Selling on E Bay

Stephen Grigg

Advert

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 31/12/2010 22:52:55:
My son has given me a few tips.It seems things make more money with no reserve,so thats a gamble.Have it finish 9 pm at night,especially Sunday so everyone is in,Think of a good write up of the item,it has to be the best one in town,but honestly.Good photographs ,at least 4 or 5.

Yes he is right, get the full specs, some good reviews, good pics, RRPs and make a whole big story about it.

Don't leave the seller having to look it up on the web to even get the wingspan!!!

I wanted to bid for a plane last week I asked the seller the wingspan, and his reply was for to google it. It didn't sell.

I sold my MGF in October (bad time to sell a soft top) but I listed everything I had done to it, lots of photos, the person who bought it knew the condition, and that it was a little bit special. Lots of interest and it sold for 30% more than similar ones on at the time.

Now there are some people with a rather inflated idea of values,

Take a look at this and bear in mind that SMC are selling the new kit for £125.

Just look at what is left of the right wing.

Note also his postal charges, especially to USA.

Edited By Peter Miller on 01/01/2011 09:17:26

Posted by Peter Miller on 01/01/2011 09:13:49:
Now there are some people with a rather inflated idea of values,

Take a look at this and bear in mind that SMC are selling the new kit for £125.

Just look at what is left of the right wing.

Note also his postal charges, especially to USA.

Edited By Peter Miller on 01/01/2011 09:17:26

Is it January 1st  or April 1st?

• 5 months later...
Someone said on this Forum,why when selling models do people say Pick up only!I can now tell you why.I sold 4 models and put £20 pand p.The first went into a Zlin 50 box cost £15,ok.2nd I had to make a box ,spent £20 on tape and Brown paper,cost £19,both Parcel Force..3rd on although it weighed 16 Kilos,stood 6ft high and had to go Courier to Scotland,the size due to 65 inch wing span.Cost to Scotland an additional £27 to go to highlands of course I didnt know about £77.This is because they consider that size of box should weigh 77kilos and it takes that much space in the cage it goes into.Of course the buyer wasnt interested in helping towards any further costing,I made no better price for the model and virtually gave a once only flown , Cessna 182 65" wingspan model with an OS 46FXservos,just add receiver,gave it away great.The packing takes ages and Ive now a Puppeteer to pack thats going to France.At least the buyer understands the extra cost and is paying.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ive been very busy for the last couple of weeks selling my collection of car models on E bay.Funds have been short and the models generally lurk in th shed so felt it was time to go.I found a Mamod Steam car lurking in a corner,very rusty and sad.Put it on for £1 start and it surprised me by making £26.Continuing along this line Im now putting some of my models on also as Im not getting enough time to fly them all and its sensible to get a bit more money in to use in a new small business venture Im planning.So just to let everyone know at the moment I have for sale3 First is my Messchersmidt BF108B with a not yet run in SC 91 4 stroke ,flies beautifully , its Graupner ARTF and only needs receiver

Stephen,

I am curious as to why you went to ebay to sell these rather than first trying BMFA classifieds or the classifieds on here. Both are free, and you could have set an asking price of what you wanted- and so had some extra security. Obviously if they didn't sell then ebay becomes a sensible alternative.

Totally agree and ,but Ive never had success anywhere else but E bay and Ive been getting good bids on things.I think the E Bay auction thing sometimes brings better results and from selling the cars needindg a certain target of funds for my 2012 project requires a quick sale .Please keep your fingers crossed,the cars did better than expected

• 2 years later...

I've had no luck with buying or selling through either BMFA or Modelflying classifieds, but I've sold a lot of items on Ebay with no trouble. However, the latter have now become very greedy with their fees and you need, more than ever, to factor them in to the prices you will accept. I also find that 'Buy it Now' will often sell an item when auction won't, presumably because many people want to know they've secured the purchase immediately, rather than wait for the auction to end and fail to make the winning bid.

I prefer using ebay. The reason why is that the BMFA site is so slooow and the last thing I advertised here just got spammed from stupid spammers.

Also ebay accepts Paypal and is so-far fuss free. Also had no luck selling anything through BMFA or here. Have put stuff on, but was a total waste of time.

Selling old stuff on ebay, such as 35mhz rx, old airframes allows me to buy replacement stuff, such as 2.4rx's and new airframes. A Zero from SWM recently bought at less than 1/2 rrp. They do have one A6M Zero left, which I'm assembling right now as we speak.

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 13/03/2012 07:54:25:

Ive been very busy f...... First is my Messchersmidt BF108B with a not yet run in SC 91 4 stroke ,flies beautifully , its Graupner ARTF and only needs receiver

Have you got a link for the ebay auction?

Edited By Paul Marsh on 07/06/2014 15:48:21