PSSA Gliding Events

Phil Cooke

Right, I've managed to book us a table for 12 SEATS in the Cottage Loaf for 8:15pm on Saturday night...

Market St, Llandudno LL30 2SR - the-cottageloaf.co.uk

I tried to book more, but their system wouldn't allow, suggesting they are now full inside - that said, if we need more seats folk can take a meal on the seated tables outside without the need to book, so I think we will scrape by... the nice lady also said we could probably sit 14 at the table we have booked inside if we needed to...

At least it gives us a plan for a meal and once we've eaten we will be able to mingle as a group indoors at the bar for a couple of real ales (hopefully after a full days flying) where we can discuss the best (and worst) landings of the day

Edited By Phil Cooke on 05/04/2017 15:24:03

The Afon Conway always has space guys - seem to remember parking under a cow and eating dinner sitting on someone's knee last year ( - was it a young boy - no it certainly wasn't was it Tim?) in Absersoch in a pub where they were so busy they were hanging out of the windows - you have all been warned.

Gents - a few people have asked about the bomb drop comp. If the weather sticks to the forecast, it looks like a GO for ordnance release on the Orme. I'll bring the target.

Usual rules apply though - if you intend on doing a bomb run, please ask a responsible pilot (i.e. not Matt) to be a spotter to make sure the target is clear, and that there are no walkers around. Note that ALL drops MUST be marshalled.

If the hill is extra busy, then we may have to call it off until later Saturday / early Sunday. You can have as many practice drops as you want, and we'll play it by ear as to when the competition is "on".  The bomb drop comp itself will  be in 1 or 2 dedicated slots of approx 30 minutes each, and as before we'll run a total score for (hopefully) a prize giving at the end of the year.

See you all Saturday yes

Edited By Andy Meade on 06/04/2017 10:27:06

Morning all. Cottage loaf is v popular, and food generally good, we locals use it a lot. Its not a big place ( clue's in the name ) but its right next to the rear of wetherspoons, so we could always use that as a back up LOL

Weather as I stand here in tghe garage fettling and checking the fleet is very overcast and without much wind - we are promised by the forecasters a very warm sunny weekend, but it aint arrived yet ! Saturday looks a very light day, but Sunday looks very promising in all respects.

See you guys there smiley

On our way to Conwy Holiday Park with the caravan for a long family weekend. Vicky & the kids will be going into Llandudno via the tram tomorrow and might even get them to spend some time on the hill on Sunday! Hope so as I might need some sherpas to carry my gear!

See you all tomorrow. laugh

A huge thanks to all who travelled and took part in the opening PSSA event of the 2017 season...a well attended gathering on The Gt Orme with a mass of models on show - some old, many new!  They included this stunning 80" span, 13lb AUW P-51D Mustang by Matt Jones - who flew it many times on its first outing!

matts mustang forum.jpg

It was a weekend of two halves really, with high pressure dominating Saturday to the extent of insufficient winds and a continually varying direction! Those on site entertained themselves and the picnicking spectators with the usual array of 'back up' DLGs and electric powered models...

We had a cracking night on Saturday at 'The Cottage Loaf' in town where 15 of us met for a lovely meal and a few real ales followed by some 'sight seeing' in Weatherspoons disgust

On Sunday the winds arrived as forecast and after a superb morning blessed with both booming lift and sunshine we were hampered a little by a low hanging sea mist which reduced the air temperature to something re-approaching winter slope conditions!! A big shock to the system following the sunbathing we enjoyed the day before!

We flew on all day breaking only for a short presentation where prizes were awarded in the usual flight categories, when those who could returned to the slope and stayed on to fly until about 7pm when the cold finally got the better of us...

A great weekend despite our PSS flying being limited to Sunday only... If you have any more photos you'd like to share from the meet we'd love to see them here!

A reminder - our next event is planned for Sunday 7th May on the Long Mynd, Shropshire - more details HERE.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 10/04/2017 19:11:17