Bogged down?

Jon Laughton

Our main flying flield (for the Oldham & DIstrict Model Flying Club) is really suffering from the wetest summer since whenever. It is really boggy and there is a real threat that until we get a sustained dry spell we may have to abandon take offs on wheels and just hand launch electric models with the follow on problem of belly landing in mud / water pools....

Are many other clubs suffering the same or are we just very unlucky this autumn? Last November I recall being in short sleeves on a warm afternoon flying in balmy conditons - perhaps the weathe rgods will care to repeat that one!

Advert

Quite commom at the Skelmersdale patch Jon. The flying field is on an ancient peat bog so it doesn't drain very well...indeed it almost floats on the waterlogged peat .......we have considered flying float planes off it before!!!!

The actual strip is affectionaly known as "The Trampoline" because if you jump up and down in one corner you can see the far corner move.....teeth 2

Last year though the club lengthened & leveled the flying patch & whilst the contractors were there they dug two channels to soakaways to help drain the actual patch & these have worked pretty well.....very little standing water this year.

What you have to remember is that if your flying site was on well drained, desireable land.....it probably wouldn't be a flying site....sad.....sad but true....

Our field and strip are quite good. The main problem is crossing the two fields we have to cross to get to our field when wet (most of this summer). It is our postponed barbeque tomorrow and yes it's raining tonight.sadcrookface 21

John

Edited By John Tee on 05/10/2012 22:04:27

Can't beat that Tom smiley!

If they were Sunday league pitches I remember playing on some almost as bad in my younger years. As a goalie I ended up looking like the creature from the black lagoon...

There's a picth next door to our flying patch and I thank the heavens I dont have to play on it - it would be a farce!face 24

Well I have to report that the situation is getting better - the ground whilst being very soft underfoot was drained enough in the place we tend to fly from well enough for four of us to take off and land without problem - both electric foamies and my IC Sebart Katana.

Here's hoping that the draining continues...

Edited By Jon Laughton on 06/10/2012 19:01:44

We have a field on a gentle slope. It drains perfectly.

The trouble comes when one has to retrieve a model from the surrounding field. It is clay nd in wet weather you get a couple of kilos of mud on your shoes/boots within a few steps.

The parking area is grass but that can get very slippery with rain and frost seems to make it especially greasy.

Well our BBQ went ahead as scheduled (see above posting) Only two cars got stuck and needed towing out. I nearly got stuck but reversed out of trouble - car covered with mub even on the roof. Had a good turn out of 35 out of the 50 booked. Strip was ok and some good flying had with no damage suffered. The day turned out very warm and sunny with a light breeze that was variable in direction. All in all a good time was had by all.

John