Grrr... Futaba, I feel cheated.

birdy

Upon arriving home after work today, I found that the latest BMFA News had come, and with it Ripmax's new catalogue. Browsing through the catalogue, I saw the new Futaba 2.4 skysport for the ideal introduction to radio control. On FHSS. Ie. their new 2.4 cheap 4channel receiver will not work with all previus futaba 2.4 sets! The cheek! All of the FASST users have been complaning about the expense of the rxs, so they come out with a new cheaper 2.4 rx that they claim to be "the ultimate in solid." Now frankly, this make me very very ANGRY! GRRRRRRR!!!!

have a good weekend,

birdy 

Advert

Do you mean the 4 channel indoor/parkfly one R6004FF I have one a friend brought back from the States for me last year and it works fine with my Futaba 10C which is at least 18 months old.
            There is a 3 channel R/X in the Ripmax catalogue that's not compatible, is that the one you mean? 

There's nothing new in this really Birdy, over the years there have been several "entry level" systems that have compatibility issues within manufacturer's ranges. This set may not even be made in house by Futaba but bought in and badged up as their gear. 
          It's annoying for you for sure and there are no excuses really, but like I say nothing new. 

Edited By Ultymate on 27/03/2010 20:26:17

There are several reasons for doing it

1) It makes the Tx and Rx cheaper to make
2) Its a deliberate design ploy to make sure buyers of the higher end systems are locked into the more expensive (and more profitable) Rx's

Seems a bit silly though as buyers of the 4 channel set would be more likely to upgrade to another Futaba set if they could use their existing Rx's.

Futaba Rx's are more expensive yes, but how many reports on this forum of models lost due to brown outs/loss of signal compared to say the Spectrum .

Small price to pay compared to the total  cost of your model .

Not taking sides,but I would rather  pay a bit  more for reliable equipment.

Kelvin

I don't know about anybody else but I'm constantly confused by the names & numbers of radio Txs & Rxs as they arrive on the scene every week or so ,whether they are Futaba /Spectrum  or  anyone elses clones for that matter . How come life can't be a bit more commonsensible  It's a bit like the numbers etc on 'Lekky motors" isn't it ? Is it really going to help the marketing by manufacturers of their products ? They must all know the competition out there ! Just make it easier I say . I for one read of other modellers experience with various items before purchasing anything only to find that after a week,a month,a year, that it has been superceded by the "best yet" product Our market is nothing like as big as the new - car one so why not make it all a lot simpler ?. It might even work !
On the other hand ,am I the only one that thinks like this ?
Morosemoron

No Myron, you're not the only one who thinks that way - there are at least two of us

What is the point of a EXT60087ES1-1.... etc etc. Why can't manufacturers just give a simple designation that made some sense outside the rarified relm of corporate HQ. So now we have FASST from Futaba - OK what's wrong with calling the transmitters: TX8-FASST for an 8 channel and TX6-FASST for a 6 channel etc. Then receivers would just be RX-8-FASST and so on. If there were two 8 channel FASST receivers then could be RX-8a and RX-8b. Why do they have to make it so complicated? If they think it impresses us by sounding more "technical" well here is one punter it doesn't work on - and I suspect I'm not alone!

By the way - I've picked on Futaba here, but it seems to me that they are all equally guilty of this pseudo "techno-speak".

BEB (almost as Grumy as Myron!)

birdy-dont dispair-the new futaba is a very basic set-----comming out to get users on the hook--knowing that they will have to step up to a higher spec set etc......keep grafting you'll soon have the dosh for a blingy set.....

ken anderson.

Edited By ken anderson. on 28/03/2010 15:54:58

Hi i also received my BMFA bits plus Ripmax Cat  i see plenty of 2.4 advertised but no 35meg does that mean it is no longer being produced my the makers,i have flown 35meg now about 40 years since it changed from 27meg,i used to fly 3 times a week plus comps & displays i currently have 2 field force 6s a field force 7 & field force 8 all in current use ,& and can honestley say i have never had any problems with interferance or problems with futaba on 35 megs.

avensis flying

Posted by barry saint on 28/03/2010 16:19:36:
Hi i also received my BMFA bits plus Ripmax Cat  i see plenty of 2.4 advertised but no 35meg does that mean it is no longer being produced my the makers

Have a look again at the front cover.  It's not actually a Ripmax Catalogue,  it's a catalogue of "New Items 2010."  As such it doesn't include stuff that's been available for a while,  just items that are due out or recently launched.  For instance you won't find the R617FS receiver (2.4GHz) listed, as it's not "new." 

I doubt any new 35MHz would be launched now though I imagine production of existing 35MHz gear will continue for as long as there's any demand for it - which might not be that long...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...