Ebay sellers...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not against anyone making a profit, but when I see something like this, it does make me wonder how gullible some Ebay sellers thing we are.

This ASP25 was obviously bought from Hobbyking , but just look at the difference in price. £79.98 inc delivery compared to £39.46 plus delivery from HK's UK warehouse. This seller has even used Hobbying's photo and item description.

I saw that engine this morning too. I have trawled eBay enough to have seen plenty of insanely overpriced items like that engine. What surprises me most is that every now and then something like that will actually sell.

I came here to post something from the other side of this particular coin. I'd like to know what is so special about this pair of 1/2a size propellers that two buyers will bid this high so early on? It doesn't look like the usual modus operandi or outcome of two bidders deciding to trump one another with a single huge bid. Similar has happened on another pair of the same propellers. As far as I know these props were still being sold by brodak in the states until very recently.

Edited By Simon P on 11/08/2016 18:54:51

They are from a long time ago. Certainly the 60s, possibly the 50s. I lose track of time on these smaller items

Having said that they do seem incredibly expensive but I suppose if you want to show them ona contemporary engine they could be worth it to the fanatical collector

Edited By Peter Miller on 11/08/2016 19:00:28

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there a maniac loose on ebay? Over the weekend an old hammer finish square Macgregor single channel TX sold for £72.00 too high for my ambitions on converting one to 2.4.Yesterday evening another ended and with a couple of minutes to go was at £12.50, much more realistic,so I bid £15.00 and was the high bidder, with 20secs to go it was at £98.75! the winning bid. Curiously the winning bidder seems to have been the same person for both Tx's, does this person know something the rest of us don't?

Martin

Ebay changed the categories so it's now impossible to just browse through all aeromodeling items as before. The new categories are full of boats, cars and all manner of stuff I'm not interested in. So I have stopped browsing. Only worth searching for specific items by name now. It was the random and unusual stuff that was most interesting. You can't search for it by name because you gave no clue what might come up! I reckon their sales will have gone down as a result of this.

I think if you now want to browse, you have to be a bit more specific or follow several lines. The categories are all different throughout the world. I find the American site easier to follow when looking for modelling stuff. Maybe e-bay are trying to homogenise the sites.

To quote an old Chinese proverb, we are living in "interesting times".

• 3 weeks later...