easy, and I used to fly it inverted a fair amount. That said, it's "a bit" twitchy when upside down. Rolling circle is messy, but end of day, with something like this, you're "just" dabbing in course corrections with the elevator, while rolling.

"Trainers" can be a lot of fun. I keep one in the hangar now as a go-to if I haven't flown for a while.

But once you've achieved a full inverted circuit with out it rolling out you feel quite accomplished, Bit like flying a plane on the edge of a tip stall except its not. The OS is a nice match for the plane regarding power, nice smooth slow wing overs relying on power for the climb rather than speed.  

Not many now will have heard of Howard Boys, his designs regular featured in  the Aeromodeller. He was quite elderly when the A test was introduced and amazed everyone by passing it on a single channel high wing model.

There was a modeller in the first club I joined who could do more with rudder and elevator including rolling circles than most could do with full house as it was referred to back then.

3 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Not many now will have heard of Howard Boys, his designs regular featured in  the Aeromodeller. He was quite elderly when the A test was introduced and amazed everyone by passing it on a single channel high wing model.

There was a modeller in the first club I joined who could do more with rudder and elevator including rolling circles than most could do with full house as it was referred to back then.

I remember Howard Boys. Two channel Tomboys is nearly as much fun as Jet flying.