Are you or will you be building from a traditional kit or plan?

I'm sort of messing round with a Sterling plan for the D VII. I didn't like the fuselage half shell construction (and the extra two side stringers) so that got modified to the traditional box with cross members. Then the wings looked too thin in section - so out go the ribs (to be replaced with thicker sectioned undercambered ones - double up in number and using half the balsa thickness). Oh and a 'thread' trailing edge as per the original (instead of that scalloped balsa one).

So - is it a plan or is it Own Design (or a bit of both) ? laugh

Eventually - 4 channel (with ailerons) - now whether or not it will actually fly remains to be seen, but to me most of the fun is in the building

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 26/04/2012 21:22:55

• 1 month later...

Just got a plan for the Veron Impala off Ebay. I had one of these as my first RC plane for my 13th birthday in 1981 & taught myself to fly the hardway. Unfortunately I totalled the Impala before fully mastering it. So this is to put that ghost to rest.

Having just sort of perfected a hot wire cutter contraption I plan to have a go at making it as a foamie, partly in the hope that it will bounce better than the trad build one did

Currently finishing Sharkface, after that queue gets longer and longer... Sandow, Sawdust, Mini Tyro to cover, Tauri, Bazz Bomb, Super Mini... Mainly vintage stuff - to gain some practice, and after that, think it's gonna be this year, some warbird, like JU-87 or P-11C - these would make ideal winter project.

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately I could not be put into one category and that will be the case for many I am rebuilding a sport scale Rearwin Speedster from magazine plan and a 1/6th scale cub from a full kit a Wonder from full kit and an Me 109 slope soarer modified to a Buchon with a 25 magnum engine, along with some home brew beer, feeding the dogs wife and kids, growing some veggies and wiping my backs/de i may make it to the field.

Posted by savedbytheground on 07/11/2012 08:28:48:

Midway through a Precedent 1/3 scale Turbulent, all the woodwork done and I've got loads and loads of spare bits of liteply, ply and balsa leftover... Bonus

Yep, I'm half way through a SLEC (ex Precedent) FunFly and the same thing, lots of useful sized bits of liteply and balsa leftovers.

No preference really, artf, plan or kit, althought during winter I build from kit or plan. Felt inspired from the mass build short list to build the Whizzza. Plan arrived, off to Balsa Cabin for wood, build very quick when only using sheet balsa. A very good half term week off work building from plan.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I constantly think about building something. And they say it's the thought that counts, right? Hmm, once I have flown and 'tested' the durability of my Easy Pigeon, I may gain confidence in balsa. But everything I've built so far has been foamboard stuff.

So I had to vote, "Perhaps, If the right plan comes along."

Edited By Chuck Plains on 15/05/2013 21:18:31

• 5 months later...
Posted by john stones 1 on 13/11/2013 16:46:52:

I love artf's had loads of great ones, its not easy to find decent kits now though

I'll agree. It isn't just a case of going to the LMS any more, but there are lots of them still out there. Flair, DB Models, Mick Reeves, to name but 3 and that is not including the availability of "short" kits. Many of which are produced from old kit plans. You can also get your own kit made up by several kit cutters, from your own supplied plan.

kevinb.

Never built from a kit. OD and plan only. If an ARTF takes my fancy? I'll buy it! Was far too busy flying to build or carry out major repairs during our excellent summer, so currently catching up on these before committing to my next project which will be my RCME winter build for Greenacres 2014. My workspace is a total mess though, tidying required before anything.