MDS 40 won`t start

christopher small

Advert

Right, here goes.

First thing is to speak to Just Engines about their replacement carb, but before that let me see if I still have mine in the shed. Also replace the O-ring at the bottom of the throat, these fade all the time.

Second thing is to fit an Enya #3 glow plug. Don't ask me why but this is the exclusive plug these engines run on.

Third thing, get a long(preferably unused, fuel tastes rank) piece of fuel tube and put one end on the carb nipple. Open the main needle 3 turns and the barrel to idle, then blow through the fuel tube into the carb. Screw the idle needle IN until the hissing air noise stops, then back out until it just starts again.

Fourth thing, try and get hold of a gallon of Ripmax Team Fuel 5%. It's only 15% oil but it's fully synthetic and the engine will actually last a full season.

Fifth(possibly!), has it got one of those exhausts with the really shiny baffle chamber? If it does take that out and drill 4 holes in it as big as you can, these exhausts are seriously restrictive.

Now make sure everythings nice and tight, and give it a blast. The carb settings will need tweaked, but with an afternoon and a bit of patience you should be alright.

Chris. Put it in a drawer and forget it.Don't waste any more time/money/fuel on it. Any modern cheap 0.40 will run straight from the box and give years of use. Although its not the cheapest, an Enya plain bearing 0.40 engine will run for ever, hardly ever need adjusting and give more power than the MDS.
I only bought a MDS years ago because they were cheap and in the Robbe catalogue! Never was easy to start. First one had the front bearing fail after about ten seconds of running, replaced under guarantee.

Hi Grant
Thanks for all your help,I have now put in a number 3 glow plug,the test with the fuel tube shows a blockage in the carb.
It will now be taken out of the plane and bench run.I can practice my starting,tuning,and dissmantling.I might learn a few things then.
It may even go back in.
Richard,I have got an Enya SS40 in the loft,only run a couple of times,I will try that for now.especially after what you say about them.
Chris.

mon rmx 40 marche normalement et d'un coup il s'arrete net par manque d'alimentation carburant. meme pointeau regle tres riche. bougie enya 3 reservoir et durite changes et toujours le meme probleme. pourtant le moteur demarre au quart de tour a la main. Qui a eu se genre de probleme et quels remedes? merci

Google translation! You will like this. 'My rmx 40 walk normally and of a blow it stopped Net for lack of containing hydrocarbon food. same punch regulates very rich. candle enya 3 tank and hose connection exchanges and always the same problem. however the engine starts with the quarter of tower to the hand. Who had kind of problem and which remedies? thank you

Samy Zekik
Comment ca va ? Les accents me manque sur mon ordinateur anglais mais j'essayerais a communiquer avec vous (ou es-ce que c'est tu?)
quelqu'un a essayer a traduire votre "thread" au sujet MDS. Quel catastrophe !
Je m'appelle Myron et il y a 2 ou 3 annees je suis retourne (sans accent m'excuse) en Angleterre . Vous etes de quel region je me demande ?.Mon EX habite en Bretagne avec mon fils ou j'etait un aviateur de modellisme .Quel difference la-bas ! La France me manque beaucoup L'atmosphere les aviateurs et tout (et un coup de rouge aussi)
Salut et bon chance avec votre MDS (Vachement )..Au revoir.

Timbo
Its certainly NOT off topic but t'was an MDS chat to our French contributer in his own language that I happen to have learnt having lived there some years & at the time being married to a "frog".Don't you like Europeans joining in ?. Just'cos most British can't even speak their own language -never mind spell it? Obviously not conversant with far Eastern languages either- hence my short note to a confused French gentleman.
Very grumpy Myron ! Tolerance please I don't knock Welsh folks (or do I) cough cough

PS Hope 'er indoors is progressing well

Myron...I was joking - I think :-)
As a complete non starter ( bit like an MDS engine ? ) in foreign languages, I didnt have clue what you lot were rambling on about LOL.
Thanks for the wishes re: the missus, she is not quite indoors yet, I hope to collect her and bring her home later today :) :) :)
Why VERY grumpy today matey ??

Well guys I use 2 mds 40's with no worries at all,had a prob with one of them in the begining but after tightning the carb screw no worries, the only thing about them is run them in very rich with about 5 full 8oz tanks of fuel,and very rich,then on one full tank run then at 20 secs rich then close the needle for 20 secs lean,it's a pain in the ass but it works.

• 3 weeks later...
Only just seen this thread. When I took up the hobby again after a nine year enforced layoff, I bought a few mags to see just what people were using and guess what? All of the reviewers were raving about MDS so I bought a 48. Starting on the bench was easy, but the throttle kept jamming at high, which reprofiling of the carb. slot cured. Not very helpful when it is shaped like a letter `P`. Usual Enya 3 was useless. I fitted a cooler plug and upped the nitro to 10%. Bingo! Idle perfect Very powerful motor, excellent piston/liner set-up , but it cools too quickly on the ground. It now languishes in a drawer until it becomes a museum piece, unless of course you want to buy a rare, running, MDS? Martin Mc.

just this week I became the owner of an MDS40 as part of a three engine deal.  The MDS looks clean, no great marking around the mounting bolts, or any other indicator that it's seen much running. 

Not surprising really, just looking it over I noticed what appeared to be a very narrow exhaust  port cut in the liner.  A closer look revealed a second port cut next to it, but set much lower.  Of course it was just that the liner doesn't have an alignment peg and had been assembled 45 degrees out in relation to the block, so that non of the ports lined up.  Now I'll need to find an airframe for it just to see if it lives up o the MDS reputation.

I had exacty the same happen with a Taijet 25 I bought second hand 20(?) years ago, it came free with an airframe I wanted.  Turned the liner roud 180 degrees in the cylinder and doubled it's power output at least.  It's still running now, albeit the exhaust consists of 50% waste gases and 50%  fine ground alloy in oil suspension.  Must be just about run in by now!

• 2 years later...
Hello, thought I'd revive this old thread! 

I've just been running up my old MDS 38, bought new a while ago, but dormant for a few months after I lost my nerve flying the model it lives in!  I did eventually get it going well before after loads of dead sticks and I'm now re-tuning.  I spent a while adjusting the main needle and it revs well and tick-over is good. The pinch test is good.  (Initial tests weren't helped by the fact that the kerplunk had got stuck at the top and front of the tank. Possibly after an impact!) As I recall from before, it's very critical to get the slow running screw right! 

I think in the old days (when I had it running well) it liked a glo plug with a bar across it.  Seems to be running ok now,  but one question, it's a fraction slow (hesitates slightly) to pick up when opening the throttle.   Anyone have any tips or suggestions (apart from chuck it in the bin!)

I used to find my MDS 40 Pro was top notch if I ran with 10-15% nitro in the fuel it helped with the throttle pickup. I had it in a Ripmax Extra Slim.
I even found starting became easy when primed with 4 turns of the prop with the carb open and a thumb over it first before adding the power to the glow plug then using the motor starter.
My Plane out lived  the engine and I still bought a further 2 x MDS engines one a 48 and the other a 68.

If you haven't already get some nitro added to your fuel