SC52 Four stroke

Jonny Turner

Advert

Hi Jonny, all my planes have SC engines, I swear by 'em. Some tips.......

Once they are run in and ticking over nicely which they do very well then you should put a tiny bit of something sticky (threadlock for eg) on the threads of the tiny low end adjustment screw. This stops it unwinding due to vibration.

Put a bit of oil into the nipple on the bottom of the engine after every flight.

If its been used then check the valve clearance. Its simple to do and hard to mess up. Adjust when the engine is cold.

1  get some feeler guages
2   remove the two allen bolts and lift off the rocker cover.
3  turn the engine by hand and watch the two valves go up and down. You will notice that at one point it is possible to turn the motor a little in each direction whilst both valves are closed and stay still.
4  When you have got to this point you have to loosen the nut and place a screwdriver into the slot on top of the thread.
5  Set your feeler guages to between 0.05 and 0.1mm (or 2 to 4 thou of an inch) and place it in the gap between the screw and the valve.
6  Turn the screw lightly until it just grips the guage.
7  Lock the nut back up being careful not to re adjust the valve
8  Repeat for the other valve.
9  Replace the cover.

My SC 52 starts immediately every time and never misses a beat even when its been stood for ages. Look after it and it'll never let you down.

• 2 weeks later...
fly boy3-what i do is- do the nut up and just before it's ready to tighten-apply some clear silicone the type used for fishtank's...any surplus-spread around the nut-it wont come undone-if your having prob's with the nut comming undone all the time i would balance your prop's and spinner's............

ken anderson...

ps- make sure the thread's and nut are dry/and clean before you put on the silicone........

I ran up an SC52 four stroke i've had sitting around for a few years last week, put a new plug in, popped it on a home made test stand, fueled with optifuel 4 stroke mix. Started first time. If you dont think theres enough power in it to fly a trainer then you've got a serious problem! Bags of power in mine with excellent smooth throttle response

Hi all, i have a SC 52 four stroke in my Kyosho Spit.
It has never run nicely, i have done the tappets, stripped the engine down and honed the bore ( i thought perhaps it had got hot in the spit ) all to no avail, after a flight there was less compression than before the flight !!
So, again i strip it down, i can't find anything wrong so re-built again and set the valve working clearances, lots of compression, i re-fit the cam cover and blimey, no compression ! remove the cam cover lots of compression, after looking under a glass, i found a slight lump of casting in the cam cover that was holding a valve partially open, never come across this before.
So, out with the dremel, 10 minutes later, one perfect running engine !!
Just thought i would let you know in case someone else has a similar problem.
Out of seven S/C i own, this is the first one that i have had trouble with, seriously good engines !
Regards as always
Chris.