50th Anniversary Issue

Roger in Dubai

Advert

WEll chaps, I received mine yesterday..... postal charges...... I have to pay more than you guys, ( in Aus ) but my point is, if you get it sent to you, you know you are going to get it. "down under", some "specials" don't get stocked by the local paper shop, So unless you order it, and that can take 2 mnths, and as far as the "stuck on plan" great idea , it came off, gently, no problems, no pin holes  
A.A.Barry

Got mine from Halifax WHSmith on Saturday morning - there were about a dozen in the rack.

Good read - bit different to each month but very good.  Seeing those old Digimacs and Skyleaders brought back lots of memories.............. as does the Ad for the cambria Capstan !!

I think it was a bit sad seeing all those unbuilt kits in Ali's collection - maybe I'm sentimental but I think kits should be built and flown. 

GG

Ordered mine from Hobbystore as postage versus petrol/parking is a no-brainer for me and at least you get one and it's pristine - hasn't been thumbed by time wasters
Very Interesting reading about the old time stuff - lacky bands and reeds etc. Had a Waltron 2 channel for my RC yacht back in the 70s but always thought the case was rubbish even then but I suppose it was pretty standard British manufacturing during that decade of general discontent

Grumpy i am with you on this one i find it really sad that people collect kits after all what are they lumps of wood thay are nothing if they are not built and flown, i can understand Ali collecting them to build at a later stage in life ,,,,but does he need 3 of everything, i know he says everything is for sale but im not sure he would sell at a resonable price kits should be built and flown otherwise they are just bits of wood in a cardboard box

Just got back from a week in Cornwall where I read the 50th jobby in fine style cover to cover, savouring it over a full six days!

I loved the KC articles, decade by decade, very good Kevin, very good indeed.

I found some of the predictions a bit, erm, fanciful and nonsensical.  Time will tell, but no one even mentioned remote charging and that'll be here (for models and r/c) in about two years I reckon if not sooner..   Anyway...Someone mentioned (in the old predictions I think) that models all get to look the same -  then we go from a few early reviews etc and the wonderful Galaxy offering to the review of the latest the market offers .  Was it an Edge or an Extra or...I dunno, can't remember, they all the same to me these days!  That Galaxy jobby though...Great anniversary issue chaps, well done and thanks.  It really was a superb trip down memory lane.  I had all but forgotten DEACS, dowel and tube hinges and huge amounts of downthrust.   I swear my pages smelled of Castor!

David 

As I'm a long way from home in the desert sands of Arabia, I have to pay the postage on everything! No problem, I thought, I'll order a couple of back issues along with the 50th anniversary and make the best use of the postal charges....well, the back issues arrived last week in a nice padded envelope, 50th special nowhere to be seen!
Marvelous!

sparks

Edited By sparks59 on 25/07/2010 04:25:55

Go myself a copy from WHS in Minehead the other day. Good to see 'Ohm 8' again. I built one from the original plans. Following an initial atempt to fit it with a home made Galloping Ghost control (spending more time trying to get it to work rather than fly) I fitted it with a manual pulse system.
Button down full left rudder, button up full right rudder but no motor control.
I had many exciting flights with my Enya engine screaming at full bore, as only Enyas could.
Yes, manual pulse was not as difficult as it sounds nowadays.
She's a tought little craft, mine was covered in nylon, and nothing ever broke despite some unothadox landings!!
By the way editor there is no undercart details given on the new plan, did you know?
Rick.  

Rick...

On the original Ohm8 plan there is a note - "Use Veron dural u/c". On the new version, the note says "Original used Veron dural u/c". The shape & size of the u/c wasn't available, but maybe somebody would have access to one or similar to let you know?

Grahame

Excellent publication, brings back so many memories. A lot of research went into this. One to keep.

I ordered mine on Monday, it arrived yesterday, less than 24 hours. Well done.(Somebody appears to have bought the last (only?) one from Shrewsbury Smiths!)

I agree with others on the thread that ,its a crying shame that all those kits in Als, shed just sit there,  at least some of them could be put to good use, even to the point of reproducing them, provided copy right was not infringed.I dont begrudge Al his kits far from it but, I wonder if would consider offering copies of the plans at least, provided they were workable drawings.
dave

If anyone is having trouble getting a copy from their local WHS, you may want to try Hobbycraft. The Sheffield store had several copies on it's shelf yesterday!

What a read - brought tears to my eyes bringing back all those memories. My radio control started off with the McGregor Terrytone kits with that humungous Tx case - in fact I still have the case and circuit board, although I cannabalised it for the switches to build an RCM&E Simpletone Tx.

The Terrytone Rx was then superceded by a Minimac relay Rx driving an Elmic Conquest, then Commander and Corporal escapements. I then became very flash and found some single channel servos - Minimite and Minimo if my memory serves me.The Simpletone was then itself cannabalised to build the SimplSimul GG Tx which was teamed with a GG servo - but could never get much success.

As for Al's stock I agree - it seems such a waste to hoard them all. But who am I to talk - my next project is to complete the Veron Tiger Moth I started to build some 25 years ago !!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, firstly, this may seem off topic, but I was bought a Subscription as a present, sent in LONG before pub date for August edition, requesting Aug edition start, then after a long delay was sent a note stating it would start in September.....so..............Waiting.

Subscriber Offer Tx?........Waiting.

50th Special....................have dropped into a whole LOAD of WHS's and other newsagents who sell RCME,  from Derbyshire through to Penzance via SE London and West Sussex various dates since the pub date (and was looking before while I was there) till today 14th August, when I decided I'd not bother doing any more waiting, just not worth the hassle!