Feeling brave enough to fly the e-volo?

What a waste - think about the number of nice planes you could power with all these nice outrunners and batteries....

Actually the frame showed some kind of vibration s and torsion, I would not like to go on that (also for my weight class you need to install a few power units more...)
Cheers VA

I suppose the challenge is building redundancy into the system. Having so many motors is a good start (with quads if one motor dies you're in big trouble) but you would still have to have one ECU controlling the ESCs. If you had two independant ECUs they'd fight each other. You'ld probably need a system whereby there are two ECUs but the output of the first inhibits the second as soon as the 2nd ECU detects a failure of the 1st ECU it takes over. Something like a watchdog timer reset in effect.

Then again for hovering a meter off the ground redundancy isn't so important. But certainly for anything higher I'd want back-up, I don't think multicopters autorotate that well- certainly not with any control!

Or perhaps that's why the gym ball is for It would be like trying to land Tigger on a pogostick

We all know the dangers of standing in front of a model with a rotating prop or to the side, looks like he he sat in a prime target position if one of those props decides to let go

Despite that, an interesting and very brave concept, thanks for posting the video David made me chuckle.

I hope he's not using Spektrum radio gear!

Ok, I will go and hide under the kitchen table!

Long live the Space Hopper!!

Rich

Posted by Erfolg on 02/11/2011 10:56:17:
Was budget equipment used?

I guess that it was 2.4 set?

Would it not be better to have a hard wired control system rather than radio?

At least he has no range issues.....................

Impressive first step as to what may be possible in the future ! -

hold on a minute - I'm in the UK, there be red tape all over this sort of idea here, with licensing and tax to follow - you bet , not to mention the health & safety police !

Good on these pioneering folk !

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 02/11/2011 14:34:35

It's certainly impressive, and hats off to them for doing it. But practical? No!

As already stated, there is no redundancy in the thing at all. With a conventional plane, when (not "if"!) the motor fails, you can glide down, with full use of the controls, to a safe landing. Same with a helicopter - autorotating. At least as long as you keep out of the "dead mans curve" ie. low and slow. But with this... Both lift and control come through the motors and electronics. A simple failure will have you plummeting out of the sky faster than a very fast thing...

I have a secret urge to build a proper light aircraft powered by our hobby electrics and controled with a 2.4 tx but as Rich said not specy .
An airframe weght of 150 lbs is easy to acheve thats a power requirement of 15 kw (could get away with less) may be 10kw 13-15 hp ....bring it on .
As others have said the prop danger and extreme power to lift the machine in the video is not a very economical use of energy, and no back up if things go wrong.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...