Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

My father has one of these which he built decades ago, but has never flown. It still looks good in its "Rothmans" livery. The engine is an ASP 2 stroke, maybe a 91, from memory. I expect he would have built this from the original Precedent kit and it will fall to me to get it in the air at some point.

I've noticed some comments about wayward tailplane incidence on "some" examples. Without me wading back through 120-odd pages, can anybody please advise me what the tail incidence measurement should best be?

Ah, good call to look on Outerzone, thank you! Yes, I can see the high incidences set on all surfaces. It's from an older era when there was not a surfeit of power available. A 91 glow was seen as huge I suppose. Maybe a reduction in incidence of the lower wing would be the way to go, if one was building it all over again of course.

From what I remember of my build the tail sits flush with the upper spruce longerons so theoretically must be in the right place (according to the plan). I have tried 1/16th packing under the top wing TE which made no difference so I did not try more since the model flies well. There is nothing that you can with the lower wing incidence.

Downthrust could be added but it would have to be done before the cowl is finally fitted. A more forward cg seems to make no difference.

It is sometimes possible to make a variable incidence tail but not in this case.

Is that +3.5 deg wrt the thrust line? In that case the plan shows it at zero.

I think the tail on mine has quite an incidence on it. I still need extra down trim but i am sure it is already angled. 

As for the argument that it needs more, i suspect its a product of us all flying too fast. As discussed before and on the other thread i made, the model was designed around fairly wimpy engines and i suspect it never went that quickly. The wing/tail incidence's are likely set up to be good enough for just floating along. My model only needs a shove forward at high speed and i tend to waft about as slowly as i can. 

The additional forward trim we carry is also the likely cause of the extra heave of elevator we all need on landing. 

On 31/05/2020 at 00:57, bert baker said:

Was watching Aces High earlier,

thought odd looking SE5’s

Rounded wing tips

Well what you’d know

There heavily modified Stampe’s

Sorry, found this thread late, love the stampe. Not into big models, anybody built the Denny Bryant plan ?.

Aces High were indeed modded Stampes in the film. And Mick Charles built and flew the models for the film. 1976.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to old warden today for their vintage airshow. One of the acts was the stampe formation team and what did i find sat on the flightline? 'My' Stampe!

DSC05666.thumb.JPG.8f1972ada684971e92f559c70a38aebb.JPG

I was able to attract the attention of the pilot/owner and showed him some photos of my model that happened to be saved on my camera. He was quite impressed and was interested to hear all about the performance of our models vs his full size. 

Their display was also excellent and started with a missing man formation to remember a team member lost with his stampe in an accident earlier this year. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cymaz said:

Lovely, I’ve found the full size pilots are always pleased when someone copies their scheme.

Not the previous owner of mine. A friend of his left a really stroppy comment on one of my youtube videos! 

Anyway, here are a few more shots of the stampe's 

DSC05439.JPG

DSC05450.JPG

DSC05468.JPG

DSC05494.JPG

DSC05502.JPG

DSC05509.JPG

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines
  • Like 1

Having been flying my Precedent Stampe over the past year, it seems the wire supplied for the undercarriage is very soft. Every flying session ends with the axles needing re-bending to return the wheels to their proper attitude. And no - it is not due to unduly hard landings!

The U/C is now beginning to show stress cracks, so the plane has been hangared until the U/C has been replaced. This won't be easy due to the Precedent method of attaching the U/c.

On my previous Stampe - Svenson 1/5th - I replaced the u/c with a homemade oleo system using Bundy tube and compression springs. It is still working well after 30+ years...

I notice on here that some contributors have used cupboard door gas struts as oleos, but there is such a range it is difficult to choose the right ones. From those of you who have successfully used these, can you advise what strength struts have been used successfully (I see a range from 50N to 240N), and any preferred designs or methods of fastenings? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Steve.

3 hours ago, Steve Dunne said:

Having been flying my Precedent Stampe over the past year, it seems the wire supplied for the undercarriage is very soft. Every flying session ends with the axles needing re-bending to return the wheels to their proper attitude. And no - it is not due to unduly hard landings!

The U/C is now beginning to show stress cracks, so the plane has been hangared until the U/C has been replaced. This won't be easy due to the Precedent method of attaching the U/c.

On my previous Stampe - Svenson 1/5th - I replaced the u/c with a homemade oleo system using Bundy tube and compression springs. It is still working well after 30+ years...

I notice on here that some contributors have used cupboard door gas struts as oleos, but there is such a range it is difficult to choose the right ones. From those of you who have successfully used these, can you advise what strength struts have been used successfully (I see a range from 50N to 240N), and any preferred designs or methods of fastenings? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Steve.

Page 125 might help...try the search engine as above. It’s a long thread now, some creative thinking in the  suggestions box  might help!

Edited by cymaz