Favourite old engines

jeff2wings

• 2 months later...
Advert

I've just posted a video of running a rare old engine. It's a French Stab 1.25cc diesel. These were marketed from Autumn 1945, so they are older than any British or American diesel.

Notice the excellent throttling, obtained simply by rotating a choke cap, which could easily be operated by an RC servo. You get a superb idle and progressive throttling without touching the compression...

You can see it running here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ni2JLeaIA

This site doesn't seem to have created the link, so you may have to paste it in your browser... Strange...

Edited By brokenenglish on 02/02/2014 14:48:14

Edited By brokenenglish on 02/02/2014 14:49:26

Glad to be of help.

There are instructions here but if you press the YouTube button you'll see the following instructions -

• 3 weeks later...

For lovers of old diesels, I've just posted a video of one of the first diesels running.

The engine is a low serial number in the first series of Dynos (1939/40 vintage).

Only a simple running session, but it's a super engine. Here's the url:

http://youtu.be/2dSg18Uk-bU

Edited By brokenenglish on 24/02/2014 11:58:57

Posted by Martin Harris on 01/03/2013 09:32:22:

Nostalgia-wise has to be a DC Merlin, an example of which which I did run up a few years ago just to smell the wonderful exhaust fumes - which instantly took me back to happy days of KK Snipes, Phantom Mites and suchlike..

I'd forgotten about this post but it may have had something to do with me downloading some KK Phantom Mite plans from the 'net and building one for my Merlin last summer.

Flew it a couple of times - oh the olfactive memories from the wonderful aroma of burnt ether/paraffin/castor - but I don't remember getting as dizzy forty something years ago!

Another thread, "Rejuvenating an old engine" went a bit off the subject so, as suggested by one of the respondents, here is a different thread in which you can show off your treasures! I will kick off with this Grayson Gnome ....... In OFW Fisher's "Collectors guide to Model Aero Engines" he dates the Gnome at 1933 though the exact age of this example is not known.

img_0310.jpg

img_0313.jpg

It was once owned by Harold Towner and I acquired it, along with several other engines, when his daughter sold them after he died. It had (has) two labels attached to it, one of which says "3.5cc Grayson Gnome 2 stroke petrol engine built by L.H.Sparey from commercial castings".

Goodness knows how you are supposed to mount it in a model and as you can see, the needle valve is missing so I have not run it but with a history like that, this engine has pride of place in my collection smiley.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/03/2014 10:02:03

This HP was originally bought by my Dad and in remarkably good condition for its age.

HP Mk1

I think it is about 4cc.

The only way we could get it to start was on glow fuel (which it did quite well) and then slowly dilute it with petrol 2 stroke adjusting the needle as you went along. The needle was terribly sensitive on petrol with the tiniest movement resulting in it either stopping rich or cutting out weak! The needle taper is really much too coarse.

I would be surprised if anybody ever got it started which probably explains its almost 'as new' condition!

some nice old engines still doing the rounds.......I think that we are spoilt today...we take them out the box-bolt them in and they work -day in/out...with very little requiring doing from us...

ken Anderson ne..1 ..... old engines dept.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/03/2014 10:01:11

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Despite having a few classic diesel engines from the early 60's (DC Bambi, Mills .75, AM 15 etc.), my all time favourite 'old' engine is my 1980's O.S. .Max 20 FP. It's done such stirling service for me over the years and even though it is on it's third carb assembly due to some pilot induced 'incidents', the wee beastie still performs perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some of my engines out of the display cabernet and run them up , a couple need some work on them but the two that started and ran the best ? the Laser & Merco 4st yessmile d (they're British you know wink) both started 2 nd flick ,the Merco was swinging a 13x6 MA at 8,150 rpm , not bad for a 40 ish year old engine

imga0984.jpg

For me the trouble with IC moors, is that you need a lot of junk to start them. Then their is the issue of oil every where, which has to be cleaned of before putting in the car. And do not get me started about the noise!

However they do score with respect to duration, by a healthy margin. Hence I used a RC plane for my "A" test.

I do admire the Profi though, as a brilliant bit of sound engineering.

The Profi is the bottom right.