Is the forum sick?

Steve W-O

Advert

It's a combination of this site, my slow internet and also problems with my router, which conked out last week. Only got back on line today, I got so teed off, I smashed the keyboard with the malfunctioning router last week, compunded by both the slow site and internet was causing timeouts, making me look like a pr@tt.

The first time I came back on, nothing,

Hurray.. Able to get in to this site.. No access for a while (hours) while I was able to go on the internet with no problems... Hope your Tech people can sort this out soon as this problems went on for a while (weeks) with no apparent improvement.. Best of Luck. Keith

Edited By Keith Simmons on 22/12/2011 21:56:44

Yes, just had some feedback regarding last night.

Our owners purchased 3 new magazine titles last month and their websites went live last night. The sites share the same platform as this and, more important, the same server which decided it was having enough hosting 19 magazine sites......they've now split the sites across different servers to spread the load.

Regulars here will already have recognised my knoweldge deficit when it comes to these things and this info is merely passed on from those that look after us. Our people do take these things seriously and extend their apoogies for what happened there.

Well David that probably explains a lot of the recent problems after all the new websites should have been tested before going live and presuming they were then there's the extra load that could have produced those problems.

I'm dissapointed and relieved. Dissapointed that they let it happen but relieved that there is now potential for putting things right.

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 23/12/2011 13:46:22:
Thanks Steve, knew you'd not mince words

I've expressed concern but have to put my trust in people I'm afraid. I'm told the site is backed-up 3 times a day, which is reassuring. You seem to have some expertise in the field I can pass back to my people?

The fact it is backed up 3 times a day is good, it would be nice to have the database on a separate server to the software, with a live mirrored image on a separate machine, this means that if a disk crashed, it would switch over immediately and no data would be lost, but it is expensive.

Backing up is good, and of course should be done, but if something collapses, the backed up data has to be restored before life can continue.

There are lots of possible reasons for the last few weeks glitches, heavy traffic (maybe DoS) and a failing hard drive being just a couple, but in view of the history over the last weeks, the decision to put three more forums from the same company on a dodgy system is strange to say the least.

It indicates that either they can't identify the problem, or they have and can't fix it (maybe beyond their control, like the apple/sony story)

Yes, if you want pass on my comments, but they will already be aware of that direction of thinking

edit again...................I need a new keyboard, this one keeps making typing errors.

Edited By Steve W-O on 23/12/2011 14:01:51

Edited By Steve W-O on 23/12/2011 14:02:13

Edited By Steve W-O on 23/12/2011 14:14:12

This is my favourite site on the entire internet not just my
favourite RC site but the technical problems now are in danger of spoiling it.

Links have been a problem for a long time with the only
solution being put forward was one of the moderators personally instructing
every member of the forums method of getting a link or video to work that differs from most other sites

The site does need a technical overhall (The content however
is fantastic)

Edited By Phil B on 23/12/2011 14:03:53

Posted by Steve W-O on 23/12/2011 13:56:45:

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 23/12/2011 13:46:22:
Thanks Steve, knew you'd not mince words

I've expressed concern but have to put my trust in people I'm afraid. I'm told the site is backed-up 3 times a day, which is reassuring. You seem to have some expertise in the field I can pass back to my people?

The fact it is backed up 3 times a day is good, it would be nice to have the database on a separate server to the software, with a live mirrored image on a separate machine, this means that if a disk crashed, it would switch over immediately and no data would be lost, but it is expensive.
Backing up is good, and of course should be done, but if something collapses, the backed up data has to be restored before life can continue.
There are lots of possible reasons for the last few weeks glitches, heavy traffic (maybe DoS) and a failing hard drive being just a couple, but in view of the history over the last weeks, the decision to put three more forums from the same company on a dodgy system is strange to say the least.
It indicates that either they can't identify the problem, or they have and can't fix it (maybe beyond their control, like the apple/sony story)
Yes, if you want pass on my comments, but they will already be aware of that direction of thinking

edit again...................I need a new keyboard, this one keeps making typing errors.
Edited By Steve W-O on 23/12/2011 14:01:51

Edited By Steve W-O on 23/12/2011 14:02:13

Edited By Steve W-O on 23/12/2011 14:14:12

Not using a dodgy server - you're a genius Steve, I bet they never thought of that one
I'll pass your thoughts on of course.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 23/12/2011 14:31:46

Posted by David Ashby - RCME Admin on 23/12/2011 14:19:46:

Not using a dodgy server - you're a genius Steve, I bet they never thought of that one
I'll pass your thoughts on of course.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 23/12/2011 14:31:46

No David, not at all, and it does seem rather obvious, I'm just thinking, but only using the very limited info available.

Unfortunately, with the current economic conditions, staff are cut back to below the bare minimum and often don't have time to breath let alone review a situation if they are told to do something. Capital expenditure is cut, so things have to work for longer, and if someone tell the management that something needs replacing, the management won't do anything until the world stops. Same in many places.

Seems a familier story. Not saying who it was, but today been working on a LV panel where no maintenance has been done on the Air Circuit Breakers (ACB's).

Two years ago I swopped the main incomer on New Years' day. (they can only have 1 day shut-down a year, due the 24/7 operation of the sausage/pie/pizza factory for a well kwown supermarket chain.

Typical, the main ACB keeps tripping, causing massive power cuts and loss of production on the worst possible time (gremlins in the system). I suggested they keep a spare breaker available, as getting one on the 23rd is practically nil. Panic and more panic. It's all about money, but hiring 4 Gen-sets at £5000 per day each, plus fuel, plus wages, as we are all on double time and bonus.

On a good note, I fixed the Trip unit, but is it going to hold? Time will tell. Back on NY day to sort the other "snag".

Edited By Paul Marsh on 23/12/2011 19:03:19

• 2 weeks later...
Just made a post on another thread that completed almost instantly - thought I'd just try another.

Right let's see what happens when I hit the button this time!

Edit:
Well not so fast but not bad at all.  Has some work been done on the site or is the Christmas rush over?
Edited By Ian Jones on 04/01/2012 17:39:57

2nd Edit:
Edit submission was very quick.

Edited By Ian Jones on 04/01/2012 17:40:54

Yes its seems to be very slow and time out a lot lately I put it down to being down under , also I have stopped getting emails about recent postings .
Glad its not just me , thought my new laptop was messing about.