Are you or will you be building from a traditional kit or plan?

Tricky one that as I seem to fit into multiple catagories, but yes designing my own is probably my main vote as have just completed one another in cutting out bits stage and another in very preliminary drawing, plus a couple of ARTF jobies on the go! It pays to have a large workshop and understanding wife!
Linds

I'm about to start building a fuselage, from a plan, to replace one for a kit built Great Planes Big Stik that is now available ARTF. What category does that go in?

Current build is my scaled up Webbit 52 (inches wingspan). Half built is my Little Toot (Dennis Tapsfield plan). Kits lined up are a Replikit 'Aesop', in other words a r/c assist 'Popsie' and the Nijhuis 'Lizzie'.

Finished earlier this year; sport/scale DH 80a PussMoth, Webbit and a new wing for my Ronde Loper.

Must builds include 61" Fairy Firefly, I have the plans canopy and cowls. Tony Dowdeswell's FAI Mustang, a scaled up version of Laurie Ellis's 'Javelan' an r/c assist version of 'Windy Ain't It' that I built all those years ago and flew (ff) like a dream and Peter Miller's 'Miss Lizzie'.

Hopefully, an o/d will be an r/c version of my own c/l stunter 'Naiad' conceived in 1960.

I've been trying to learn to fly r/c for three years now, all on ARTF'S. My own Arising Star, sadly totalled on Good Friday after fifty flights, now on a Jumper 25. At the R.C.Hotel in Corfu (great place) it was a 'Ready', I liked it. I also have a 'Wot Trainer' unflown. Scratch built models include DB's Sky Rider (flown but not by me), Peter Miller's CAP 21, also his 'Big Ship' and an own design low wing trainer I call 'Merrimog' It is based on Duncan Hutson's 'Fun Tiger' (geddit) so it has a reasonable chance of being flyable.

When I can't get out flying, which is too often, I build, actually quite slowly. I have some artf's in mind, like a 'Wot 4' of some sort and a Granville Racer, the smaller one. but cannot justify them yet.

Enough for now. Alan.

The poll could do with being multiple choice realy.

I've got a ruck of projects on the go, as usual, - mostly refurbishments of models that have already flown, plus a few in progress long term kit builds and a couple of ARTFs that have yet to be maidened. The next for the assembly line is an E-Flie PT-19, which is supposed to be doable in about five hours. Yeah, riiiiight.......

However, I've also cleared the bench and made a bit of space with the intention to start a traditional kit build and take it through to completion over the autumn. The toss up is between a Global Birdie Ten and a Ben Buckle Mini Super, to replace those models lost in the past.

Too busy to make a start on those just at the moment, but it's planned for the autumn. It's several years since I last built a kit and the fleet is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Once I finish the rebuild/re-design of various aspects/detailing of my 1/4 scale Cub I'm planning to design/build a replacement set of wings to add retracts and flaps to a Cambrian Mooney201.

I was given the model by a clubmate after he lost interest after someone at another club landed a trainer on it (it now features on the Cambrian site after a very speculative enquiry for a replacement canopy revealed they were just going back into production and had no pictures of a finished one!) which is a surprisingly capable semi-aerobatic model but looks a picture in the air from a scale point of view and the "reversed" fin makes it stand out a bit from other models. The kit wings are foam and I'm not a fan of retracts in foam wings.

Incidentally, although I didn't build it I would think the kit would be a good first or second build....

Edited By Martin Harris on 22/07/2011 12:00:23

I have 'built` an ARTF Wot4 I now have a sig four star 60 kit waiting to be built (my first low winger)
I do plan to build from kits in the future maybe even tackle a plan build, as the building is part of the fun for me.

Dean

For me like many, its a time issue. I am a trad builder but suffer ARTF so that I can get back in the sky quickly. Having said that, even my ARTF builds are considered slow by club mates as I prefer to 'improve' the basic ARTF by small (but to me significant) modifications.
Approaching retirement (but very active) I am looking to get back to trad building as well as ARTF they compliment each other!

I'm not sure what to vote for, I have built one where I have drawn all my own planes but never have finished to because I got told that I should learn to fly first. I brought a Trainer plane and now am having some lessons. I think I'm going to vote for................................................................

Tom

Trickey one really,
I think most have done all of the choices or will be.
For me there is nothing like designing, building and flying your own creation. There is a buzz when it takes to the air for the very first time.
This buzz is never there when taking an ARTF aircraft up, crash one of these and it is just money lost. Crash an OD and I'm gutted.
A lot of the older guys up at the field are now into ARTF's, they have all built models in the past but find it easier to go down this route which is great.

Rich

Could not agree more Rich ,i went through a phase of building (putting together ) ARTF stuff ,and soon realised there was something missing .
The satisfaction and fun gained from designing and flying even the simplest model out weighs the response from a £300 ARTF model .
For the guys who have been there and done it all ,a return to "grass roots" and simple projects can be refreshing, but i can see the appeal of a modern ARTF to the chaps who are getting on a bit ,and have spent years building from plans.
There is another aspect to all this ,when it comes to the long project scale builder that does not fly much ,or the busy people that for various reasons don't get to fly much,perhaps more flying practice should be the main priority.
Tom.