north east rogue's

just had a phone call telling me that one of my friends who live's in the ashington area of the north east of uk...has been broken into and all his radio modelling equipment has been stolen(models and radio's)....anyone offered any cheap gear phone the police........thankyou..

ken anderson...ne...1

Advert

I'll keep an eye out too ! I don't live far way . My van was vandalised AGAIN last night . I went to get a puncture fixed (two nails close together) -unrepairable  caused by some animal a while ago & when talking to the tyre man ,he told me of a woman who had her tyres slashed one by one per day .That was in Gosforth not far away either .I know how you feel
Myron

Hi Ken, Myron, Erflog, Geoff,

It's quite depressing and sickening to think that some verminous scum consider that it's acceptable behavior to wander off with someones treasures or vandalize someone else s property. I've had two Bikes nicked in the past, and the local police weren't much use either. In fact I was met with a rather irritated plod who I suspect, that I'd pulled him away from his breakfast which I could smell ( bacon), and his comment that I wouldn't see that again which did nothing to raise my opinion of him.
I did get a phone call a couple of years afterwords to ask if I'd recovered either of the bikes, and I remember saying that I would have thought that they would have a role to play in recovering my property, when they'd finished their breakfast that is. Apparently not.

Rant over,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 26/06/2010 16:33:45

Steady on Big Bandit, you will send our resident member with a social conscience into Epilepsy.

We all have sympathy with anyone who has been a victim of crime (that is the person who has had their good removed or property damage against their wishes, for the benefit of those with  a social conscience).  I have always found it reassuring that crime is falling according to the governments preferred index.

Being absolutely serious, it does emphasis how important adequate insurance can be.

I do hope you get your goods back. There should be a real chance, as the outlets for modelling goods is somewhat limited. Most if not all modelling shops, will be reluctant to sell second hand goods from an unknown source.

Regarding the police. Most of us recognise that they are very much needed. As for the settingof  prioritise, hopefully that has changed. I no longer see armies of Police Safety Vehicles perched on what seems like every other motorway bridge. Yep get them solving crimes, those things that concern us, the public.

The suggestion of E-Bay  sales may be a good idea, involves a lot of work for you, searching the site, possibly for a month or so.  It would be unreasonable to think that the Police can do this, due to the high time required and the relatively low value.

Hope you are successful

i know the lad who has been done over-and a nice lad he is-----i have'nt seen him yet to talk to-but going off memory i would say---an acrowot c/w an o/s 70 4st...a ripmax ep spit...some glider's and a couple of futaba tx's...+ more stuff.......we were talking today at our patch about the theft and the opinion is that the model's will be broken down for the electronic's and motor's/servo's etc and sold on or used....

ken anderson....ne...1..

All plane or engines etc that are stolen must end up at a flying site sooner or later.  We need to watch out for the stuff more actively.

I noticed that 4 or 5 adverts on EBay were all from the same small area and they had sold lots of aero stuff.  Not in itself suspicious, but  the sellers  were all women!  Not many women pilots around so how come they are always selling aero gear?  Widows selling up?  Or perhaps its the way these things are done....passed from person to person  into another area where its not noticed.
Perhaps the BMFA should have a permament list of stolen items with descriptions.

KC,

I think the ones to watch for are where the seller knows very little about the item for sale. I can understand the son who is selling off his late fathers gear, or as you say a widow selling off some gear. lets face it even my missus knows enough about model aircraft to put up a half decent description and she prefers to avoid modeling, but some of the technical jargon and descriptions are bound to rub off over time. It's wise to contact the seller in good time before the auction ends and ask searching questions before buying and notify Ebay of significant issues where there's strong doubt.

Not sure about car boots and swap meets, I would imagine that they would be too risky.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted by kc on 27/06/2010 17:03:16:

Perhaps the BMFA should have a permament list of stolen items with descriptions.

Not quite the same as a permanent list,  but the BMFA classified ads section has a "Lost/Found" section which includes a category for Stolen items.  One ad in there at the moment - a mower stolen from a club in Bury.  (I wonder if that's Andy's?)

When we were kids we were advised to slip a name and address paper into the handlebars of our bikes. Perhaps it's time to do something similar with our Transmitters? Mark the wing ribs before covering? Engrave initials on servos and engines? Just a few thoughts, the police won't or can't procecute without clear identification of the owner. Perhaps it's time that all engine makers cast a serial number into their products? Surely electronics could have a MAC number in one of the ICs' .
I've bought a few things off e-bay recently, I did wonder about the lack good grammar by some of the sellers. Maybe I'm wrong but I've always associated lack of education with the criminal classes.

Edited By Tony Prince on 28/06/2010 12:26:24