Al-Qeada RC plane bomb plot

Richard Harris

Advert

I read it in the Telegraph this morning.....they showed a picture of a EDF foamy jet...a Sabre I think it was....& said the guy planned to "pack it full of explosives"

So I thought well thats OK then 'cos he'll only get a few ounces in before the thing will be too heavy to take off.... Personally I think he'd be better off using a Super 60 or such like...he'd get a much bigger payload......

He claims that Allah was guiding him but it seems Allah doesn't know much about R/C....for which I suppose we should all be greatful.....

On a more serious note though it does make me wonder why this hasn't been considered by the nutters who want to further their aims by blowing things up.....a model packed with explosives could reach some pretty secure places very quickly & whilst not causing much damage would create massive publicity.....a pound of Semtex in an electric aerobat launched just outside Buckingham Palace would be over the fence & up to the buildng in no time.....on board detonater & BOOM!!!!

Headlines around the world & the Daily Mail in meltdown with a BAN THESE KILLER MODELS campaign....

Makes you think eh!!

As if we don't have enough problems keeping noise levels down even complying with regulations ! Maybe we should stop being constructive , all buy simulators or war games and spend our days practicing destroying virtual enemies.That's what kids do now isn't it? Maybe be a full-time football "supporter" to be able to join the masses with a belly full of lager 'who like aggro as well?
Now you know why I call myself "Grumpy" Yes Steve -It really makes you think.No wonder programmes like Not the 9 o'clock news is watched by so many .'cos the discussions & comments are closer to reality than the stuff you would find in any tabloid (the biggest circulation numbers of all news papers I believe)

ye i wonder if allah has done his A test or if he needs someone on the buddy lead lol.
I think Prof Burton should come up with an example of why it wouldnt work in next months mag, with relation to wing loadings, CoG etc so we can all show the idiots that believe it why it was such a stupid idea by some crackpot without a clue

Would be funny if he tried, then stalled and went off next to him.

Idiot.

Can't these "people" do something constructive for once, enjoy themselves and make a contribution to worldwide progress, not keep killing themselves and other people.

"People", I mean "them", which I can't say derogatory comments on a public place...

oh dear.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 29/09/2011 19:43:49

It is very tempting to see the news item as amusing, and that the reporting is in some ways not on the money.

I personally would rather not read of anybody attempting or misusing model aircraft in the way attempted. I do believe that a practical device can easily be constructed and used, particularly if FPV was to be used.

This is potentially bad news for modelling and the quicker it leaves the newspapers and the consciousness of these individuals and groups the better.

I fail to see the link between this reprehensible plot and a sneering reference to football "supporters" (why the quotes?), excessive drinking and a love of violence.

Can I suggest this blatent ignorant stereotyping is just as lazy and insulting to many as any other type. I am completely at a loss as to it's relevance to the thread.

I agree with Bob on the shoe bit, if we banned or "regulated" which is another word for it.... well sort of..... everything that would in some guise pose a threat to our security then we'd be back in the dark ages.

Anyone with a simple amount of knowledge can buy simple balsa or pipe lagging and knock up a model aircraft, try and regulate that!

It will blow over soon i'm sure.

What the media and the world should focus on is how to stop all this futile death and destruction then we wouldnt need to be worried about items intended for fun being used for destruction.

The world today is a shambles, at home and abroad and unless some hardline changes are made and i mean "made" not just talked about things will just go on and on.

Anyway, i'm off back under my rock.......... i could type about this sort of thing till i am left with bloodied stumps it winds me up that much.

Guys can we just keep in mind that this was one isolated "nutty" individual. Not a whole social or religous group. So let's keep the conversation around the news story, avoid stereotypes and keep in mind that that is a pretty poor quality piece of journalism in the first place!

Thanks

BEB

no way should this have ever been allowed, did he have insurance?? i think even the AMA insurance people would look dimly on exploxsives in a model, could this be a new event in the BMFA heavy lift challenge?? where you get awarded bonus points for style, does the pilot have to commit harri karri afterwards?? and if this system of delivery works can we trial it out on James Blunt please???

on a serious note, there will allways be idiots and extreamists out there, but we can not let them worry us too much, we just have to get on with our relatively free and un oppressed existance and not get too carried away when something like this happens

Any RC model would have bounced of a building or even the glass reinforced windows as found in skyscrapers, so with the small amount of expolisives, and the actual explosion if it went off in the first place, would have caused very little damage and exploded outside, though I do appreciate it could have been still a serious life threatening attempt.

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 30/09/2011 11:36:21

I'm not sure what has depressed me the most about this story....the fact that a nutter was trying to use a model aeroplane to injure people & property or the appallingly inaccurate way it has been reported. Most people will read the reports & accept them as fact at face value.....because we know better we can see the inaccuracies, contradictions & just plain wrong comments made.

Now...suppose this was a story about something we know nothing about...Aardvaark Hurling or such like....you'd accept what was written as accurate & factual wouldn't you?

Journalism has such power to influence peoples opinions. I am saddened when I see such power used so carelessly......

Not the first time terroists have hi jacked the hobby.

I remember years ago, lets say 35 to maintian my modesty (OK 41), flying was allowed on Blandford camp in Dorset. I was about 8-9 at the time and we would go to a dog training day every week or so. I would wander off to the top of the hill where they would fly.

My recollaction is that it was stopped because it was seen as a security threat as the IRA would use the same RC equipment to set bombs off.

A

funny you should mention that, remember the brighton bombings? that very week, i had my car broken into, and 3 radios and a model nicked, reported it to the police, i kid you not, 3 mins went by, and i had 5 police cars outside, with blues-a-flashing, seems the radio was indeed being used to set off bombs by the IRA, it was about 5 in the morning when i got the all clear to go to bed, wife was--not amused

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 29/09/2011 17:25:59:
all buy simulators or war games and spend our days practicing destroying virtual enemies.That's what kids do now isn't it? 

I don't play video games. I think its a waste of time, i might play the occasional Forza 3 (race game) if the weather is really bad and i have nothing else to do but apart from that i don't. Modelling (thankfully) is a very time consuming hobby. :P............................that is all ')

Tom

Edited By Tom is RC mad! on 01/10/2011 07:57:46

Edited By Tom is RC mad! on 01/10/2011 07:58:52