Elevators with 2 Servos

Ive been flying my Harmon Rocket all year with a Y lead joining both servos to the eithr side of the elevator,so any adjustment has been made on the push rods to have both sides equal an no problems.i took my Cap 232 to the field for a test flight with a bigger heavier engine.My expert refused to test fly it because I didnt have the 2 halves of the elevators set up on seperate channels.Now he is a real fuddy duddy whose opinions change like the weather.I only wanted a test flight to ensure it flies fine and the C of g is correct with the heavier engine,so to set my tranny up on 2 channels would be a one off and I havent yet firgured out how you do it.What is the opinion of you experts,Im happy with the set up on my Rocket and have found no problems

Advert

On elevators with two servos I always use a Y-lead - I find it more convienent and easier to set up. On ailerons I prefer separate channels because of the flexibility it gives on set up.

Another, less significant, factor is; while you can fly a plane on one aileron (not well maybe but you can do it) - you can't fly it on half an elevator (well I couldn't!). So while there is a marginal benefit in having some redundancy in the aileron system (two servos into two channels via two independent sets of wires) - there is no such advantage in the case of elevators.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/12/2010 23:51:59

Yes ross the Cap and Harmon Rocket both have 2 elevator servos.I wondered the advantage to this as opposed to one.Some of my models have one servo and 2 pushrods connected theat was on my Extra 300.Why is it difficult to control a model with only half the elevator working.I saw on collegue lose half his models elevator and it was fine.I suppose it depends what the not working half is up to

Well i suppose BEB answered the advantages of 2 servos.
I'm not really sure of the answer of why it is hard to fly with only one elevator, but i should imagine it would be something to do with the way it would react!
If only one elevator half moved, i would think it would then act more like an aileron movement and produce roll rather then pitch, or both at the same time!!
If i am wrong, i am sure someone will correct me!!

for what its worth. I use a smart-fly servo equalizer when using two elevator servos.
My reasons are , unlike a y lead the smart-fly allows for one lead to be used on two servos and these two servos can be adjusted just like on a radio channel.
Its great when problems occure with uneven movements of surfaces.
Check them out . google     smart-fly.com

I have been criticized for only using one elevator servo on some of my models, but I have never had a problem (reaches for the nearest bit of wood to touch!) The problem with two servos as BEB says is that depending on the position of the failed servo output when it fails you may not be able to control the model.  And also as Ross says depending on the model only moving half the elevator will introduce some roll.
A far better way is to use two servos via an arm connected ACROSS the outputs disc, the pushrod is connected at the mid point of the arm, that way if a servo fails you will still have half the throw available on both surfaces. Duncan Hutson shows this in one of his books.

I once built a .20 ic pylon racer, and in my wisdom only fitted one strip aileron to reduce drag. I only just got that down in one piece. When I turned left it shot up, and when I turned right it nose dived, impossible to handle

Cheers
Danny

I like twin servos on elevators, with a good trannie you can have tailevators set up so the two elevator halves can act as ailerons as well, this is great for control in torque rolls ie prop hanging. The two elevators are right in the prop wash  and give excellent roll control whist prop hanging 

I have to agree with Eric Bray on this one . A "Y" lead works well as long as the servos dont bounce . ( some servos bounce and have difficulty centering when fitted to a Y lead)  The kiss principle always worked  for me. Only add on's I'd recommend is possibly a servo reverser y lead so as to get a symetrical set up with identical movement on both halves of elevator and Plug locks or tied plugs so there is no pssibility of the lead coming unplugged . Was your test pilot afraid to test fly it and used this as an excuse ?

Posted by Danny Fenton on 09/12/2010 10:10:43:

A far better way is to use two servos via an arm connected ACROSS the outputs disc, the pushrod is connected at the mid point of the arm, that way if a servo fails you will still have half the throw available on both surfaces.

Cheers
Danny

I'm with this approach. It sounds like the only one where a failure would be 'graceful' and not assymetric.

One of our club members has a large Yak with a dual Rx setup (Rx1 = throttle, left aileron, left elevator. Rx2 = rudder,right aileron,right elevator)
On a recent flight He found the throttle control not working so had to fly round in circles with the engine on part throttle untill the fuel ran out. The model was still controllable, if a bit sluggish, and when the fuel finally ran out was able to land without dammage.
On checking the model He found that the battery lead to Rx1 had become disconected leaving only Rx2 in control.
From the above it can be seeen that Half an elevator still allows control and will not act as an aileron.
Obviously this applies mainly to models with dual Rx.
However some models use two servos on elevator due to the elevators being separate and not easy to link to a single servo (does that make sense?)

Edited By Mowerman on 11/12/2010 13:14:30