What do you do with old RCM&E magazines

Ian Jones

Advert

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/01/2012 15:42:28:
Hey, I'd not thought of that - leaving them at the dentist etc - perhaps with a contact card from the club? - could be a useful way of propmoting the hobby.

BEB
I got fed up reading good house keeping when i had an appointment
Like you say it may even promote the hobby.

When you get to my age you can re-read them again and again and because you don't remember reading it the last time it's like having a new magazine for free!

Seriously I like to browse them because you do forget content or didn't realise the significance of what you read earlier because your experience wasn't ready to let understand it properly.

Go an pick a copy at random from at least a year ago and re-read it!

Terry

Really, Guys! How can anyone suggest throwing out such priceless gems of aeromodelling wisdom, containing the collective thoughts of many generations of learned practitioners.

The only problem I see is remembering what's in each issue. I have all mine dating back to 1973, in plastic boxes in the garage.

I sometime wonder whether we should pool the resource of all forum members (volunteers of course) to produce a complete index of every issue ever published. Now then, if we all took on 3 issues each I'm sure it would soon be done!

Posted by Steve Houghton on 25/01/2012 17:36:42:
Really, Guys! How can anyone suggest throwing out such priceless gems of aeromodelling wisdom, containing the collective thoughts of many generations of learned practitioners.

The only problem I see is remembering what's in each issue. I have all mine dating back to 1973, in plastic boxes in the garage.

I sometime wonder whether we should pool the resource of all forum members (volunteers of course) to produce a complete index of every issue ever published. Now then, if we all took on 3 issues each I'm sure it would soon be done!

Bit of a job Steve...But a great idea.

Andrew

I have every issue I have ever bought; all 16 of them! Seriously though, as a recent returnee to r/c I am finding that every issue has so much information that I am finding it difficult to remember it all. I make a point of revisiting each issue three months after I first read it, and still pick up those odd snippets which either help solve a problem or suggest a course of action in my building or flying (sorry ARTFs and crashing) and getting better at both - work that one out then!

Well I've kept them all from issue No1 to the present date. The first almost 20 years I have duplicates of as I was given them by a much older work collegue. The're all stored, with reasonable access, in my 5th bedroom(store room) along with the pile of unstarted kits.
From time to time I pull them out and have a good read, over many weeks, and find they act as a good 'nudge' to remind me of other things that were going on in my life at those times. They also are a good source of infomation to show just how cheap and easy it all is now.
Got loads of all the other aeromodelling/RC titles as well.
As the saying goes 'Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.'

I take my copies (after about 6 months) in to work as there are a few guys who are not into Model Aircraft and wouldn't normally buy a copy but enjoy reading and learning about the hobby occasionally.

They all seam to disappear??

Del

Thats great..... I would love to find one in my health centre, But no we get Gardeners weekly amongst other tripe

Rusty

Posted by Rusty C on 25/01/2012 18:23:35:
Del

Thats great..... I would love to find one in my health centre, But no we get Gardeners weekly amongst other tripe

Rusty

what do you expect? Health centre???

Posted by ken anderson. on 25/01/2012 17:38:49:
blue bin.....

ken anderson ne..1... bin dept.

Hiya Ken my friend. What's this 'blue bin' business, don't tell me you get bins oop north to put your recycle paper and mags in? We just get scruffy blue bags down yer.

Cheers mate
Geoff ...................deprived dept.

Posted by Geoff Smith 1 on 25/01/2012 18:36:22:
Posted by ken anderson. on 25/01/2012 17:38:49:
blue bin.....

ken anderson ne..1... bin dept.

Hiya Ken my friend. What's this 'blue bin' business, don't tell me you get bins oop north to put your recycle paper and mags in? We just get scruffy blue bags down yer.

Cheers mate
Geoff ...................deprived dept.

hello young geoff.......we are no longer running around with bearskins on up north ..... hitting each other on the heeds with clubs...we now recycle whenever possible...... to save the planet etc.....

ken anderson ne..1 .... green dept.

I archive them. As said, there is a good source of information that can come in handy.

For example, I always wanted to build a certain model from a plan, by the late Dave Ridgeway, called the Gigolo. I finished the plane, but years later I saw the actual model that was in the magazine at a swopmeet. i bought the plane and still had the old article from the 90's.

Also I look back, for nostalga.

Keep them all, have hundreds in my loft at our house in South Africa and have kept every issue since moving here to Dubai over 7.5 years ago. As mentioned in previous posts, always great to go back and look at "old" copies.

Could not bring myself to throwing them away. If it ever came to having to get rid of them I would let the guys at the club have first refusal, after that would consider a Children's Home or something similar as you never know what spark that may kindle in the youth of today.

Leave mine in Dentist waiting room with invite card to my flying club with the offer of a free & friendly intro to the hobby with a buddy-up flight. I write the same inside the magazine.

BB

Edited By BB on 26/01/2012 08:10:18

Leaving them in waiting rooms & children's homes is an excellent
& considerate use for old mags - so much better than the local
recycling centre!
It's great to pick up old issues though, recently I was leafing through
the April 1991 RCME (which survived a chuck-out years ago) with a
beautifully finished Falcon racer on the cover. The article was a very
interesting & useful read on building & finishing models.
They never get chucked out anymore!

I think I've got the worst of all possible worlds on this. I don't throw them out - but I don't store them neatly stacked in order either! So they are are in boxes - just as I picked them up - or on shelves in various rooms around the house - random stacks. Not a cat's chance in hell of ever finding anything! I really should gather them together and sort them out....no I shouldn't life's too short

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/01/2012 10:25:25