PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Advert

Great day yesterday - big thanks to Phil et al for his usual splendid organisation. Very convivial meal last night, despite some unfortunate waffle kleptomania. As I woke up at silly o'clock I decided to write a Day 1 article for the LMMGA website. Sorry to reference other people's pictures but I didn't take any myself. You can read and digest here

**LINK**

Had a great weekend, learned lots more and met quite a few new people. smiley

Spent a lot of time watching and between the lack of wind and lack of confidence only managed 2 flights, both maidens, of the Vulcan and JP. Despite the JP being almost identical to Peter Garsden's in weight, throws and CoG it launched tail heavy and landed on the little shelf below where we were flying. Some donated lead stuffed up the nose and it was away and after a bit of trimming was soon howling away in the breeze!

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and tips even if you didn't think you were giving any, I was listening to every conversation I could! wink

I'm starting to think that the tales of great winds and booming lift on the Orme are a myth though! Second time out with the PSS guys there and both times light winds, too light to inspire confidence in a power flyer! Still, looking forward to my next outing and hopefully we can have a go at the bombing runs next time too!

My maidens of the weekend. Very happy with the outcome! laugh

20160417_164341.jpg

Very disappointed I couldn't get to The Orme this weekend. I'm a complete novice (I don't count the fact I used to fly 30 or so years ago) so I was looking forward to meeting up with some fliers to ask all those inane questions! I must admit I'm quite taken with the idea of PSS flying.

Hope to make to the Orme sometime.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Chris, it was nice to meet you.

You were very lucky with the JP landing on the ledge below, if it hadn't been there, 3 models would have ended up in the drink today crying But I'm glad you got it sorted and it was flying very nicely indeed.

I know what you mean about the Orme. This was my fourth visit and I have only managed to fly the westerly slope twice, in a light breeze, my other times have been on the N and NW slopes, which aren't the best, particularly for landing. So I've been wondering what all the fuss is about too. If you read the modelling press, the Orme is the Holy Grail of slope sites. Mmmm. Maybe I've just been unlucky so far.

I think it's about what you are used to. If you are used to flying on mediocre slopes, then the Orme will probably seem amazing.

Anyway, I come along for the fun and banter as much as the flying so it is worth the four hour drive for me and I always enjoy it.

I hope you will come along to the Bwlch in S Wales next month. I obviously can't guarantee booming lift, but these are my local slopes and I've had more excellent sessions than I have poor or mediocre ones.

Excellent event all round, I have spent a very enjoyable afternoon going through the pics. Great to meet most of the guys and certainly learnt a lot. A PSS model is now a must to add to my collection. Could not resist posting this pic of one of the two Tornado;s present witch flew superbly.

pss tornado 2.jpg

Mark great to meet you and your wife/s cake was delicious. Linds

What a great day and a wonderful start to the 30th Anniversary Year.

I was only able to make it for a 1 dayer this weekend but following an 0420 alarm call and getting to the Tank Track Carpark before they closed the road for the Cycling "Race"... Event!!!, I was able to enjoy a quick fly with the Wildthing on the favoured SW'ly slope.

Admittedly the day did start of with light winds but it soon built sufficiently to enable PSS models to be flown!

So, Thanks all. Great to see some regular faces and new ones alike.

Before I hit the hay for at least 10 hours.....!!!!! Here's a few pics I took!!

Dave

dsc09019.jpg

dsc09028.jpg

dsc09041.jpg

dsc09062.jpg

dsc09099.jpg

dsc09109.jpg

dsc09116.jpg

dsc09154.jpg

dsc09219.jpg

dsc09226.jpg

dsc09230.jpg

dsc09232.jpg

dsc09254.jpg

dsc09255.jpg

dsc09257.jpg

dsc09261.jpg

dsc09265.jpg

dsc09308.jpg

Thanks Again All.

Quick thanks to all who attended our season opening event, a great turn out to kick-start our 30th Anniversary year.

A huge amount of flying was achieved both days, at various locations on the Orme as we chased the lift round the corner from due North, North West, West and then South West. Those who were able to stay late last night found themselves enjoying the lift and sunset views in a 25mph SW wind on the most favoured slope. Awesome.

Congrats to the weekends winners;

Best Flown Prop - Hawker Hurricane - Matt Jones

Best Flown Jet - Panavia Tornado - Steve McLaren

Model of the weekend - Aermacchi MB339 - John Hey - awarded the Ron Collins Trophy

Ive a huge amount of photos to trawl through and Ill be back in touch soon with a write up for the PSSA site.

A great weekend as always and a real treat on Sunday night with the SW slope serving up limitless buttery smooth lift in a 25mph wind. Gorgeous.

I am now getting ready for the "after party", with yet more strong SW winds today, where the A10 should get away nicely.

Thankfully Timbo will be around so we shouldn't struggle with the launch!

Loads of photos to go through when I get back too, stay tuned for links

d

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 18/04/2016 08:10:35:

Posted by David Humphreys on 18/04/2016 00:11:13:

Great photos! Did anyone shoot any video?

Dave

I took quite a bit of video , so I shall be sitting down this evening with a cuppa and editing it into something that will hopefully be worth watching. Check out this space tomorrow or Wednesday.

Steve

Brilliant! Looking forward to watching.

Cheers

Dave

I only managed to attend on the Saturday and didn't get to maiden my SU27. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the day and it was great to spend time with like minded people.

There were some fantastic models on the hill, the highlight of the day for me was seeing two Vulcans flying in tight formation.

Thanks to all who attended, and to Phil for his organisation I will definitely be coming again.

I managed to fly the SU27 on Moel Famau on the Sunday before travelling home in the early afternoon. Two short flights with a little bit of easily repaired damage after landing. I was advised that the model needed a good blow to fly and it does; 20mph minimum!

Martin.

Glad everyone seemed to enjoy it - Steve mate yes u have just been unlucky to have not yet experienced the big rock at its best - believe me - it is a fabulous place and deservedly reputed to be in the top 3 coastal slope sites in uk. Theres a reason the top fliers like Andy Ellison and Simon Cocker use it a lot!
Just enjoyed some of that legendary lift with Andy Meade and the awesome A10 for a couple of hours this morning! Thanks for letting me have session on the sticks mate - shes a beaut 😄

I was hoping that was just the case Tim. I've flown St. Agnes a few times, (cracking slope), and Rhossili, (another cracking slope), so I'll be interested to see how the Orme compares when it's on song.

Andy Meade has visited the Bwlch a few times and I think he's having the same luck as me as I don't think he's experienced it when the wind is blowing properly.

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 18/04/2016 14:34:46:

I was hoping that was just the case Tim. I've flown St. Agnes a few times, (cracking slope), and Rhossili, (another cracking slope), so I'll be interested to see how the Orme compares when it's on song.

Andy Meade has visited the Bwlch a few times and I think he's having the same luck as me as I don't think he's experienced it when the wind is blowing properly.

Certainly on song today Steve, heading up later on, should stayed an extra day! See you down south someday, going to head up the Beacons for a fly this summer will let you know when.

Posted by Conwy Soarer on 18/04/2016 14:47:54:
Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 18/04/2016 14:34:46:

Certainly on song today Steve, heading up later on, should stayed an extra day! See you down south someday, going to head up the Beacons for a fly this summer will let you know when.

Jon - Yea let me know as a trip to the Beacons would be good. I have to arrange a trip, maybe for next month or June down to Cornwall so I'll be at St. Agnes again. And me and the boys from S Wales are planning a Rhosilli trip in August too.

Sorry to hear about your Mum Timbo. Have been through it myself so know how worrying it can be. Will be thinking of you. The best advice I got was not to try to be her social worker or carer and to get someone to do that for you, and remain her friend and confidant.

I have collected together all the photos posted on here, and some of my own and put them all in my Picassa Album which is also linked to the Leek Website page

These are the links

Picassa Album - https://picasaweb.google.com/116678726047203874411/PSSA_Meeting_April_2016#6274387302012351138

Leek Website Photo Gallery - **LINK**

Nice shots guys! Here are some of mine - I will stick all of them up on Flickr at some point and post a link.

img_3746.jpg

img_3853.jpg

img_3908.jpg

img_4061.jpg

img_4149.jpg

img_4209.jpg

img_4260.jpg

img_4317.jpg

img_4359.jpg

img_4454.jpg

img_4467.jpg

img_4588.jpg

img_4664.jpg

img_4760.jpg

Please stand by for today's Hog-Heavy-Zone :

img_4831.jpg

img_4937.jpg

img_4941.jpg

img_4955.jpg

img_4963.jpg

Today was really great with the A10 flying in a 28mph wind, and I'm sure she would go in lower too, which is great news as she can take part in more events yes