Hi, I'm just starting to build a Ben Buckle Galahad and the plans indicate 5" dihedral at the wing tips. For those not familiar with the plane it has no ailerons.

I know what dihedral is but what does it do? Has anyone a simple explanation please? Also, what would be the effect if I were to reduce the amount of dihedral? Just curious as I intend to build to plan.

Advert

It gives the plane some automatic stability and is needed to convert the yaw induced by the rudder into a banking manoever rather than just a yawing / skidding move. Reducing the dihedral would therefore make the plane less stable and make it yaw in turns rather than bank.

Edited By Ben B on 16/06/2011 16:23:51

Dihedral is a way of overcoming a too high centre of gravity above the centre of lift .The lower the wing (for stability -hands off your Tx) the more dihedral you need . ie Cherokee etc . That is to say that the lift due to the A/c design must always  be above the vertical component of the C of G to be able to fly hands off (free flight).

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 16/06/2011 17:39:08

Alan,
The Galahad is a great model to fly as long as you stick to the dihedral stated on the plan.
As Myron stated the CG should be below the centre of lift for the rudder to be effective as a roll component. If the dihedral were to be reduced below then ailerons would be needed as the rudder would just yaw the model round.

Rich

Basically, dihedral gives you "wing levelling" stability. If a disturbance causes a roll - one wing low - dihedral effect will cause the plane to regain roll stability and level the wings.

It does this because the rolling of the wings causes a slide slip in the direction of the low wing. This side slip causes the lower wing to present at a greater angle of attack than the high wing - thus the low wing creates more lift and so rises to level out the original roll disturbance.

Too much dihedral causes a Dutch Roll effect - too little and you get neutral stability in roll.

Wikipedia has a very easy to follow explanation.

Posted by AlanC on 17/06/2011 10:22:52:
Many thanks for all the replies and the explanations of dihedral. As usual the forum comes up trumps again!

Now am I AlanC or Alan C? I've heard of split personality disorders, I think I'm suffering one now.

LOL - As the longer serving of the two Alans..... you stay put AlanC

Anhedral makes a plane unstable. Some modern fighters deliberately have anhedral so the plane is fundamentally unstable and then they stabilise it with gryo type electrical trickery. The advantage of having an artificially stabilised unstable plane is that you can do very rapid rolls etc due to the lack of self-stabilising forces.