New to forum

Stan Waters

Hi all, this is my first post to this forum, I have benn a keen modeller for most of my life but have not done any for the past ten years. I am about to start up again so consider myself a "newby" as I will have to get used to the new bits and pieces available today.
I intend to start with a good old fashioned high wing trainer probably a vintage type,(like myself). I enjoy the building as much as the flying, and repairing!!.
I will need a bit of help I expect from you good folks so please be kind

Advert

Hi Stan,

and welcome to the friendly forum! No problem with advice here mate - lots of knowledgible folks on hand to see you through to that maiden flight and beyond!

Loads of people come back to modelling after a break, so don't feel you are unusual - I would guess 50% (or more!) of folks have a had a longish break in their modelling careers at some point.

One thing that will help - if you have not already done so - can you just have a quick read through the posts here which will tell you all about how to get the best from the forum; things like how to post links to other pages and insert pictures and videos etc.

Enjoy yourself - and welcome back to the best hobby in the world

BEB  

LOL - Tim never misses an opportunity to "spread the word" on his beloved electrics .

Well, you could do that, or...you could invest in nice 56 size four stroke - would sound great in a nice vintage jobbie. The better modern 4 strokes are not cheap - but they are very reliable ans easy to start etc.

I think one thing that will strike you on coming back to the hobby Stan is that there is so much more choice today than the used to be - and if you buy carefully its all good stuff, whether you go electric or glow.

BEB

Welcome Stan, things really have moved on a lot since my first time around at model aircraft. Mostly for the better. Ask away on here, there's no such thing as a stupid question and you can guarantee anything you ask will also help other people.

Welcome Stan.  I'd say BEB's 50% figure is a bit on the low side if anything.  Many, many people find their way back into the hobby after a few years break - I always reckon it's more an addiction than a hobby!

You haven't said whereabouts in the country you are, or where you intend to fly,  but I'd recommend if possible joining a club.  You'll get lots of useful help there, as well as somewhere to fly! 

And do ask questions here as well,  just be prepared for several - sometimes conflicting - answers!  Especially if you ask whether electric or i/c is best!

Hi Stan,

Welcome back to the hobby, if you intend to build your own trainer please see the thread "Trainer List" which I wrote some months ago listing all of the trainer kits which are available.

As an experienced modeller you should be able to build from plans too.

Happy Landings

Dave Davis

Hi Stan,

From  all that you say, it seems that you intend to go the traditional route (like you, I enjoy buildeing as much as flying. Why not start with a super sixty. I can lay the tranny down, and mine flies round free flight style. I don't lay it too far away, just in case.
Also a flair cub is a good build, and flies a treat.
A nice new four stroke would be a joy to run, and sound a treat
Welcome back

ernie

Hi Stan and welcome back to the hobby. Like many others  took a break from model flying to do the, "family thing" but came back after 30 years.

Back in the day when I started it was all IC engines but I've come back with an open mind and I've found that by following both the IC and electric routes I have a wider choice of planes, including my first EDF which I flew for the first time on Saturday and love it.

Whichever route you decide to go I'm sure you will have fun.

Happy flying

Thanks all for your kind words, I live in lincolnshire and I think there is a club in Boston so I will check it out.
I have been looking om the internet at the assortment of goodies out there, I still have a few bits and pieces including a very full set of tools and a very good workshop.
I parted with some i/c engines a while back thinking that they would not be used again. Never mind they were a bit ancient.