RR Merlin

Barry W

I saw this video on another forum and thought some folks may be interested in seeing it. It shows the RR factory where the Merlin engine s were made and a brief description of the manufacturing processes in the 1940s RR Engine

I have tried the method to inset a link for the first time as recommended by Timbo so I hope it works

Advert

Posted by Peter Miller on 21/12/2010 08:58:46:
I have been told that the Packard Merlin was actually better than the RR version!

Stand back and fit ear defenders for the screams of fury!

I'd heard that when Packard were approached by RR they were asked if they could produce the Merlin in the US. They (Packard) replied, "yes, but not at such loose tolerances"

...running for cover!

When i started work at Metro Vicks, it was commonly acknowledged that the "Ford" built Merlin engine was a better motor than the RR version. In that it was cheaper to make, and produced more power.

Ford apparently re-engineered the engine, in essence productionizing and introducing interchangeability that was limited from RR products at the time, relying on hand fitting to achieve acceptable  products.

This factory was taken over my Massey Ferguson, making farming machinery.

Now the "Trafford Centre" occupies part of the site.

I was always troubled that MV had to sell (Ministry of Supply dictat) to Armstrong Whitworths. This was to leave the way clear for both RR and AW to dominate the jet industry. Our jets were more powerful, fuel efficient than the then current RR jets. So is politics.

I have found this reference to Ford Merlins, not much considering the major contribution made.

There is also mention of the contribution by the Metro Vick company.

Yet it does not surprise me in some respects that popular fact, always seems to have some spin, the unglamourous are pushed to one side.

My old Dad worked at Napiers during the war, making the Sabre engine for the Typhoon. He said that when the shadow factory was set up, they had to wait 9 months for the machines to shipped over from the USA. What with Adolph regularly sending consignments to Davy Jones, it was a long time before they could get started. When they did, they had a lot of trouble maintaining tolerances because the machines were all old and worn out. It seems that the Americans shipped all their scrapped tooling over here under the Lend Lease arrangements.
 My Dad said that some of the milling machines were over 20 years old and they were supposed to be producing an engine that used no gaskets in its construction. He used to set his machine up, mill the engine block and if he needed to take off another 1or 2 thou, he hit the setting lever (which was locked up) with a hammer!

Perhaps some of those machines ended up at Rolls Royce, hence problems with tolerances.........

Edited By Mark Web Tech on 04/01/2011 10:13:01

It was generally accepted that the Parkard Merlins were substantially more oil tight then the RR versions.

Messy rather than a problem as the Merlin oil consumption was measured in gallons per hour anyway.

It was the way RR made their engine that was different to Packard.
As the video shows lots of hand finishing and fitting. The end result was just as good but not necessarily as fully interchangeable.

Simon

It was apparently the same with Ford as Packard.

Ford re-engineered fastening numbers to an optimal level with respect functionality and production issues.

Probably much more important, was that of manufacturing limits and fits. The Ford unit, was manufactured to achieve total interchangeability of all components without recourse to "fitting".

All of this resulted in a much more consistent engine performance.

What is so very surprising is how Fords major contribution to Merlin production, appears, to be all but forgotten. Not even reaching a foot note in history status.