Are you or will you be building from a traditional kit or plan?

Currently building a capiche 50. Will be building a flair se5a as a winter project.

Steve

What might be interesting is if people put there age on the replies. I am 35 and am probably quite young compared to many traditional builders. It would be a good indication of new blood coming onto the traditional side of things.

I mainly assemble artfs, but I do have the wings and tail of an 80" artf Cub knocking about after a mishap! I might just have to build a fun plane using these remnants and a built up fuselage. Just got to decide on the style and do some drawings. Might be a winter project tho'.

Andy

I guess as with many things the survey is a compromise.

At present I am finishing of two home designs.

When they are complete I do intend building from a kit I have.

I have a large number of plans, which I also intend building from. At the moment the PM Faunier is at the top of the list.

If I have had an ARTF, (very few ), then I have generally refinished them to make them a bit more of an individual model.
To be honest though, I have a reasonable fleet in the hanger and so long as I have something to fly, I think it unlikely that another ARTF will get in there. i have come to think that the build quality is pretty poor and that they (in general) are not a very good deal. They always look fantastic but rarely last long before starting to fall apart.

By and large, Plan builds for me
stu k

Own design Hawker P1091 EDF. Forward fuselage from West Wings Hunter parts, I drew the rest in ACAD and cut on a CNC router.

Also doing an old Viggen kit that was designed for an OS91VRF and Dynamax fan, b ut with a Stumax 110-52 EDF running on 12S Lipos.

Pete

I get much more satisfaction from building or renovating eBay purchases than I ever do from assembling ARTFs.

As well as building a vintage model off a plan, I'm currently restoring a Magnatilla and repairing my Acrowot. (I reversed the car over that one!)

Over the winter I am planning to build a Fokker DVII from a kit which I bought at an aeromodelling auction in Exeter, years ago. This kit features dowel longerons to replicate the original's steel tube framework. I'm planning to replace the wooden dowel with carbon fibre tube.

I am 63 years old. One of the old brigade.

I notice that several lads in their teens take up the hobby, then discover girls or clear off to university or both! That's all very fine and natural. I went through a similar process and came back to aeromodelling in my forties. My question is, "Will the current crop of young fliers who have learned on ARTFs, take up building models, as opposed to assembling ARTFs when they return to return to the hobby in thirty years time?

Edited By David Davis Telemaster Sales UK on 23/07/2011 05:18:23

Mini-Panic and Mini-Moronic......winter "boot of car" hacks....................both getting 350 watts or so, power and lightness.

Wife's taking eldest Grandkid to the beach this week, and I don't "do" beaches any longer, so, lots of flying and building time.............................

Be the first balsa builds for 30 plus years, having been into EPP as far as builds inc a lot of own designs, and ARTF otherwise. IC fixed wing balsa fleet currently Cougar, Twist 40, Panic, 26cc Edge............is there a pattern.................??

Currently Flying the following:

H9 Pulse XT40 (ARTF)
SIG Shoestring (C/L Kit converted to EP RC)
Glens CAP 232 (Kit)

Currently building:

Mick Reeves 1/4 scale Fournier RF4 (Kit)
Great Planes Revolver 61 (ARTF)

Also have stored in the UK kit built Galaxy Magician, Balsa USA Britsol M1 and a ARTF Overlander Yak 54 50E.

So I have a split personality when it comes to kits or ARTFs; I like both for different reasons.

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 24/07/2011 23:29:06

i am too heavy handed with the glue so i buy alot of second hand but i do my own repairs and when it gets too heavy i just put a bigger engine in it
MORE POWER

As Heli's don't usually get built from scratch, I started my plane journey with a ARTF Cessna, then an E-flite ARTF Extra..
But when my 4ch Minium packed up, I decided to have a go at a Guillows kit, intending to fit the minium gear.. That didn't fly very well (far too heavy), but gave me an idea how to handle and glue wood..
I then build the Tailwind and loved it... So much so, I built a Depron profile straight after and haven't looked back...
I can't deny that i'm loving Depron at the mo, but i'm sure another wood build will come along..
I'm currently making a Depron Bipe...

I also found a new love for TISSUE n DOPE... I didn't see that coming..!!

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

i'm busy repainting an 'alula' i've bought to look like a bird......... having problems getting the beak to look right ....had a few not very flattering comments from her indoors and even 'enrico'.....who's 'beak' i modelled it on.......photo's will follow in the next couple of day's so everyone can have a laugh......... ... at my expense ...

ken anderson ne..1 beak remodelling dept.

• 3 weeks later...
Only fly RTF / ARTF Have seen too many peeps take a lovingly built balsa plane that took months even years to build and watched them crash on maiden and take it home in a crisp packet LOL They are beautiful to look at but too delicate given some of the more robust materials available today!