Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

its a DLE30 ! Same as our Waco and as I said out of the Porter so a well proven unit ! .

we shall see.

That bulk head is not strong enough so will need a bit of modding , Now I know I can fit the engine , I can start the re-inforcement plan !

cheers

and I will save up for a decent cowl (thanks )

Advert

yes please Pegasus , any advice/help would be very welcome , as would any comments from Bert!

And like Bert the Stampe will eventually end up as my sons !

I have modded it wing wise as both sets are in two pieces , I did show them on this thread years ago , So its about time I finished the old gel .And now seamed a good time to do it !!

Thanks chaps

stay safe

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 14/04/2020 09:05:31:

I was going to fill mine in but couldnt be bothered with it. I will keep an eye on it and if they announce a date i will just call them and ask if they need pilots.

I have my doubts about the show going ahead this year. If we’re told to go on another term of quarantine that could take us easily to the last week in May. Then there will be a gradual release, having a mass gathering of 1000’s 3 weeks after that seems remote. I’ve now only got LMA Much Marcle and the Local Redruth Show to look forward to.....if they’re not cancelled face 11

Hi Cymaz, The 35ra is a tadge overpowered, so half throttle is great for most things. When I bought the engine I had read somewhere that there is a bigger gap than usual in the piston ring. I ran the engine on the bench for a bit very rich to see what the performance was like. It wasnt bad...I then stripped the engine down and became very aware that the gap in the ring was excessive and this could result in loss of compression and peak power. Contacted a chap in the states called Brown who makes rings for the DLE 35Ra, he said this was a common thing with the 35ra, it was a relatively new engine on the market. He made me a couple of rings to replace the existing one. After fitting I fired the beast up and noticed an immediate difference in the engine. There was more revs and a higher compression than before. First flights with the Stampe and the 35Ra proved it to be a very powerful and responsive engine, and very reliable.

Hi Bert and Cymaz, I have total confidence in all my engines, I try not to push them past their design limits. But I think we have all had a dead engine in mid flight...bloody frightening. Fortuantly it dos'ent happen very often.

As for RA being advantageous spot on Bert. Side exhaust can be a problem when you want to enclose the whole engine etc.

The other advantage is most RA engines have that schurnle port opposite the exhaust port that aids the evacuation of exhaust gases. Very useful if you run a tuned pipe. I used to race powerboats (RC) all my engines were Rear exhaust and ran tuned pipes.

Good fish and chips at hastings.....