Irritated by forum requests to log in when I am logged in.

Romeo Whisky

I get irritated when I log into the site, then go to the forum and spend time composing a response or new thread and then when I try to post it am told I must log in (which I already AM) in order to post the comment. 

So all the time I spent composing my comment is completely wasted!

This has happened repeatedly, so much so that it putting mte off bothering to post comments at all.

Advert

Happens to me from time to time. I can be logged in for a while (leaving some pages open), wander off and do other things, come back to the forum and when I open a new topic I need to log-in again. Doesn't happen often enough to be more than a minor irritation.
What I have learned, as Hamish suggests, is that if I have an attack of verbal diarrhoea, it makes sense to prepare the text in Notepad first - then i don't lose everything past the character limit!

Pete

I occasionally notice something similar. 

I usually leave this forum permanently "open" in a tab on Firefox and have a look at it from time to time.  Usually it leaves me logged-in without any problems.  Occasionally though I'll come back to the forum after a few hours away and navigate around a few threads.  When I then want to reply to one I see that the "reply" window and "quote" links aren't there,  and in fact I've been logged out.  If that happens once it tends to then happen a few times in the next day or two,  then it doesn't happen again for some time - maybe weeks.

I use google chrome, and frequently need to re-login (if there's such a word).  I've even been logged off simply for changing pages!  Another annoying feature is that the 'insert emotions' box always opens at the top of the page, despite the reply box being at the bottom.  Took me a while to find that out, I thought at first that it just wasn't opening at all.

You've probably got your browser set up to delete cookies & form data. Also having your browser set up to delete browsing history 'on exit' can have the same effect.

I don't have any problems.

BB

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 03/10/2009 22:08:00

I get a message telling me I need " to pass a thread ID " when I post a reply but it seems to go in anyway - just the hassle of backtracking to get back to forum listing makes it aggravating. 

also, when entering, the picture jumps about and a key noise almost every key stroke.  As this does not happen in other forums, I have assumed some sort of interaction with this website page ???

Edited By John Laird on 05/10/2009 12:08:12

Just happened to me again.  Submitted a posting after having come to the thread via my bookmarks, so must have been logged in, only to be asked to log in again, and to lose my carefully crafted words of wisdom.  On trying to was taken to the 'My Details' page, and had to re-save it before being allowed to continue.

Original attempt was to say that some browsers can be configured to re-open tabs that were active when the browser was shut down.  In fact some appear to open a cached copy of the page.  If you were logged on when you last closed down, then this will still be indicated, although you are not.  I now refresh pages before doing anything with them.