Awesome weather - how much flying are you getting in?

Advert

Flew my Tucano and Extra on Friday no one else turned up as it was 15mph wind and cold, nothing to us slope soarers but enough to keep the fair weather flyers away. For the first time ever I noticed my TX counts down the minutes on the timer, never noticed the quiet beeps before because there is normally some noisy IC running My little Gemini got blown out of the pits and ended up in a ditch full of water so she got grounded as I didn't want to risk the wet electrics.

Saturday flew Tucano, Extra and Gemini (dried out) watched a few of the IC guys crash and write off there planes due to engine failure and one guy reducing the power to apply flaps then forgetting to put the power on. I advised him it would be safer to mix in elevator compensation rather than reducing power but hey what would I know Think I convinced a couple of guys to convert to electric as they have so many problems with glow, I gave them an olive branch and suggested they convert to petrol but they want electric EDF's and who could argue with that!

Sunday I flew Electric Blizzard down the field (25 mph winds), again too windy for the fair weather crowd, then went up Farleton Knott and flew my M60 and Zaggi for a couple of hours. The Zaggi struggled to penetrate, but it was amusing enough doing aerobatics on the slope edge. The M60 fully ballasted ripped up and down the slope like a jet, massive energy retention and could penetrate nearly out of sight from the slope before turning down wind an rocketing back in a flash, happy days!

Tom

Good day here, sunshine all the way, the wind has dropped considerably, just about T-shirt weather and I thoroughly enjoyed myself with the E-Flite Sea Fury, VMAR Fournier RF-4 (with the re-built starboard wing!) and the E-Flite Beaver. Bring on summer!!!......

Pete

Having a nice break from work over Easter and managed to get in some flying with my E-Flite Sea Fury in the field behind my house. End of day produced calm air on one day only and a fight on the other day!  Still, at least I'm keeping my hand/eye coord alive for when I get down to the patch and give the IC brigade an outing.

• 2 weeks later...
Beautiful weather here but there are just some days when you realise too late you shouldn't have taken anything out!

Couple of flights with the Super Grone and Cub. Second landing with the Grone slid it neatly into the base of the windsock - 1" dent in leading edge near the root  

Got the Beaver out as the weather was so nice, finger trouble on take-off caused it to turn right and, still ground-borne - you've guessed it -  I drove it straight into the base of the windsock - leading edge stuffed  

Somehow, I knew this would happen but not twice on the same day..........it'll give me something to do, I suppose

Pete

ps in case anyone wants to state the obvious, I know!!! 

Weather in the North  East still like winter ,yesterday sleet,today North Easterly about 10 degrees.Hilltop Posse down to one ( me ) untill the night shift arrived ( wor Keith )  at about 4 o,clock,left Keith to enjoy flying in  the evening sun ( some chance!!). Ice pick required.

Nothing happening at work so down to the field from 3pm to 7.30 pm.Several flights of the Harmon rocket,followed by 3 flights of my super Scorpion.Went to maiden my GWS Texan,but when checking it over found a fault with the rudder,coulnt fix it at the field so aired on the side of caution and fixed it this evening.2 flights with my low wing vintage acqusition from E bay which was enthralling to fly in almost no wind at all.1st time ive taken off and  landed it so that was great.