Acro Wot ARTF (balsa) chat

Advert

I thought you were using a ASP 52 four stroke... Now I know that it is a two stroke. Ah, now I see. Although the ,52 is powerful enough for the Acro Wot- ideal 2 stroke, a four stroke is much better.

Chris Barlow, at out club bought an Acro a while back, and asked me what to put in it. I said a .70 four stroke and he agreed when He flew it - was ideal. Soon as you throttle back, it slows down, sounds great, not as annoying as a screamer 2 stroke and suits the model.

I've got a Thunder Tiger .75 four stroke and it's brill!

Ah Paul! I must admit, I was surprised when you said you thought a 52 would be boring, even given my inexperience! In a way I'm relieved to hear that it was a misunderstanding!

And thanks both, I'll be keeping an eye out for one of those engines starting now. I had another great session tonight, I'm getting nice and familiar with the plane. I'll probably up my rates after a few more sessions, then go for the engine upgrade

Still loving this plane.

I was wondering what people moved onto after their Acrowot? What would be a good follow on, that is perhaps more challenging to fly, but more rewarding?

Personally, I've got plans for a Spitfire, and also want to branch across into 3D, starting with some kind of EPP profile thing. But I'd also like to get a follow on sport/aerobatic model at some point too. A chap with an Acrowot at my club also has an Sbach, which seems to be quite a step up. What do you guys think?

I'm in he same situation Chris, love the AW and the sound of the 4 stroke in it, but I'm wondering what next. I've a couple of small things in the pipeline but I also am considering something scale. The TJ Hurricane plans are on my desk and it is looking tempting, BEBs Typhoon build only serving to whet my appetite

Chris / Robin

After my home built Acrowot about seven years ago which was powered by an OS 55AX two stroke I moved onto a 55" span Katana ARTF with the same engine....I think the actual model is now available from HobbyKing but I may be mistaken....

I loved the increase in agility and would be flying it today if I hadn't crunched it due to a jammed throttle servo (my fault!)

I think something like that would be fine and you would enjoy the greater speed / envelope? But its all a matter of taste...!

Jon

Edited By Jon Laughton on 16/05/2014 23:00:18

I gave on of these its maiden flight the other day for one of our members...it was fitted with an Irvine 53 2/st and spectrum radio....I was really impressed with the model...it only reqd 2 clicks of up trim to fly hands off...and half throttle was more than enough....

ken Anderson ne..1 ..test dept.

I've just recently put one of these in to the air and it has had 15 flights to date. I've balanced slightly to the rear of the recommended balance point and needed around 6 ounces of lead bolted to the engine bearer. All up weight is 5 3/4 pounds and it has a Irvine 46 up front turning a 11/7 prop.

It flies a treat and a mention else where in this thread doesn't like slowing down in light wind conditions. Mind you, I found keeping the nose slight high on approach and maintaining height with the throttle always allows it to slow enough for a smooth landing and short roll out.

In essence it a really nice model to play with and I really like flying it thumbs up.

Stumps

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just thought Id let you know that I have now fitted an on board glowplug unit on my Acrowot now so that I can get the tickover very low and reliable. This has reduced the landing speed so that it doesn`t want to keep on flying due to excessive thrust from the engine (SC52 four stroke / 12 x 6 prop). I had a couple of excellent flights today and am very pleased with the results. As long as the nose is kept up a bit and throttle at tickover it will settle nicely onto the runway.

I have used a 2500 mah Cyclon sealed lead battery for the glowplug and mounted it as far forward as poss in the radio bay. This has also meant that I have been able to remove the lead that I had on the engine bearers as the battery has made the CG come out spot on, so it is useful weight instyead of dead weight. The plane doesn`t even seem to notice the weight of the battery and still floats and handles beautifully.

glow batt compressed.jpg

• 1 month later...

Tried my acrowot mk2 Artf with asp52 but it needed 300g of lead on the nose and not much craic. It was like towing a brick around the sky. The cowl and mount position are really designed for a 4st and I needed an exhaust extender to add 12mm heading out from the exhaust port.

So, out came the 52 an in went the Asp 91fs which everyone told me was too big. Engine dropped in with 1-2mm filed from each side of the engine mount. Even with the 91fs there's a need for approx 150g lead on the nose. Came home one day and found that Good old dad had taken the cowl off and isaponed my now redundant 2st exhaust cutouts.

Really it could still do with do with more lead to be safe, as its a bit tippy a low speed but its good and aerobatic. Was using a 14x6 but goes nicer with 13x8 which doesn't break so much but still goes vertical.

If anyone is buying this plane I recommend the Asp 91fs and leave so lead on the roof.

• 7 months later...

Got this one for Xmas, had to convert it to electric like the rest of my fleet.
Used a Hobbyking Propdrive 580KV 50x 50 motor mounted on a 3mm alloy plate. This was stood off he firewall using 10mm alloy spacers 55mm long, with 4m tapped holes either end, using the original mounting holes in the firewall.
I also used a 125amp Red Brick ESC with BEC, (its yellow because I took the original heatshrink off to solder on longer supply wires, rather then join them). The ESC BEC only supplies the receiver, there is another 3 amp SMPS that supplies all the servo's via a small breakout board, this is due to having had receiver "brown outs" during quick manoeuvres with other planes in the past. A battery box was made to accept a 5000maH 6s battery from 1.5mm ply and fitted where the fuel tank would normally fit. With an 13x8.5 APC electric prop, it draws just over 1200 watts, which with the Acro weighing in at 7 1/2 lbs is enough for it to do effortless vertical climbs. This set up gives me around 7 minutes of flight leaving the battery approx. 35 % charged, as a safety margin or at the correct storage voltage for next week. The COG with the battery fitted is slightly nose down on the factory recommended, but then again it would be with an IC engine and full fuel tank

Redex.

Yeah I have to remove the wing, but I've left the servo leads long enough so I don't have to disconnect them each time. With the plane upside down on my stand the loose wing just sits across the fuselage, so it only takes a minute or so. Rather have it that way then spoil the looks of the Acrowot, sad as it is I think it's a beautiful looking plane.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kevo, the manual for the Acro Wot is on the Ripmax website and can be downloaded and viewed from there. All the info is in there including C of G and control throws etc. try copying this link and pasting it into your browsers address box. The aircraft is a fantastic flyer, hope you enjoy it. ... Stevedude

http://www2.ripmax.net/Item.aspx?ItemID=A-CF006

• 9 months later...

Hi guys cracking read through this thread. i would like to buy an acro wot but the engine i have going spare is an ASP 91 two stroke!! I thought at first it would be far to big/heavy but after reading thought this i think weight wise it would be ok and if you can fit a 90fs surely i can fit a 2 stroke in? any thoughts? many thanks Tom.

Hi Tom

Even though I am usually more than happy to fit larger than specified engines in models I do personally think that a 91 two stroke would be too much for the Acrowot - it would certainly go like stink and the landing speed with the extra weight may be rather rapid to say the least.......I guess ultimately it depends on how confident you are to be able to handle such a beast!laugh

Another consideration would be ground handling: the Acrowot as a tail-dragger can be 'skittish' on the ground and the extra torque from your 91/prop combo could make it 'challenging' to keep a straight track on take off although you would not need full power!!

Good luck either way and do let us know what you decide / how it goes!

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply, that is good advise, I wouldnt mind the higher landing speed as have quite a good field but like you say it might be pushing it, landing without noseing over is my only major thought, vertical would be fantastic tho. If it would phisically fit in I might be qutite tempted

The 91 would drop straight in.....a 90 is the same size as a 60 these days.....in terms of weight I wouldn't think it's much different to the 91 4 stroke I have in mine....in terms of performance...mmmmm unlimited vertical certainly but as long as you didn't go flat out in a dive I think you would be fine. Good throttle management would be the name of the game....thumbs up

ahh guys youve got me all confused smiley I think it would be a cracking model with this engine in it. i would love vertical power, but really not fussed about going flat out all of the time. Its either this or the Black horse p47 thunder bolt, flaps and gear vs the nice simple acro wot.

Steve did the 91 4 stroke fit in ok? a few people have said there is not a lot of space in the cowl to fit a larger engine? if i could fit the 91 2s in i would be quite tempted hehe.