Ebay sellers...

Advert

I am usually very tolerant of eBay sellers, as I sometimes list things for a pittance before I take them to the recycling dump (surely someone wants a 350w PSU for 99p?),but to list something which is potentially dangerous and not working (a Lipo for parts or not working!) really takes the biscuit!

Posted by John Privett on 27/04/2015 21:46:37:
Posted by Andy48 on 27/04/2015 19:06:56:

Condition advertised as "for parts or not working.

Anyone fancy a 4S 2200mah lipo for £10 plus £3 postage?

**LINK**

When my old LiPos are no longer 'up to the job' I retire them from flying duties and just use them to power the heated LiPo bag. To avoid accidentally trying to use one of them in a model I wrap a strip of black insulating tape around them. It looks like this seller does the same!

So it's you John

Posted by Peter Miller on 28/04/2015 10:47:44:

When I have a wrecked model I take it out and burn it.

May be I should stuff it all in a bin liner and list it on Ebay as "For parts or not working!!

Why not have the best of both worlds? Burn it, rake out the metal fittings from the ashes, and then sell on Ebay as "For parts or not working!!

A GOOD EBAY BUY FOR A CHANGE

Dave Smith Panther Incl-

OS40 Max FP

5 X Hitec servos

New JP EnErG 1300mah nimh

Won for only £22.01 smiley (The battery alone is nearly worth half of that)

Won at 10.30am and collected at 4.00pm, Spent all evening going over it and really it's only needed a good clean, some re ironing and a servo lead soldered. I need to sort some wing elastic bands as I haven't got any and also get an APC prop and then do final checks including C of G (Anyone know where that should be?) before my first flight yes

baz

panther

Edited By brfc7 on 29/04/2015 22:16:07

Posted by John Privett on 29/04/2015 22:47:18:
Posted by brfc7 on 29/04/2015 22:38:20:

Also thinking about an APC 11x4 ????????????

Should be about right. That's what I had on my Limbo Dancer with Irvine 36.

In fact that's the model you can (just!) see at the top-left of my avatar pic!

What about a 10x4? Would I see a major difference between the 10x4 and 11x4? Just my local shop doesn't stock the 11x4 and for some reason it is nearly double the price of the 11x4 when buying online. Do I try a 10x5?

baz

Edited By brfc7 on 30/04/2015 00:34:33

Posted by ted hughes on 27/04/2015 07:30:44:
Posted by Stevo on 25/04/2015 12:56:27:

Now I wanted one of these so bad as a kid. From what I remember, I had some form of FROG low winger with an Cox 049 engine that never started... Could anyone enlighten me?

I'm betting that will get close to £500.A couple of years ago I'd have had a punt at it myself! What price nostalgia?

£220 with 12 hours to go! Wonder how close to £500 it gets-it will probably stop around £300..

Posted by Peter Miller on 30/04/2015 08:22:48:
May I suggest 25% chord for the first flights. The tailplane is small. You can always move it back later.

Going to try 33% of chord as at 25% I think it will be way too tail heavy

baz

Edited By brfc7 on 30/04/2015 22:13:39

Baz, you've got it back to front mate. 33% is far more tail heavy than 25%. You work at mean chord from the leading edge backwards. 33% is typical of what you'd use for a free-flight power model, but for a typical tractor monoplane or biplane with radio, 25% (1/4 mean chord) is generally a good starting point. Peter's recommendation for that model is right. Go back to 1/3 mean chord and you will be reaching for the sky and shoving elevator trim as far forward as you can to try and tame it, if you haven't lost it in the meantime.

Colin and Peter are correct.

If you balance at 33%, you will be more tail heavy than at 25%.

Much better to try it at 25% and find it's a bit nose heavy (but still controllable), than at 33% and find it's too twitchy on elevator and possibly lose control.

Edited By Andy Ennis on 01/05/2015 00:15:04

To balance at 33% the nose would have to be lighter (or the tailplane heavier).

Colin is perfectly correct, start at 25%.

The effect of moving the GG rearwards is to make the rear stabiliser more sensitive to elevator inputs until the model becomes unflyable.

If the model is a bit sluggish to react with the 25% CG it will be safe. Then you can fine tune it by moving the CG back a tiny bit at a time (say 1%) until you are happy with the elevator response.