I bought a dinky little motor M1406/16 from GC and fitted into an indoor “Introvert” having first bench tested it with 5x3 prop(sourced a 1.5mm propo adapter from Robot Birds) 2s lipo and 10A ESC (all from GC). It failed on the maiden flight and would not run at all. I returned it to GC with a covering letter, and was delighted when a few days later a replacement motor arrived in the post from GC. Proceeded to test the new motor as before! It was tight, but did turn, in addition there were solder blobs on the leads which seemed to indicate that this motor had been connected before. As soon as connected and began to run the armature floated free of the end bearing and would have come right out! I returned the motor to GC with another covering letter in the confidence that it would be replaced as before. WRONG! GC said that their “tester” had examined the motor, and that it had been damaged by me. After exchanging several emails with GC I still have not received a replacement for the second motor which was clearly already damaged – and used!>>

Bad service GC to a good customer! Alternative motor sourced elsewhere thankyou!>>

Advert

I had a similar thing with a small outrunner. During its first flight, after about ten seconds of running there was a click and the motor just stopped.
Luckily I was able to land safely. When I looked, there were about twelve of the fourteen magnets that had come unglued jammed against the stator.

So I sent it back to Giant Cod and after a good few days they sent me another. Which is OK, but in their letter it said 'Our engineer has examined the motor and as it has not been in a crash we will replace it.'
So, I wondered what would have happened if the defect had caused a crash, bent the shaft or scraped the outside of the motor. Not very satisfactory.

May I suggest the personal touch? I have found it's always best to make a phone call to talk through problems before resorting to email, all kinds of misinterpretation is applied to the written word especially when written by the common man. If you have to resort to "good will" you may find your mileage increases over the phone.

I must add that I have had no dealings with giant cod specifically. Thanks for flagging up a less than scrupulous internet trader.

You do raise an interesting point on where the consumer stands in relation to goods and services bought and their fitness for purpose.

I've been very happy with the service and products - they've made the hobby much more affordable for many people.

They were last year's winners of the RCM&E Mail Order category and are probably well in the running this year, so they must be pleasing some customers...........

Pete

Posted by Keiran Arnold on 12/02/2011 00:58:56:
Remember guys a company is only as good as its last delivery: so if it fails the last consumer are you next?
That is a pretty harsh line to take as we all make mistakes and even more so if you are a business as many other's i.e. your suppliers , delivery companies etc are extensions of your business.

Don't forget there are alot more rogue customers than rogue traders out there. Innocent customers can easily fall into being treated like rogues as good traders try to protect themselves (as the law leans towards supporting the customer). The personal touch, ringing up as rActive above suggests gives you the best chance to either get the response you want, or to realise you are dealing with people you don't want to trade with again.

I reckon GC are tough but fair.

With their prices this is a position I will accept.

For a little more money you could use Robotbirds. I like these chaps because if you blow anything up they do a thorough analysis.

Most posts here point out its a balance. I've blown up two motors on a Panic, one GC and one Robots birds. The underlying problem was the ESC, GC didn't replace the motor but Robotbirds did - I bought the replacement ESC from Robotbirds just because of their analysis.

I recently wrecked 2 servos before my AddX was even maidened, again Robotbirds replaced them (and then I wrecked them again - this time I decided the recommended servos for the AddX were wrong).

I made clear notes about where I think I went wrong and why it would be acceptable to charge me for replacements -- slightly off topic but what I'm getting at is that we should be good customers as well.

I like GC a lot, and I accept that they state their policies and see them through.

• 1 month later...