How do you hold those Tx sticks?

I started off trying to use fingers and thumbs as advised by my instructor but as I have small hands with short fingers I found this to be very uncomfortable. I agree with those who say that using more than just thumbs gives more precise control and to be honest when I am checking things out on the ground say before a flight, I do notice the little unintentional elevator and rudder deflections when I move my mode two sticks up and down. I guess that's why I will never enter the Nats!

Jon

I should also say that I purchased special fancy adaptors for thumbs flying from Madison components in the USA; these are machined alloy cups anodized in blingy colours that fit straight onto my Futaba Txs. These are very comfortable and easy to use and I would recommend them...

Jon

Thumbs only, no neck strap, no tray. I've tried to use fingers and thumbs, but i end up thinking too much about using them and so my flying is not as smooth or natural. I'll keep trying, but suspect i need a low speed sport plane to practice on rathen than warbirds, which is all all have in the Hangar at the minute.

Chris......unemployed fingers Dept.

Thumbs, with a neckstrap. I didn't use a neckstrap until I went solo, and found it dificult to hold a hand launch glider and the tx, therefore I tried my neckstrap, and it was much easier.

Tried with fingers, couldnt get a feel for it....

Olly

Edited By Olly P on 09/04/2012 19:44:00

Thumbs man. Tried fingers and thumbs - great on flight sim where the TX can be held horizontal, but useless for vertical transmitter on site (35MHz) so thumbs it must be unless I want carpel tunnel syndrome, spondilitis, RSI, etc...  P.S. Mode 2; no tray; no beckstrap; Futaba/JR

Edited By Rob Cope on 09/04/2012 20:42:10

Edited By Rob Cope on 09/04/2012 20:46:23

Edited By Rob Cope on 09/04/2012 20:46:48

I'm disabled - right arm - so it is difficult to hold the Tx and use thumbs. I use a tray and finger and thumb. Throttle left - Mode Two.

Learnt to fly with Fleet 27meg - so much lighter and smaller than todays feature packed computer radios - so okay without tray. Still used finger and thumb......................

The main fact, reading the responses is that we use whatever suites us best.

Regards to All.

Finger and thumbs, I was told it was the best way tio learn inverted flying as you can just lift your finger away from the elevator stick and apply a bit of down elevator with the thumb. Then if the ground came up to meet the model, it prevented you from pulling back on the stick and planting the model.

I was told FnT was the 'proper' way when I started Heli's, but i've been a Thumbs only user since my first RC Car, and don't feel comfortable the other way.. I've tried it on the Sim, but how do you hold the Tx properly.. Or flick switches..??? 'Thumbs only' means 2 spare fingers and a better grip.. !

I do move the rudder, inadvertantly, sometimes with a plane, but when flying the Heli, it's more obvious and critical, so I tend not to do it..!! Lazy plane flyer I guess..

I do use a neck strap, but only for carrying the model and Tx, to and from the field.. I unclip it before I even turn the Tx on..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 10/04/2012 14:09:38

I am a recent convert to Mode 2.

I hold the right stick between thumb and forefinger and use my left thumb as a prod for rudder and throttle - much to the amusement of Ian, our club instructor...

I didn't even know I was doing it until it was pointed out to me last week.

No neckstrap or tray though - I find them too restrictive,

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 10/04/2012 16:49:48