Futaba

Brian Hammond

Brian

I have written many a tirade recently, on this subject.

Futaba/Ripmax cannot see the writting on the wall. I to regret buying Futaba.

I am seriously looking at the options of just going Spectrum and cutting my losses.

What really surprises me that Japan, is seeing stagnation and high unemployment, because the world market will not pay over the odds for any of its products. Ripmax seem unwilling or unable to get or sell at USA prices for Futaba equipment, in the UK.

Recently an estimate has been made of the cost of producing a Futaba receiver (of course I do not know if the estimate is valid). It suggested that the component cost and assembly cost would be in the region of $5-10. So where does the £70 come from, even after development cost, management cost, profit for Futaba. What the importer/wholesaler receive is yet another matter.

No, Spektrum seems the way of the future.

Erfolg

I bought a corona 2.4 module for my ff9. module and rec for £43
They do have some issues but work for 6 out of 8 channels and are a fraction of the cost of futaba bits..you can buy 3 of their rec's for the cost of one futaba units

In use they are excellent.. easy to setup and they fly as far as I can manage to see

Hi all, i have to agree, the prices of Futaba are ridiculous. I have always been a Futaba person ever since i got rid of my ( going back a long time ) McGregor JR set and bought a Futaba Challenger, always had Futaba.
I have two futaba 2.4 complete sets and now i am thinking i will sell both and go the Spekky route.
Seems a shame that customer loyalty is rewarded by prices that are near impossible for the average man in todays economic climate.

Regards as always
Chris.

Yes, they are expensive, but they also seem bomb proof.  The cheaper rx systems seem to suffer from enough problems that even their fans acknowledge they are compromising a degree of quality for price.  I do know Spectrum users that have suffered from issues.  I don't know anyone that has had a problem with Futaba  (recall issues aside, obviously).  This is only my personal experience, but my system has been superb.

If you buy lots of models then maybe the price of receivers becomes relevant.  For me, as a builder, the savings aren't worth it compared to expensive kits and especially time.  I am happy to try save money in my builds, but cheap receivers have never been seriously considered. 

Maybe the correct way to look at it is you are paying more, but are getting the best system.

Edited By andy watson on 05/06/2009 19:05:52

Richard

I have asked the same question myself. Unfortunatly the answer is that you need a Corona Tx module, for the Rx to recognise the signal.

It really is a pity that Ripmax cannot see that they need to get the Futaba prices in line, roughly, or at least the same ball park, as all the competitors, which are at present growing in number. History is littered with companies, who stopped competing, business is a race, that can only be lost, it is never won.

Erfolg

Can of worms, more like a can of snakes
What could be easier than programming the DX6i or DX7. I will grant you the DX6i manual to a computer dodo like myself is not the best , but come on Grayham if Futaba is considered by you to be easier than Spektrum you leave me absolutly amazed
Garry

Well, I've been a committed Futaba man for a long time but after waiting for a while to let the issues settle down and get some more use out of my FF9 I'm afraid Futaba have lost my custom, especially after the recent price hikes, and I've invested in some Jeti Duplex gear, which I plan to add to on a regular basis.

Question is, how much of the recent increases are due to the Yen and how much to Ripmax?

I've always found Ripmax to be a good company to deal with and have spoken up for them on several occasions in forums etc. including this one but I was shocked to see the difference in their prices for Jeti gear and the prices for the same equipment from Puffin Models. I believe Puffin are the main importers but I would have thought Ripmax had the buying power to get at least close to their prices.

I have quite a few models so the result is a lost sale of an FF10 and multiple receivers over the next year or so and little chance of me buying any receivers or telemetry modules from Ripmax via my local model shop (which I would much prefer to do if they could even get vaguely near Puffin's prices).  I wonder how many other people will take similar actions if the prices stay at the current levels?

Edited By Martin Harris on 06/06/2009 21:05:57

Is any anyone a assan module? I am us$90 for a modiule and 2 rx, 1 is 6ch and other 7ch and no problems at all, i have mounted the rx on esc, left wires dangling, flew as far the eye can see etc etc, and rx's are $25 a piece. I have the module in optic 6, ok its a cheapo radio but proves there are less inexpensive ways of 2.4, same techonogly just the name you pay for IMO... "shoots self in foot"

Even if you are prepared to pay  £59.99 for a 606rx try to find one. Although I think my 6EX 2.4 is excellent, I managed to grab a DX6i combo at £99. As I said i'm very pleased with both but the futaba rx is overpriced. Programming either seems straight foward to me.

To be honest, I wouldn't be happy flying anything bigger than a park flier or shock flier on one of these cheap and cheerful jobbies.  I'm sure there will be many responses about how the Okikoki 2000 £9.99 combo outperforms a top of the range Futaba radio and was designed by the sister in law of the Technical Director of JR's next door neighbour, but I'm sure that to a certain extent you get what you pay for in terms of circuit design, component quality, assembly and quality control and as you have to take the reliability of ANY receiver you buy on trust, I feel it is a false economy to save 40 or 50 Pounds on a receiver and potentially endanger your model - and much worse - other people, as a result.

In fact, given the choice of a cheap combo or sticking a decent 35 MHz receiver in the model, I'd go with the latter any day of the week.

My personal choice is for the excellent reputation of Jeti, coupled with their reasonable prices and useful additional facilities over the silly prices for admittedly excellent Futaba gear.  If the prices were equal it might well have given me a difficult decision.

Edited By Martin Harris on 06/06/2009 22:14:59

But then what if the model isn't worth £60. Futaba you have just more then doubled the value of my model. And, the r606, I'me trying to avoid it - if I ever by the 2.4 ff7, then the 606 won't work, and I would have to requipe. I reckon you want the (£80 !!!) 617.

Birdy - This is exactly the reason I have avoided 2.4GHz gear so far.  Far too many different "standards" and far too expensive.  New technology always costs far more than it is worth for the first few years. And with so many giving up 35MHz, there are far more frequencies avalable for use and less chance of interference.  I fly solely glow powered and glitches have never been a problem for me, so buying 2.4 would just be an excersise in having the latest - keeping up with the Jones's - not something I'm into.  35MHz has been is use for years and it seems to me that the "problems" seems to have arisen along with the rise in popularity of electric flight.   If I flew electric, I would certainly consider 2.4GHz as electric systems seem far more prone to inteference than glow powered.

Having recently rejoined the hobby after many years I bought Futaba to fit in with the club instructor's buddy system but I have to say I am shocked at Rx prices.  As a pensioner this may severely limit bfutire purchasses and once solo may result in cutting loses bu flogging the Futaba gear.
Ripoffmax note and learn, before you loose many more customers.

From what has been written,2.4 is not new technology. A lot more is available from this old technology, with the more inovative manufacturers setting out to to give us those additional functions and features. On this basis Futaba is just to expensive.

I do suspect that, there is potential for a new order, becoming established as 2.4 becomes the norm. I suspect in the UK market, Futaba could become also rans, and join my Waltron set, on the top shelf.

I still use 35, but I do expect it to go the same way as 27. For a variety of reasons.

If the Futaba pricing policy is the same in the USA, they could become the equivalent of Arrows, Treyll and Maserati, we just about recognise the name, for what, we are not sure. In Europe (proper), I suspect the German companies such as Graupner, Jarama, Multiplex, will continue to badge engineer, to JR and Jeti etc, if their products are the right price and quality. Futaba becoming a distant memory, for Europe also.

Although Ripmax may blame the pound. Suprisingly the pound has recovered a lot from its low. In addition the pound did badly against the US Dollar, yet Spectrum maintained a massive price advantage against Futaba. It is worth noting that Japenese exports have fallen sharply according to thier publshed results.  Many Japanese manufactures are moving their production of shore, to more favourable locations. JR and Sanwa do not appear to have the same pricing issues as Futaba.

So why only Futaba?

Erfolg

i like the idea of going completely 2.4 but as a futaba man it will be a slow change over,i am currently saving the pennies to buy the jeti duplex as martin has done.
the prices are fair and if you buy the 8 channel reciever it compares favourably with spectrum,also read in the bumpf that you can couple recievers together to get more working channels.

Well, you asked me to go off topic and it's your forum so I hope the mods will allow this slight digression!

The Jeti has performed faultlessly so far and one of my clubmates has also invested in the system and is having similar positive experience.

My only niggles so far are:

(1) The signal strength display tells you you've reached 0/9 relatively close in but taking the model a lot further and higher hasn't produced any audible alarm, failsafe condition or loss of control so I'm putting this down to a linear scale measuring a logarithmic (or similar) signal propagation. Without the Jeti Box it wouldn't even be a concern!  My clubmate's equipment gives very similar results.

(2) The fail safe is not particularly intuitive and isn't set to close the throttle as default.

Kiwi's explanation is quite easy to follow (if seemingly a little muddled when referring to a channel bandwidth of 1000 Hz!)   A very simple way of visualising the principle of "depth" is having a conversation in a crowded room.  People can still follow each other amongst multiple conversations but as the noise level increases, sometimes you'll miss bits and have to ask the other party to repeat themselves. You hear everything around you as a buzz but lock into the one conversation.

Edited By Martin Harris on 08/06/2009 11:07:37