Balsa filler

Andy Freeman

Advert

DeLuxe Model Lite is a lightweight filler coloured light brown to match Balsa. .
I have used it in the past, very useful if the wood shows through the covering as in fibreglass cloth covering or transparent films. (Usual disclaimer)

I've just bought a pot of Model Lite. It's my first time using a balsa filler. It's a bit odd to use at first (it's the consistency of Angel Delight) and like any filler, if you're prone to slapping it on, clogs the sandpaper when getting it off.
As I've got used to it though, I'm more careful in applying it and it's a doddle to sand out to a good finish. I think there are some pics in my Yak build blog photos of the fuse partly filled / sanded if that helps. I'll have a look later and if not I'll post some. The stuff I'm using is the bog-standard white not balsa coloured as Richard suggested above, as I'm glassing and painting the model anyway and I wanted a contrast to the filler so I could see where I'd put it and how thick etc.
Hope this helps. 

The one I use for dings and hanger rash on bare unsealed balsa is water.
Spray it on the damage a couple of times and walk away.
After and hour or so the wood should eb dry again and the ding will have disappeared.
More stubborn dings can be steamed.
Both add no weight.

Failing that, very light weight filler.
If you pick the tub up and it feels like it is full of marshmallow then that is the one to use.

yeap, I'm a "model lite" man myself too. Marshmallow is a good description of the consistancy!

I tend to find that P38 is OK - but only in very small amouts for say sealing a wing seat becuase it has some mechanical strength. I can't get on with polyfiller - it seems too brittle to me - but maybe I dont mix it right?

BEB

• 7 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If the dents in your balsa are light you can easily remove them by wetting and then holding a hot covering iron on it. The dented wood swells back and dent disappear without the need for filler or sanding. Deeper dents or gouges obviously need filling and light  weight filler is good for this. For dents where weight isn't quite as important then "Ronseal Woodfill" is very good. It sets quickly similar to P38 but is much lighter and sands at  a very similar rate to balsa. It is available in white or off white so blends with balsa quite well.

As mentioned above, wetting a dent in balsa sometimes swells the dent back out again, and I also find that going over the wet dent with a hot sealing iron makes the water expand, helping to push the dent out. Failing that, back to 'fillers' I have used Wilko's 'smooth' surface filler with success. Ronaldo

Edited By Ronaldo on 27/05/2017 11:29:35