Peoples Mosquito

A brand new project has been launched to get a WW2 Mosquito restored and back into the air.

Very early days it seems as they don't seem to have even found one to restore yet, but the idea seems to be to raise funds from the public (us) and eventually donate the aircraft to the BBMF.

Click here for more info

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 07/03/2012 13:32:30

Advert

just look at the price of the comet rebuild at shuttleworth, i feel its a non starter, its akso a high risk airframe, with a structure that just cannot even be hangared in a standard hangar, it needs climate control,

we all have aeroplanes that are glued together, would you trust your glue, which is probably superior to 1940s glue, after all these years? a full skins off restore would cost just too much, nice idea, but i feel you would have more chance keeping the vulcan money pit in the air another 12 months

Glyn Powell in NZ has produced new Fuzelages for Mossies one being used by AVspecs for FB26 KA114 which is due to fly sometime in the next 12 months.

I'd rather see a Mossie fly rather than pour more money into a Vulcan project that afford to pay the Director of the trust 70k a year

• 5 years later...

Just seen on news that 20000 Mossies drawings been discovered at Broughton ! Excellent news for future new Mossies ! SWMBO used to work for Arkana Furniture Bath . Used to be Bath Cabinet Makers. Just before she started in the 80's they skipped all the paperwork they had relating to the Mossie bits they made in the war ! Shame !!!! Doubt I can live long enough to see a new one fly in the UK ! Colin

Five years on now - did anything ever come of the Mosquito project?

The Military Aviation Museum's Mossie (built by Avspecs in NZ) and mentioned above by Keiran cost over four million USDs and took 8 years to build. I was fortunate to see it at it's first public performance and it is an experience I will never forget. Lots of pics on the WWW.

I had a lengthy conversation with them when they had a stand at Duxford a couple of years ago - 10/10 for enthusiasm I found. Until the project moves on a bit, at least until the location of a permanent base for the machine in the UK is announced, I'll just watch with interest .

From PatMc's link -

"The world's last flying example of a Mosquito was owned by British Aerospace and kept at Broughton."

"The aircraft was destroyed in a crash at an air show near Manchester in July 1996, killing the pilot and an engineer."

So those Mosquitoes flying in USA etc. don't exist?

It was suggested a while back in this thread, simply place an order for one in New Zealand where they are still being produced.

Avspecs have produced two fully airworhy Mosquitoes which have been delivered to collections in the U.S. Rumours exist of more orders.
Videos exist on YouTube.
Have seen both of them flying and managed to get into the cockpit of the first one during construction. One of our club members works for Avspecs and club members have been invited a number of times during the restoration.

Hi,

Having been on The Peoples Mosquito (TPM) stand recently I might be able to assist!

TPM did consider purchasing an existing aircraft or possibly the fuselage that's in NZ, however there are complications (more of that later). They are using the provenance of RL249 (see TPM web site for more info)

Okay rewind a bit (and this is my understanding) If you want to fly an aircraft in the UK & EU you have to satisfy the CAA that it is air worthy, that means it has to be build to documented specifications and drawings, the existing one are not so significant work and cost, if they were ever to accept it.

The TPM have already approached and agreed with the CAA that (with the aid of the 22,00 drawings) a Mosquito can be built and that they will (if all conditions met) issue an airworthy certificate for approx. 40 years (as its a new aircraft). The CAA have agreed that it can be built and inspected in NZ and to the predetermined requirements specified in the UK.

Engines will be Merlin Packard units with fuel injection (CAA requirement) to avoid any engine issues which have caused previous accidents, these are readily available, three will be purchased and rotated/ one kept as a spare. The lack of one of the superchargers will not be an issue as there is no interest in trying for altitude performance and are known to be easily serviceable.

Wing ribs have been purchased and are in storage and now the focus is getting the Fuselage started. The speed of build is only governed by the ability to raise funds.

Lastly, there is a suggestion that following a number of serious issues/accidents with aircraft that have come over from the US regarding airworthiness the CAA will enforce their requirements in a more stringent manner (yes its nice to see them, but we do ourselves no favours when the incident appears as front page news).

PS - Visit the web site and join/donate if you can

I think Chris has covered most of it but some time ago biggin hill heritage hangar posted that a mosquito was coming to live there as its permanent base. Their message was brief and said more details would follow but to date i have not seen anything. The implication was that this was a different aircraft to TPM's aircraft.

Currently the 3 flying mossies are all in the us and canada with two coming from NZ. I think they are working on their 3rd with at least 2 more 'in the wings' so there will be a whole squadron before too long

Regarding the crash of the last uk based aircraft the accident report is worth a read. Essentially the carbs were set up very badly which lead to an engine giving up at a particularly bad moment. I wasnt aware injection carbs were a requirement now, plenty of spits and hurrics fly with early merlin III's which were far less advanced than the merlin 25's fitted to the mosquito. Does this requirement only apply to multi engine aircraft?

Jon,

As you appreciate its not necessarily a decision around a technical solution being out there that resolved the issue, but more of having something that mitigates the risk of it happening in the first place.

Spit pilots learnt to roll and dive to avoid the negative g issue in the carb, but that did not stop them designing the issue out completely later on.

Only my view, but if I was facing the CAA and asked if there was an option that eliminated the issue completely or a modification that should work most of the time I know which way I would go.

Regarding seeing more that one in the UK....very unlikely because of my comments earlier regarding the CAA's stance, but one will do me!

PS If only all engines were as reliable as a Laser, perhaps a less cautious approach could be take with a twin engine aircraft suffering a single engine failure smiley

Mitigating risk is always a good move but following the crash new regs were brought in to make sure the carbies were configured correctly as the carb on the engine that gave up was delivering something like 10% of what it should have been in that condition. I had not heard of the requirement for injector carbs and im pretty sure they could not be fitted to earlier engines. I dont disagree with you, i was simply curious to know what the actual requirement is.

In any case, a conversation i had some years ago with a chap rebuilding a hurricane and he confirmed what you say about the CAA wanting aircraft to essentially 'as designed' spec with some sort of evidence to show that is how its supposed to be. He said however that modifications were permitted if they were to improve safety/reliability/life of the airframe. In the case of his Hurricane he intended to fit a 500 series merlin and not the XX it was intended to use. This was justified as the 500 series he had in hand was a post war 0 hour engine with the same power output but significantly longer intended service life and was also brand new. This was a safer option than an older unit that was rebuilt, and i believe more spares are available so he was granted the mod.

i would imagine that TPM's engine/carb substitution was made along the same lines even if it was not a requirement as such and that seems fair enough to me.

For the interest of all, and to prevent the mods lynching me for speculating, the accident report for the last mossie can be found here **LINK**