Posted (edited)

Windows 10 will soon be unsupported.   My old computers spec seems enough on paper to run Windows 11 but Microsoft says it's not OK.......

Any ideas why not?

Its a Dell Optiplex 745 with Intel 6400 2 core 2.13 Ghz, 4Gb Ram and 250 Gb SATA  so what is lacking?

My guess is that this old computer which was updated to Win 7 or 8  by a Microsoft licensed reseller and then to Win 10  so now MS don't want it upgrade further!

I am unwilling to chuck out a perfectly working Windows 10 computer ..........

Edited by kc

Advert

IIRC, if you go to the Update area on Windows, there is a some stuff on the right hand side of the screen about  W11 and whether or not you can update, and why you can't if that's the case.

If you actually try and upgrade to W11, and you can't, I THINK it tells you why....... 

Failing all that, the internet has many apps you can download to see why you can't update..... or it did a while ago when I did ours.

I too gave a W10 machine that can't be updated, but I'll carry on using it.

Why bother, I've got one desktop computer running Windows Vista, one running Windows 7 and a laptop running Windows 10. The only reason I can think of is support for peripherals such as printers and scanners.

You would hope that by now, any significant security issues have been addressed meaning security updates are not essential.....

In the future, of course, the number of commercial programmes able to run on W10 will decrease.

To be honest I found Windows 10 to be nothing but a pain in a donkeys rear end..... so i scrapped it and went back to windows 7 on my pc & laptop and both are still working perfectly

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've just bought a new PC with W11 Pro ready installed and all my W10 software still works though it took a while to get everything installed from my old PC. Even my very old Microsoft Office 97 Pro works.  To make it more user friendly I use the Classic Start s/w because I prefer words to pictures.  It was easy to transfer all my data because I had a SATA 250 MB SSD (stuck in with double-sided tape) in my old PC which I used as a data back-up and stuck it (literally) into my new one even though it has a terrabyte SSD.  Fortunately, the new PC has a DVD drive and that made loading a lot of my s/w easier.

I prefer the OS to be transparent and I really don't notice too much difference.  All I'm interested in is net access (Firefox) emails (Thunderbird) and I managed to transfer all my bookmarks and passwords across without too much fuss.  If you're just updating an existing machine you won't have the hassle I had.

Edited by Geoff S
spelling!

The most likely cause of the Windows 11 refusal to load on non-compliant hardware are secure boot and TPM, both of which are quite easy to workaround. Google has plenty of articles on how to do it if you really must upgrade to Windows 11.

The reason Microsoft included these requirements was to increase the level of system security so the result of by-passing them will inevitably lead to reduced security.... horses for courses!

Thanks for the replies - as always this forum has people with knowledge on many things as well as RC models.   Very helpful.

It seems that PDB hit the nail on the head - my computer lacks TPM -Trusted Platform Module - That link to Microsoft showed how to check and well it isnt there.

In a way i am happy to use old technology that still works, however the worry is that if any bank or credit card problem arises then the bank might not refund me and say it's my fault because i use software that is not updated!    It's the old  ' Nobody Ever Got Fired for Buying IBM '  thing - one tends to play safe and the computer companies rely on this to make sales.    ( youngsters ask your grandad what IBM was if you don't know!)

I might decide to switch to Linux in due course or I might buy another refurbished Windows 11 desktop from Stone Refurb.   This current one came from Stone and was very cheap quite a few years ago and I recommend them to others.  Look for Seniors or Student discounts and check the upgrades to large disc or SSD, DVD writer or whatever you need.  Stock and prices seem to vary from day to day and a phone call to agree what items i needed adding had the package arrive next day.   Easy!

• Like 1