The Biplane Thread

Advert

hi beb,
thank you, as I said this is the large one with SC400 5cylinder Darren made most of it from plans, I bent the wire and made the cut the nos,roundels etc..I am going to try and load a photo of mine (Small size as per plan) on its first take off on 1/1/11. this one is powered by a SC52FS much to powerful, but we have throttles!. I have installed closed loop on rudder and elevator and bolted on the bottom wing as opposed to bands.
Brian

I always like closed loop on both rudder and elevators - in my view their is no better way. You get really positive control.

Although I wouldn't have said that last night when I was struggling with the elevators on the new Tiggie. Installed the cables, made them to length, tensioned them. All very nice. Connect up the rx to test - one elevator goes up but wont go down, the other wont move at all!

After a lengthy investigation (like have I connected them up incorrectly with the wrong cable going to the wrong horn etc.) I find the source of the problem - the cables are tangled inside the - now covered - fuselage . Had to remove a "panel" of covering, untangle and then re-size all the cables! All well in the end - just have to repair the covering now

BEB

This is my Phoenix Tiger Moth 40,designed for IC but converted to EP with a Turnigy SK4250 650kv using a 60A Hobbywing ESC and 4S 3000mah Li-Po.
Vital stats:
AUW 5lb 2oz; 12 x 8 Master Airscrew ; 472W; 32.6A;  wing loading 13 oz/sqft; 92 W/lb.

It's my first bipe - and judging by the pleasure I get from seeing it drifting scale-like around the patch, it won't be the last!

Pete

I am just about to start  building the Fairey Swordfish from the Traplet plan (?!?), I have the Fairey Alabacore plan which shows folding wings. I want to incorporate this feature into the Swordfish without the chance of the wings folding in flight!! 

I can modify the Albacore details although I will be messing with someones design. The notes on the Albacore plan state the rigging is functional but  the rigging ties between the struts which is part of the wing that folds ie doesn't tie back in to the fuselage.  So I am a bit concerned here.

I suppose what I am asking is if I fix two metal brackets to the the A) wing spar and B) in front of the trailing edge  (obviously reinforced) and use a 4mm dia piviot, will that take the loads, which is basically what the Alabacore shows.

I know Richard Crapp did on his large Swordfish but its way out of my league.

I dont fancy taking a year (slow builder) to build only to see it do an impression of  a heli autorating back to terra firma!

Any thoughts, advice, comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

All those nice scale planes..............OK, time for a Biplane reality check..............

now THAT's a Biplane.......................

91SC 2Stroke, 20% nitro, loops and knife edges from less than 1/3 throttle, flat spin upwards, to launch just hold vertical and release on half throttle.....................

If only I had a pic of my original panic, multi coloured and textured it was, yes film and text, covered with all the bits of scrap covering I could find, looked truly hideous, but I was a student then, couldn't afford much and I though it looked cool. Powered by a Webra Speed 61 and pipe as I remember, all second hand.

Linds

Hi all, I'm hopng the picture comes out ok,it's the first one I've mailed to the forum.
The model is a Krier Kraft,the same prototype as featured previously ,but this one is to 1/4 scale,giving a wingspan of 71".It was all built-up construction,covered with solartex,and sprayed with 2-pack car paint.I flew this model for many years,powered by a variety of engines,starting with a Tartan 22cc,then successively with a Super Tigre 2000,Super Tigre 3000,and finally an OS BGX 35cc.It was the best flying model I ever had,but foolishly I sold it to a club-mate,who demolished it in a very short time.I am now in the process of building a replacement,I'll try and get some construction shots on here if anybody is interested,and providing this picture is ok.................right,here goes............................Mal

HI, another shot of my Krier Kraft, parked behind my 1/4 scale Bede BD8 at a scale fly-in hosted by the Ponterfract club at their racecourse (superb) flying site. I forgot to mention in my earlier thread that the other Krier Kraft was owned by Turbycat.Hope to hear how he gets on with flying it,if it's anything like mine was,it'll be a superb flyer.........Mal