Is the forum sick?

Steve W-O

Advert

I can't put pictures in a post in Chrome on Windows Vista. I've had this issue a couple of times, and had to resort to Firefox. Its odd becasue it does work occasionally. Tonight, when I clicked on the "insert picture" icon the whole page turned light blue, as if I had selected it, but then the browser locked up and I could do nothing. I had to shut the tab down.

Firefox is working OK for posting pictures etc, but it would be nice to be able to use Chrome! In case anyone is interested I'm using release 15.0.874.121 m od said browser.

The cyber streets are probably crammed full of interent shoppers at the moment and that will affect performance regardelss of browser. Switching off, restarting or changing browser often just means you open a new route to the interent server which may or may not be more succesful.

I have had similar timeout problems with a number of web sites over the last week or so.

I suspect that we will have to be patient and wait until the new year before we will know if this is the case or not but I certainly observed this effect when I had a slower broadband service in previous years.

I hop eyou haven't spoken too soon DF!

Do you live very close to your telephone exchange?

That might be a factor, the further away you are the more sluggish the performance which will be amplified at peak periods of use.

I wonder if there's a common ISP amongst the people having problems?

Well, it's clear there is a problem at times.

As others have said, other sites, both domestic and international, are fine at the times the forum is not, and it makes no difference what operating system and browser combination is used, so it looks like the problem is at the hosting site.

Posted by Ian Jones on 07/12/2011 00:28:49:

That might be a factor, the further away you are the more sluggish the performance which will be amplified at peak periods of use.

Could be ISP, but unlikely. I use Virgin, and they do often seem to have/create problems with certain sites. As many areas are not cabled, it is unlikely that all the people with problems are on Virgin.

Of course that also makes the distance to the exchange irrelevant.

I don't think this is a browser issue. I have observed this across a number of browsers over time... my guess is that the site has too much traffic for the server it is running on. Time for some capital investment

Posted by Steve W-O on 07/12/2011 05:10:30:
Well, it's clear there is a problem at times.

As others have said, other sites, both domestic and international, are fine at the times the forum is not, and it makes no difference what operating system and browser combination is used, so it looks like the problem is at the hosting site.

Posted by Ian Jones on 07/12/2011 00:28:49:

Could be ISP, but unlikely. I use Virgin, and they do often seem to have/create problems with certain sites. As many areas are not cabled, it is unlikely that all the people with problems are on Virgin.

Of course that also makes the distance to the exchange irrelevant.

I do use Virgin

Edited By Dorset flyer on 08/12/2011 00:18:49

Response from web hosts.......

We have been having a bit of a ding dong with one of our upstream providers about this but in the last few minutes they have come back to us and told us they think it is now solved.

There have been bursts of traffic at roughly the same time over several days not on our equipment but within the same centre. The message within the last few minutes was that they have now traced the IPs involved and blocked them.

We'll keep an eye on things but let us know if things slow down again.