Typhoon builders discussion thread

Hi there I have just been enjoying looking at the Typhoon photos and cant wait for the article and plans to appear.It is hard to get an idea of size from the photos but is there enouigh distance between the firewall as shown and the front of the cowl to get a four stroke in?
My building board has been cleared, except for my Wot 4 which went dead stick today and couldnt make it back to the strip.......
Regards David
PS going by the interest shown in this Typhoon I get the impression that balsa bashing is alive and well. Although I have only been aero modelling for the last three years I have built from two free plans, Peter Millers Tipsy Junior (03/2005) and Mike Keays Basic 3D (03/2006) which is a great flyer. Cheers.

Bob,
The Typhoon is destined for the RCM&E special which is due out mid September and yes there will be a cnc pack, canopy, cowl. As to the price well that down to RCM&E. I'm hoping to have the model and a few plan packs availiable at the Southern Model Show, September, in the SLEC tent.

Hope to see you there

Tony

Hi there,
I have just finished putting a weston Groove together and i am looking forward to getting on with a bit of proper balsa bashing again (ARTF's arnt realy my thing). I had a few ideas for the next project but having viewed the pics for your Typhoon my mind is set that it will be on the board as soon as i get the plan. No doubt it will be up to the usual standard. keep up the good work

• 1 month later...

Hello Tony,

The Typhoon in the Autmn special looks terrific.

I am quite a novice at building and this will be my first attempt at building from a plan pack. Could you tell me if the plans with the pack show the fusealage full length please? I am a bit concerned at making a straight fuselage with virtually building in two halves, do you have any advice please? The panel lines on the finished model are really striking, can you tell me how to produce these please.

Many thanks,

Keith Lewis     

How long will the CNC pack be available for?

As much as I want to get this build started (delayed by no other reason than to clear some working space) it will be some months before I can even find space to store the wood pack never mind work on it.

A desperate situation I know so some scheduling will be necessary.

Today i tried to purchase the CNC plan pack over the phone and was told what ever i do, dont strat cutting anything out as the plan is the wrong size so the CNC pack wont be available for some time.

Are they going to produce a new CNC plan pack or do a new plan and when can we expect to make a start.

Cheers

Adrian

Guys, Just to clarify the situation as I understand it from RCM&E, the plan has been undersize by 10% (if you measure the wing dihedral distance on the plan which states 65mm, it actually reads 57mm). New plans are being printed and will be sent out with the VAC formed moulds and CNC packs. The VAC formings and CNC pack are correct

I have been assured that RCM&E will be correcting the problem as soon as possible.

Regards Tony

Oh dear, this is not good news! I live in France and have just gone to all the trouble of arranging for someone in the UK to get me the RCM&E Special so I have the Typhoon plan. Now it seems the plan is not correct? A revised plan in another RCM&E issue is not very helpful for me. Shouldn't new plans be posted out to those who bought the "Special" issue in all good faith?

Danny, I believe there is talk about reprinting the plan and puting it in a future edition of RCM&E...I guess we will have to wait and see

As someone who only buys rcme now and again this is very disapointing and like having to pay for the plan twice if you do as you propose. i specifically bought the special for this plan. 

what about all the people that dont use this forum and start building ??????????? Is all their hard work going to go to waste???????????????

personally i think you should recall all mags and send out replacements for those that have already bought.

I think some suggestions are a bit OTT. Likely only a small percent of purchasers will have bought the "special" just for the plans and a similar percentage of subscription customers will build it.

Quite a few "plans" elsewhere are a bit wonky, f'rinstance the ones with my Northstar kit, and yes that has been a known problem for a while.

I believe David will do his best to alleviate the problem, within reason.

I am writing this having only just read of the problem, so forgive me for being abrupt...............But I bought the special purely to get AND build the free plan. offering the plan again in a future issue doesn't really appeal to me as a solution. I was about to make a start on the model; building straight from the plan and did not intend to use the CNC pack, so a new plan sent out with the pack wouldn't benifit me. I would only have discovered the problem when i bought the cowl and found it didn't fit the model!! Had i not of left the plan at home today i would have paid even more to get it photocopied for using as templates and would certainly not have been a happy bunny then.

No, I don't think the reaction is OTT, the free plan is worthless, and might as well go in the bin! What a waste of a talented designers efforts! I guess I'll have to look at something else to build next, Oh well...........

a slightly cheese'd off Walts

While I can understand people's frustration, it's a common feature of reproduction processes that unwanted scaling occurs. 

Not this extreme of course, but anyone is ill advised to blindly go off building parts of something without prior access to the other pre built parts to ensure fit.  Maybe 40 plus years of being an Engineer has given be a different perspective on life, but I really can't see that going ahead assuming that a part will fit after many hours of work is good practise!!

Normal 100% photocopying rarely gives a true exact scale copy.

I look to RCM&E to correct the error in a manner that does not incur people in excessive costs, but I don't think it's unreasonable to issue the plan again in another Mag, and possibly make plans downloadable for those with access to printing (though watch for that scaling!!!)

I was going to scale it anyway, as it happens!!!!