Original Twinstar (brushed motors)

fly boy3

FB, I used to run mine on a 25A esc with 7 x 2400 Nicads, although this was adequate for aerobatics I used full power nearly all the time. Later changed to 8 x 2000 Nihms, still with the 25A esc but although I never had any problems with it it was probably close to it's limit. Having said that I was also able to use lower throttle than with 7 cells most of the time. The Nihm battery was also about 3 or 4 ozs lighter than the Nicad.

PS - just checked a log I keep of all my motor tests (sad but true) & the Permax 6v 400 with Gunther prop as supplied with the TS took 10.2A with 7 cells & 12A with 8 cells.

Edited By PatMc on 06/07/2012 21:58:55

Cheers Chris, and you are right, they are scarce, but I have been lucky with some offers from very kind forum members, who I presume have gone brushless and have no further use for them, I'm most gratefull for these offers. Cheers ps Re my question to Paul would Nmh batteries be more usefull to these 400 brushed motors than Lipos ,due to their voltage requirements. ? Cheers

My Twinstar 2 Ni Mh battery is shown below with 9 cells at 10.8 volts EMF . I have two other 9.6 volt packs with 8 cells. I must say that over the last 6 years or so the Twinstar 2 has had many flights and is ideal to fly after winter lay-offs to get over 'flying rustyness'.

Twinstar battery

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 06/07/2012 22:07:44

I've flown a MPX Cargo with geared 400s on a 3s LiPo, without problems. Mind you, it was only on full power for take-off, but I'm sure the Twinstar would fly on reduced power most of the time.

Things to be careful of are the c of g, as even a big LiPo will be lighter than Nickel cells, and probable lack of LiPo compatibility on the ESCs low voltage cut-off. This isn't a problem if you set up your flight times carefully, though.

The original Twinstar was a real breakthough model, with decent performance and duration using those old motors and cells. Good luck!

I upgraded my original twin star to 3s lipo, first problem was the original props which flew off with teh higher revs, so I replaced them with a couple of prop adaptors and a couple of 6 x 4 (I think) props, it went really well until one of the motors burnt out, but it's hard to resist the extra power wink. Mines now upgrades to brushless with rudder throttle mixing and a tail dragger undercarriage. Hasn't flown for a while now.

Yeah I did the same with mine. 3cell lipo for power , but soon burnt the6v motors. Upgraded motors and esc ( two of each motor and esc) cost about £40 from the cod as was. Still flies well and is fastest twin on the patch. Has been redesigned due to magnetic earth !!!!! Still flies well.

The heavy Ni mH battery packs are ideal due to their weight for instances when you need for the Twinstar to penetrate when its windy. I seem to remember my nephew adding loads of lead ballast in his slope soarers for the same reason. I have been 'too tight' to think about swapping the Ni mH batteries for lipos but have always found that the Twinstar 2 flies pretty fast with the original motor and battery set up. However the climb rate is not fantastic.

I have been offered a free original unused Twinstar but have yet to collect it.

I did find with the Twinstar 2 that the C/G position was too far back and I had to move the batterie(s) forward for it to fly OK.

I have replaced the brushed motors once to date.

MJE

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 07/07/2012 10:49:02:

The heavy Ni mH battery packs are ideal due to their weight for instances when you need for the Twinstar to penetrate when its windy. I seem to remember my nephew adding loads of lead ballast in his slope soarers for the same reason. I have been 'too tight' to think about swapping the Ni mH batteries for lipos but have always found that the Twinstar 2 flies pretty fast with the original motor and battery set up. However the climb rate is not fantastic.

Using a 4,000 mah 3s battery helps and does wonders for the duration and climb rate

• 10 years later...
2 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Eric, you are correct unless the ESC has a Lipo setting, but that wasn't something older brushed controllers had. But if you fly conservatively and land before you've used the battery capacity it's not a problem.

I don't recall ever flying a model right up to the point the esc cut the power to protect the battery.  It's worth being aware of but not really a problem.