novice plan building

Advert

my advice would be, that whichever plan you look at get one that has all the components drawn on, some just have first and last wing rib and its up to the bulider to use his/hers own prefered method to reproduce the rest, not too much of a problem but one that can be avoided for a first build to make life easier..

Christopher

The 30" tucano published as a free plan in RCM&E in 2002 (?) would be a really good plane to build from plan.

Very low part count, (I think the wings are 12 bits!), clear plan, and as I recall only the fuselage sides are longer than one A4 sheet - which is useful because....

Top tip - photocopy the plan, making sure you get a clear shot of all formers etc. Cut out the paper outlines of all the bits, then tape each paper outline onto the wood you're using and cut round them. Easy peasy.

NB - Photocopiers do funny things at the edges of copied areas.

AlistairT
PS - If this tucano is a bit small for you, make the larger one (45"). All the Vac-formed parts are still available from Vortex Vacforms, as are the decals from Pyramid models.

AlistairT

It depends what level you think you're at. If you're a 3D flyer it would be pointless building a trainer. Have a look at the plans website on the homepage of this very website or order a copy of "plans and construction guide" from traplet. It includes details on loads of plans to buy and there are symbols to tell you how hard they are to build.
Jonathan L

Christopher
When you say "Easy" don't you really mean Understandable & accurate ? Where you follow the"destructions" still make a mistake & learn how to correct the draughtsmans errors .Have been modelling all my life & the Only accurate plans I've used were by Duncan Heston .THE master of scale. Being "hard to build" means it's a challenge to me .Not something to build Too easy & just not bother about getting satisfaction out of the build with several mistakes in it that you've not bothered to get to the height of perfection .Sorry /End of Sermon ! Go for it !!!You won't regret it !

• 13 years later...
Posted by Christopher Kilpatrick on 18/06/2007 23:22:00:
hi,
i am new to this fourm but i have now been model flying for 6 years and have built many artf kits. I would now be interested to build a model from a plan. Could anybody please tell me a good and easy aircraft to build as it is my first time building off a plan.

Many Thanks,

Christopher KIlpatrick

Hi Christopher.

What is your budget and how involved do you wish to get with the build? What I mean is are you thinking of cutting all your own parts from sheet balsa or planning on buying some or all of them ready cut to assemble over a plan? Sarik offer plans and a kit of parts or they can supply you just certain components such as wing ribs.

There are still kits out there which supply everything, all cut and shaped ready to be assembled over the plan, these range from jigsaw type construction where the parts are relatively self jigging and usually made from ply to the box of sheet balsa and strip where you have to do it all yourself, you have assembled some ARTF before so at least you have a inkling about construction. Don't be too ambitious on a first build is my advice because you'll end up with a part built model that will be discarded and possibly put you off. Once you've built the first one you'll have an idea of which level of difficulty you can tackle for the next one.

You are going to be undated with options from a foamy to ARTF to full kit build

Foamy will get you into flying quickly and not take long to get flying them is hazardous as accidents will destroy them This will be electric

ARTF slightly longer build time can be electric or ic a little more robust and can be repaired

Full kit will take longer more complex more intricate and covering is not the simple and the choice is unlimited

Usually people reccomend a high wing trainer as first attempt more easier to fly and land

All the best

Hopefully, Christoper is an experienced builder by now -he posted that question over 13 years ago!

Marco's advice is quite relevant to John though,

John, without trying to rain on your parade, learning to fly a model is quite a daunting task - but by no means an impossible one - which gets more difficult as the years go by. It will probably involve you in quite a lot of time and practice and the odd repair along the way, so that model wants to be simple and functional. The ARTF trainer route might be the best way to progress on the flying side but if you want to build a trainer, the Sky 40 isn't a bad way to go. The link is to a kit but plans are available if you want to build from scratch. I would thoroughly recommend getting some experienced assistance to learn to fly.

However, there's nothing to stop you building a model that inspires you but you may not be able to fly for a year or two - there are many who enjoy building more than flying and I've flown quite a few models simply for their owners to enjoy seeing them in the air.

I would normally advise joining a club or at least making contact with one before starting to build anything - local (and readily available) advice is invaluable. However, that's not so easy with the current pandemic, but there's plenty of expertise on this forum so don't be afraid to ask questions and post photos of your build as you go - if we can advise a better way of doing something it may avoid a lot of disappointment or reworking in the future.

Good luck and enjoy the hobby!

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 12/01/2021 11:43:54

Posted by John Cooper 1 on 12/01/2021 10:56:01:

What would people suggest for a total novice - never flown - never built Oh & 77. I am BORRED!!!!

Hi John, A kit is the way to go oweing to the shortage of balsa at present. The problem is that most of the kits manufacturers can't get balsa either, so many popular designs are sold out. I was going to suggest a simple glider like the Keilcraft Caprice or the Rubber powered Invader but having looked on several sites none are available sadly. Presumably you would like to fly it once it is finished so building a vintage type design which is inherently stable and slow flying is recommended. Ben Buckle produce many vintage designs, mostly for IC engines but electric conversions are frequently made and if you need advice regarding electrification contact George Worley at 4-Max.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 12/01/2021 11:55:33

Steve Webb has some kits available.   Choose something really simple to begin with.  Maybe this Guillows one which seems available and a simple build.  Then go on to something a bit more difficult to build up experience with balsa,  then move up to an RC model later.

You will find that strip balsa is still available from SLEC so choose a simple design that is mainly stripwood - most old designs were. Somebody recently had a link to firm selling short offcuts of sheet balsa which would provide the sheet balsa for small model - ribs etc.

Plan for the Invader is on Outerzone together with hundreds more for free download. Can print on an A4 printer and join with sellotape.

Edited By kc on 12/01/2021 12:36:14

Posted by Christopher Kilpatrick on 19/06/2007 10:08:00:
Hi,
thank you all for your advice but i would like to build a model from plans which i can power it with a nitro engine. Could anybody give me a model that is easy to build and that can be powered with a nitro engine?

thanks,

Christopher

Christopher you asked for a plan-build but I'm going to suggest something a little different.

Why don't you build a WOT 4 Classic from a Chris Foss kit? This is the more expensive version of the kit but a cheaper one is also available. **LINK** The wings require you to add the leading and trailing edges and to glue them together. The tails durfaces and the fselage are made from cut out balsa sheet. Given that you've been flying models for six years you will end up with a model with very good flying characteristics at all speeds. You'll learn how to glue wooden components together and learn the art of covering a model with film. Alright it's not a stick and tissue model, that can wait till later, but it'll get you started. I've never built one myself though an unstarted WOT 4 kit awaits my attention in the workshop. However, I've restored a couple of dogs and built the Chris Foss trainer, the Unowot, from scratch. The kit instructions for the Unowot were very comprehensive and easy to follow. Put a plain bearing 40 in a WOT 4 and it'll be very pleasant to fly. Put a 61 into it and it will be ballistic.!

Are you a member of a club Chrisopher? If not I urge you to join one. There I'm sure you'll meet someone who could help you with the build.

wot 4.jpg

Thanks for the replies

I should have said I am not interested in flying just want to build something as a frustrated DIYer & what ever I do needs to be CHEAP am looking at PIX-E with laser cut parts & wood pack but have a David Boddington Fokker Eindecker plan from years ago but it looks a bit complicated & I have lost the build article that went with it.

Posted by David Davis on 12/01/2021 12:37:22:
Posted by Christopher Kilpatrick on 19/06/2007 10:08:00:
Hi,
thank you all for your advice but i would like to build a model from plans which i can power it with a nitro engine. Could anybody give me a model that is easy to build and that can be powered with a nitro engine?

thanks,

Christopher

Are you a member of a club Chrisopher? If not I urge you to join one. There I'm sure you'll meet someone who could help you with the build.

Let's hope Christopher, the OP has managed to find a club in the 14 years since he posted his question, eh?!

If you can get foamboard then there are numerous free designs from FliteTest - very cheap to build and online videos to show construction too.

Recently there was a thread about building with available materials and this mentioned plastic like Correx which is availble in sheets from Wickes etc. Not as nice as building with balsa but it's available. Free plans mentioned too.

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 12/01/2021 12:48:45:
Posted by David Davis on 12/01/2021 12:37:22:

Let's hope Christopher, the OP has managed to find a club in the 14 years since he posted his question, eh?!

In the words of my old teacher, "Read the question and answer the question!"

Now what does that bloke Homer Simpson say?

Shouldn't the Moderators split this into two threads and put John Cooper's posting and replies to him into a separate thread to avoid people replying to a very old thread - todays situation is different due to balsa and kit shortage and therefore the advice differs too.

Posted by John Cooper 1 on 12/01/2021 10:56:01:

What would people suggest for a total novice - never flown - never built Oh & 77. I am BORRED!!!!

You have also said reasonably cheap and you do not intend to fly particularly.

I would suggest something designed for rubber power. The Vintage Model Company kits are really well designed and build well. As others have said, there is a balsa shortage so the range is limited at present, but they do have stock.

If you are not flying you only need to apply and shrink the tissue covering, so no problems with dope etc. These models are usually 20" or so, which are easier to find room for after. For flying I would not recommend a Spitfire/Hurricane/SE5a, but just to build there is plenty of fun to be had and extra details to add.

Posted by MarcoF on 12/01/2021 13:30:12:
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 12/01/2021 12:48:45:

Sorry for trying to be helpful.

I don't think it matters much that you replied to Christopher instead of John - his question is very similar and I'm sure the answers will have given John food for thought. 

By the way, welcome to the forum Marco - I hope you'll find it a generally friendly place and that your contributions will be appreciated.

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 12/01/2021 14:08:31