full size crash at duxford flying legends

Alan Cantwell

Advert

Hi,
The P51 Big Beautiful Doll was sold to a German concern last January and re registered D-FBBD. It was being flown at Flying Ledgends by the previous owner who is one of the most well practiced P51 pilots in the UK. It appears that he was flying lead in the final run and break, and the Skyraider for whatever reason flew in to him. I'm sure it was quick reactions and well rehearsed emergency procedures that saved the day. I understand the pilot is shaken and bruised and has a severe sense of humour failure.

Ady

Kelvin, why was it pulled and what does that mean? I thought it was a great video when I watched it earlier. Thanx for sharing it with us

Tom

Hi Tom,

Not a clue

For the folks who missed it. the tail of the Mustang was hit by the wing of the Skyraider ,the Mustangs canopy was jettisoned quite soon after,it flew on for a short time then entered a steep terminal dive, the Pilot exiting the aircraft quite late,very dramatic stuff .

Glad they are both OK .

I think I've found the same video here.

I've had to use a normal link as embedding has been disabled for this video.

I'll leave it to the AAIB but it seems to me that BBD did not continue to turn tight enough after breaking. The earlier flights show even spacing between the a/c and the pilots continue the turn to downwind.

Pete

The pilot Rob Davis hosted the GBR/CAA World cup/ sebart cup back in may at woodchurch airfield in kent, he is also the previous owner of big beautiful doll. Its such a shame to loose a mustang forever, i hope this dosnt put him off flying as he is a brillaint pilot (as you would have seen if you were at the world cup event).

Posted by Peter Miller on 11/07/2011 08:23:04:
A friend who was there said that it was a Fokker TRIPLANE that ended up on its nose.

"Usually reliable" sources tell me the Swedish DR.1 replica was hit by propwash from some big warbirds, on its landing. But that is not official.

Edited By perttime on 20/07/2011 20:50:07