Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

Hi Adrian,

I retained the castering tailwheel on both of my Stampes, and have very few issues in ground handling (no problems at all in the air... cheeky).
The only time that the rudder is not enough is when trying to turn back out of wind at the end of the landing roll out, but then I find the same problem with my 1/4 Jungmeister and 1/4 Christen eagle both of which have steerable tailwheels.

They can all manage it if I retain enough draught over the fin&rudder, but sometimes ground conditions make that difficult...

Go with it!

Steve.

What Steve describes is how I recall the full size Stampe behaved too.

Serious crosswinds were 'challenging' = best avoided and even in light crosswinds sometimes accepting a gentle, slow, groundloop was the safe option when taxying. On hard surfaces sometimes that wee burst of power to get rudder authority could be a headache causing speed build up, and real Stampes mostly have light tail weight so using the brakes is best avoided. Lots of fun - thinking ahead mattered.

John B

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi. Finally taken the plunge and bought the SLEC kit and an NGH38 to go in it. I remember when the original Preciedent kit came out Denis Bryant told me he thought they had copied and scaled up his drawings which he released in 1971, I also remember him telling me they had got the undercarriage position wrong. I have competed his original drawings with the new kit drawings and indeed the kit wheel position it to far forward and the rear suspension strut mounting about 2" to far forward. I am tempted to revise the lower wing center section to allow for the rear strut to move back and to revise the construction to more closely Denis Bryant's design, which would also have the bonus of be stronger. Has anybody else done this?

Also noted that on the Denis Bryant drawing the fabric covering goes al along the fus side to the cowelling, it is not solid wood, Has anybody else done that.

Was thinking of using Mick Reeves flat steel bracing wires to aid reallisem. that would allow the interplane struts to simply plug into the wing, being retained by the tension on the bracing. That would tidy up the strut fixings.

Finally I thought I again may copy the Denis Bryant plan and incorporate scale (ish) Friese ailerons. Not sure of this though, although it would look good it would be a fair bit of extra work.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The u/c fairings take the brunt of the exhaust and will need to be well fuel proofed. Humbrol by itself will strip off in no time. I used finishing epoxy on my Stampe but even that will bubble after a while. Try two coats of the rather expensive for the jar size Mick Reeves Models epoxy which can be brushed on.

There are more modern paints available now but I have not tried any. Mine is painted all over with Smooth Hammerite.

• 3 months later...
On 11/10/2020 at 22:43, Graham Statham said:

Hi. Finally taken the plunge and bought the SLEC kit and an NGH38 to go in it. I remember when the original Preciedent kit came out Denis Bryant told me he thought they had copied and scaled up his drawings which he released in 1971, I also remember him telling me they had got the undercarriage position wrong. I have competed his original drawings with the new kit drawings and indeed the kit wheel position it to far forward and the rear suspension strut mounting about 2" to far forward. I am tempted to revise the lower wing center section to allow for the rear strut to move back and to revise the construction to more closely Denis Bryant's design, which would also have the bonus of be stronger. Has anybody else done this?

Also noted that on the Denis Bryant drawing the fabric covering goes al along the fus side to the cowelling, it is not solid wood, Has anybody else done that.

Was thinking of using Mick Reeves flat steel bracing wires to aid reallisem. that would allow the interplane struts to simply plug into the wing, being retained by the tension on the bracing. That would tidy up the strut fixings.

Finally I thought I again may copy the Denis Bryant plan and incorporate scale (ish) Friese ailerons. Not sure of this though, although it would look good it would be a fair bit of extra work.

The Bryant model will be closer to scale for sure. If it were me I would do the mods you have highlighted. I have just altered the ailerons on a DB sport and Scale Auster, and added flaps. Lots of work but is worth it. Look forward to seeing your progress ?

Cheers

Danny

• 1 month later...

Interesting to read on BMFA Classified a seller listing an original Stampe model. He states that as it is an original version it is much better than the current SLEC version. Interested  to know others opinions but having built the original and the SLEC versions myself I wholeheartedly disagree. What’s not to like regards laser cut parts over ‘die crush’, and the balsa selection for  was faultless on the SLEC model.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I was the lucky recipient of a Precedent Stampe from a Club mate who has had to leave the hobby with medical problems.  Unfortunately, the OS 120 pumper would not run reliably - possibly a gummed up pump as it hasn't been run for at least 10 year or more.  However, as I was lucky enough to buy an unused OS 155 pump I decided to put that into the Stampe as I wanted to run in the engine for possible use in a Mustang.  

This evening, I weighed the Stampe and it came in at 6.7 Kg dry.  Note that the 155 is a bored and stroked 120 so it has the same mounting holes but a different silencer.  The 155 is also about 50 g lighter than the 120.  I checked the CG and it is on the rear wing bolts of the top wing.  This seems to be the safe place for the CG.  Hoping to fly it tomorrow.

• Like 1